Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15989 03/27/05 10:41 AM

Erwan

Thanks for replying to my post. It was my first ever post on this forum. You are right in saying that Centerpointe make it clear that falling asleep during a session is okay and does not affect the efficacy of Holosync. Their literature does of course advocate meditating in an upright position rather than in one lying down. I read with interest your last comment when you made reference to ‘getting lazy and doing your meditating lying down’. I say this only because I have always had a niggling feeling that in doing my own meditating lying down I was doing it in a somewhat lazy fashion! That is I felt it was just too easy that way and I invariably fell asleep throughout most of the session as well. In a sense it felt more like a good catnap than a session meditating. I also had a feeling that I was maybe short changing myself and possibly not getting the best out of Holosync by meditating in this way. Let’s face it we have spent good money on the product and are investing about an hour a day on it so it would seem sensible to feel that one is doing it right or at least in a way that offers the maximum benefit. Having said that I do find it ‘harder’ meditating sitting upright but I am going to continue in that way for the time being and see how I progress.

p.s. I should add that I am in no way suggesting that meditating lying down IS lazy, it just happens to FEEL that way for me.

Tanx a lot,
Stevie

#15990 03/27/05 10:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by watcher05:
Hi,

I lie down or otherwise sit in a recliner when I'm doing my session. Its unusual that I fall to sleep but occasionally do go unconscious.

good luck

Watcher05

Can you explain to me what you mean by 'falling asleep' and going 'unconscious'? Are these different experiences for you.

Thanks
Stevie

#15991 03/29/05 10:54 PM

Hi Stevie,

The difference for me is that when one is tired they will generally fall asleep and regardless if they're mediating or not. But for me when I go unconscious (more noticeable when meditating sitting up) I can feel the binaural beats pushing against my nervous system and I can feel myself being drawn down deeper, to the point that my head begins to flop around and I either come back out of it or find myself several moments/minutes later aware that I must of gone unconscious. Quite strange at the time and the wonderful feelings that go with it. Usually my whole body is relaxed etc.

Since I've been lying down alot when meditating I've been catching myself snoring (I've been told that I don't usually snore) and sometimes I'm trying to work out where that sound is coming from. Its coming from me lol :-). Also I’ve been having the dreaded “gasps” when lying down. Its when your falling asleep and something forgets to breath and then all of a sudden I’m taking this deep breath and slightly disorientated, and then come back to awareness.

I intend to go back to sitting up as this seems best to minimise the falling asleep or going unconscious.

When I become used to a level the less this unconscious thing seems to happen - meaning that I'm getting used to each level as I progress.

Remember, this is my experience and may not happen to others.

thanks - Lyall

#15992 03/30/05 04:35 PM

Hi Stevie,

Maybe this will help :
What I do while meditating, as I am sitting is to focus on my sitting position. I sit cross-legged or on a chair with a comfortable cushion under my buttocks and my feet flat on the gorund. I'll let my body relax and feel where it feels uncomfortable, then relax those places that are tense, or straighten the places that feel compressed. Inevitably, I end up after some time in the classical uprright position that you see traditional meditators in : the spine is straignt but relaxed, without any support, the armptits are slightly opened and the hands are resting on the knees or joined on one's lap, facing the sky. the throat and chest are totally relaxed and comfortable. My breathing gets calmer and calmer all by itself without any particular attention being given to it.

By focusing on my sitting position, I get those 2 benefits : 1) it furthers the minds relaxation and silencing, and 2) my body definitely feels better and "full" for the rest of the day. I used to have back problems, but simply by focusing on sitting correctly while doing Holosync, I have eliminated all the pain, and greatly improved my posture.

It can help to do a few sessions with a postural therapis or Chi-Gung teachers, in order to get a feeling of what correct body alignments are.

Or you can check out the following book by BK Frantzis : Relaxing into you being ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963180800/104-2844400-7077521 ). It gives very good instructions on proper body alignmetns for sitting meditation (whatever your school of thought, although I don't think he ever heard of Holosync !)

Cheers,

Erwan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved