Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
alvinmc Offline OP
OP Offline

I’ve read many of the threads in this forum, but as a beginner I’m overloaded with information.

My initial and primary objectives are to improve my ADD (not severe) and general self improvement.

I’ve tried several subliminal tapes in past years without success. Recently, I stumbled across a hypnosis/NLP forum and became interested after reading a lot of those threads and the replies to my posts.

I realize I’m going to ask a few questions that are very subjective and that I may be trying to cover too much territory in one thread. Regardless, there are some (seemingly) very intelligent, helpful, and experienced members here and I seek your advice notwithstanding any disagreements between you about the answers. Here goes:

First question is in which “order” would I want to proceed with any of these techniques, second is which can be effectively utilized together, third –perhaps – is which items some of you would say should be dismissed as ineffective (e.g., I realize some members think Centerpointe is a rip-off, at least in terms of pricing)

1. Hypnosis/NLP (initially, at least, under the direction of an experienced hypnotherapist)
2. Sound therapy, binaural – either from
a. Holosync or
b. Self made CDs with available software
3. Light & sound devices, such as
a. MindSpa
b. One of the photosonix devices
4. “Vibration” (!?!) light & sound device such as VibraSound Sensorium

Regarding the light/sound devices, I wonder if some are as overpriced some of you remark about Holosync

alvinmc Offline OP
OP Offline

Also...

The software I found most interesting was Transparant Corporation's Neuro Programmer.

And another interesting sound/light device is Mind Alive Inc's David Paradise (the Paradise XL+ has a "Craino-Electro Stimulation" device added)

quote:
Originally posted by alvinmc:
I’ve read many of the threads in this forum, but as a beginner I’m overloaded with information.

My initial and primary objectives are to improve my ADD (not severe) and general self improvement.

I wonder if I might make an addition to your list? I've had experience with most of the items on your list, and I think all of those are good choices. However, in my experience, they seem to work better if you also do some kind of physical movement, such as QiGong or yoga.

However, your specific challenge--ADD--might be especially to the kind of energy work Donna Eden teaches. She has a book and several videos available (I think some are on DVD as well) at www.inndersource.net. Some of this is also available on amazon. There are some lively conversations with lots of helpful hints on the Yahoo group, Creative Energies.

The past two years have been truly challenging for me, but I've made progress using a combination of Spring Forest QiGong, Donna Eden's work, Luanne Oakes' sound healing programs, and some of the Learning Strategies materials.

Sometimes it's finding the right combination of techniques that "does the trick" rather than looking for just one technique. So perhaps you might find that your intuition will lead you to the techniques that will help the most--if it's more than one, give it some consideration.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeanne:
www.inndersource.net.

Yikes--let's correct that--it should have been: www.innersource.net

My apologies! (Couldn't find the "edit" button.)

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

The edit button is the paper with the pencil icon. It's much easier to post a corrected link than edit

Alex

Personally, I would first use Transparant Corporation's Neuro Programmer's special sessions that address those areas. They already have it all set up, you don't have to do a thing except use it. I love they allow me to try for free two sessions for like 15 days. And I bought it given my improvement and now advance to creating my own scripts. Then I would use professional help if that didn't work. The program cost less than one visit where I live.

It sounds like you just read their forum and not tried it. But you must do what works best for you. I'm do it myself first type of guy, then if can't, get help.
Best,
Richard

alvin,

you asked if there was an order in which you should proceed. well I would put the neurophone and CES at the "bottom of the pyramid"; meaning that it may be useful for some to thoroughly ground their nervous systems with these devices to get the maximum benefit from NLP, light & sound etc.
however, not everyone is the same, some folks may be "already there" in terms of the balancing effects provided by these devices, so they may not feel anything..these are people who will usually be pretty high functioning to begin with.
your description of moderate ADD makes me think you might like one of these, or the combination.

For CES I have used the BT-7 Brain Tuner, and the pink noise version of the Neurophone because it is cheaper and more portable. If you want you can take advantage of toolsforwellness.com's return policy (which I have used and never had any problems with) and check out these devices one at a time to see if they do anything for you. If they don't you can just return them for one of the L/S devices you were talking about, or maybe something else.

Oh, by the way...if you do try CES or the BT-7, remember to soak the cloth electrode covers in sea salt...this is pretty important for maximum results and you can get some at a health food grocery store.

alvin,

here are a couple of free ebooks you might want to check out as well:
http://www.freezoneamerica.org/pilot/self/index.html http://www.trans4mind.com/transformation/

Good luck,

Garic

alvinmc Offline OP
OP Offline

Garics, Richard,

Thanks for the info. I haven't read the ebooks you suggested Garics, but I will. I just wanted to post a quick reply to mention that I have located study done for a PhD thesis by Dr. Ruth Olmstead using a/v stimulation to treat ADD and other learning disabilities. Larry Minikes operates the site www.avstim.com and sells the MindSpa device which has her sessions (you can find a link to Dr. Olmstead's thesis on his site). I've corresponded with him several times over the past week and he is a great guy with a lot of knowledge.

I was excited about finding this research because it's the first study I've seen that actually uses the scientific method with strict standards and subject to peer review. I've seen it suggested on other threads that Bill Harris would be afraid of the results of an actual controlled experiment evaluating the efficacy of his products. I don't know whether they could be proved effective or not, or whether their effectiveness (for those who get positive results) would be shown to be more a result of placebo or expectancy. Regardless, I'm encouraged by Dr. Olmstead's work.

Also Garics - I checked Neurophone device, and noticed the Echofone is a newer item. I saw a brief comparison of the two, but I couldn't tell if the Echofone would actually do most/all that the more expensive Neurophone would do. Do you know?

Thanks for your comments.

As far as the difference between the two devices you are describing, I don't know.
The one I have used and am still using is the Pink Noise Version of the Neurophone, which sells for $290 from toolsforwellness and about $250 from Patrick Flangan's company...you can find that company by doing a yahoo search on Patrick Flanagan (he's the guy who invented the device). It doesn't have an external audio input so you can only set the audio output to either a pink noise setting (which is the one I have used extensively) or a Fibonacci ratio setting which is supposed to induce relaxation and meditation. With the one you are talking about you can have it output anything you'll play out of a stereo.

This pink noise version is the one I was recommending you look at; cause it is at least in the same ballpark as those LS devices as far as price.

And I have gotten some really great results from it. Nothing I have done previously, including EEG biofeedback, has increased my learning ability as much as this device. It definitely has a real balancing effect on the body and the nervous system. One of the incidental effects I noticed yesterday, was that I could hold the "tree pose" in the hatha yoga system indefinitely from either foot without any warmup, which is unheard of for me considering I haven't been doing any yoga for the past two months. My balance is usually just not that great. There is a mental feeling of balance and this seems to be coincident with the body's own sense of balance.

As far as the difference bewteen the two devices you are describing...well I used to browse a bioelectromagnetics yahoo group that seemed to have a lot of technical types who had built their own homeade neurophones...apparently it's not really that hard even, although I haven't looked into the procedure. Anyway some of these folks seeemed to think that the models you could build out of Radio Shack parts and brillo pads were as good as the curent updated model...so I really don't know if there is a very large variation in the basic technology.

Anyway, I have gotten great results from the pink noise model, and for all I know the more expensive ones are that much more effective.

The benefits were the result of using the device on the pink noise setting for at least two hours a day, for a period of two and a half weeks.
It is not something you are going to immediately feel the first time you use the device.

[This message has been edited by garics (edited March 01, 2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved