Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15574 11/20/04 02:54 AM
tribu Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I know through the years there has been discussion of polyphasic (sp?) sleep in this discussion forum.

Does anyone have any idea if the following would work: that is, making yourself sleep in excess in preparation for a few less than ideal regular nights (regular meaning whatever is regular for you)? We hear a lot about "catching up on sleep" after the fact, or during a time of studying, etc. But I wonder if anyone has any information on whether one can sleep ahead, in other words, sleep more than necessary for a few days; and of course, how to go about doing it, "forcing" yourself to sleep more than you're accustomed to. Any specific tapes anyone can recommend for accumulating some sort of "sleep reserve" one can fall back on? In other words, any tapes around that can induce such a "forced" sleep?

Thanks!

Tribu

I have always found that sleeping too much can be as debilitating as sleeping too little.

I do not think that sleeping is like eating. You can't "stock up" on it.

I believe, however, if you get weeks and weeks of really good sleep and take care of yourself you will be more resilient when the lack of sleep effects hit you than if you had not taken care of yourself. I suppose you can stock up on it that way.

There was a movie in which Charles Bronson and a Japanese actor are both in the old west. The Japanese actor plays a Samurai. He says, at some point, that he has learned how to sleep while walking. I always wondered if that were possible. I bet it is.

So you could probably sleep while doing a simple, repetative task.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

In preparation for periods of lack of sleep I recommend meditation over actually 'stocking up' on sleep. The meditation period needs to flow over into the period where you will be low on sleep, as in, you have to keep it up. but 30 minutes of meditation can help you survive an hour or 2 of delayed sleep.

If you cannot do that, when you're feeling tired and sleep deprived 15 minutes of theta entrainment can help, If you meditate you get yourself there if you don't then an entrainment sound track will help. You might continue to feel tired for a few minutes after wards but it's like waking up in the morning. If you don't have entrainment soundtracks try 15 minutes of continuous PhotoReading. Alertness will return and you'll probably find a couple of more hours in you. Then get some real sleep.

Alex

What has worked for me, if you know you will be going without sleep for several days or a lack of it over a period of time, is during meditation, to see yourself going without the sleep but staying alert and active. Seeing your accomplishment and also seeing yourself getting your body clock back on schedule at the completion of the cycle. Step into your body during this visualization and experience it.

Eat as healthy a diet as you can during this lack of sleep process.

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by tribu:,

I know through the years there has been discussion of polyphasic (sp?) sleep in this discussion forum.

Does anyone have any idea if the following would work: that is, making yourself sleep in excess in preparation for a few less than ideal regular nights (regular meaning whatever is regular for you)? We hear a lot about "catching up on sleep" after the fact, or during a time of studying, etc. But I wonder if anyone has any information on whether one can sleep ahead, in other words, sleep more than necessary for a few days; and of course, how to go about doing it, "forcing" yourself to sleep more than you're accustomed to. Any specific tapes anyone can recommend for accumulating some sort of "sleep reserve" one can fall back on? In other words, any tapes around that can induce such a "forced" sleep?

Thanks!

Tribu

"Forced Sleep"... That's an easy one!

I call it "Sandman Dust"...
Reach into the cosmos, with your magic hand, seize a single alpha molecule, bring it to your hand, held over the head of your patient... Using the magic hand superimposed with the actual hand, grind the molecule between thumb and index, into a flaky glittery power that falls through your or patient's head... temporally scrambling their thoughts... so that all that's left to do is be asleep...

Caution! It might be fatal to drop the whole molecule... or not?
I suspect that molecule is more powerful than a nuke... It does what you want of it...
You can't play with alpha-matter until you've establish front brain... Thank goodness for those lab safety features...

Anyway, the person is asleep in a couple seconds...

Once I was applying the sandman dust to my lady's head, when an overly curious remote viewer shoved his hand into the dust, catching most of it...
I reached to my friend whose cells are universes, and reached back, seized the scrambled invader by the neck, slammed him in a chair, commanded "SIT!", "FREEZE!", and smashed it like a hammer hit to a nitrogen froze rose...
Haven't had any cosmic invaders in the bedroom since...

Try the sandman dust... experimentation in that area will quadruple your intellect faster than you can handle... and will place you where you can answer your own question regarding "sleep reserve" (reservoir, source)...
I'm thinking you must evolve to creating another organ and gland, in your body, to create that process to that end... It is possible, but are you ready for this much reality? (are you a Nasa employee?)

Should you ever fear you are close to burn, pull it all back in in three seconds or less... as in "regroup"... It be the only way safely through the fire... to be so much fire that it doesn't know to burn...

[Note: username changed from Life to cosmicbrat]

[This message has been edited by Life (edited January 10, 2005).]

Ha ha ha !!!
ROTFL
LIfe's post is just plain hilarious. That's one fine piece of Newagey mumbo-jumbo gobbldy-gook ! Extremely creative.

To get back on a more serious tone : I do agree that "packing sleep" is really a weird idea, and is totally impossible. Recent research has shown that sleep is mostly a repair mechanism for the brain, to compensate for the wear and tear that the waking activity metabolism exerts on it.

So trying to pack sleep in advance would amount to trying to heal wounds in advance. Until someone invents a functionnal time machine, I don't think any one in the world will ever be able to do that !

Just my 2 cents !

Erwan

PS : there is a known relationship between mean body size and length of sleeping time in mammal species. Smaller mammals have quicker metabolisms and therefore their brain gets "worn out" quicker, and they need to sleep more in a day to make up for that.
Cats sleep up to 18 hours a day, dogs 12 hours, humans 8, and elephants need only 4 hours of sleep (I don't have the figure for blue whales. Anyway cetaceans are specific as they are able to sleep only with one side of their brain, so the othe side of their brain remains alert and can manage getting to the surface to get oxygen).
Maybe you can try to get as fat as an elephent and you'll reduce your sleeping time considerably !!!

More seriously again,

Do try meditation or Theta brainwave entrainment.

When the brain is in theta, the Sodium/Potassium balance in nerve cells is restored. Since Sodium/Potassium imbalance is a natural result of brain activity, and the chief cause of brain fatigue, setting that balance back gets you "up and running" for an extra round. this does NOT, however, help with braincell tissue damage. That is only repaired in Delta (deep sleep). So you will eventually need the sleep anyway.

Try meditating with Holosync CDs, it solved my insomnia problems, and at the same time reduced by 2 hours the amount of sleep I need to be in optimal shape at wake-up.

Cheers again,

Erwan

And DON'T use sleep-inducing drugs.
I tried those, and they don't let you have a normal repairing sleeping session.
You get the impression of sleep, and some of the benefits, but you still feel like you need a rest after you wake up !

Erwan

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved