Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15995 02/28/05 12:09 AM
tk421 Offline OP
OP Offline

the following passage is something i found on another website:

Immersion is a commonly recommended technique to assist in learning a new language, but it is not very practical for anyone other than students or the independently wealthy. A way to simulate an aspect of immersion, passive listening, can be accomplished with foreign news sites. Passive listening, e.g. having the news on in the background, is often unmentioned when reading about learning languages. My best guess is that you need to hear a word 50 times or so before you can begin to develop an understanding of the word and an approximation of its pronunciation.

For example, to learn French, go to www.rfi.fr and download the half-hour news programs in .wmv files (Windows Media Player compatible). These can be loaded onto windows compatible players. iPod users can convert the files to .m4a or .mp3 using a conversion program, like RogueAmoeba's AudioHijackPro (for Mac OS).

I learned Italian through this process in 6 months. The trick is to let go of your apprehension and anxiety and just let the sounds flow into your brain. You will absorb and process the sounds without any effort. Sounds silly, but that's how children learn languages. Here's how my progress went

Month 1 -- could understand very few words
Month 2 -- first epiphany -- I can see the words as spoken
Month 3 -- about 50% comprehension; topic of conversation
Month 6 -- about 90% on the first pass, 100% on the second.

At the end of the 6th month, I took the Defense Language Proficiency Test for Italian and scored in the top categories for listening and reading.

In addition to the passive listening, I picked up an Italian newspaper a week and I'd read aloud a few articles. Sometimes, I'd consult a dictionary, but most times, I just read the articles aloud. I also took a basic class in Italian grammar, like a college level introductory course.

tk421 Offline OP
OP Offline

I think i am going to try this with a language. Im a lover of languages, im always interested in different methods of learning them. And im a bitter that i didn't have foreign language stuff playing when i was a baby etc. Anyway. I may do this and try to emulate what this guy did. Not sure which language im going to pick.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

One best ways to immerse in a language is to watch the soaps in that language. You get to start following a storyline and the common words are repeated that are not normally taught in a language course, divorce, pregnant, affair, accident and the like. As well as the fact that is is more the everyday langauge that you learn.

So if you have international viewing pick the soaps to immerse in.

Alex

tk421 - Which website did you get this info from? I'm curious at to this person's actual score on the DLPT.

I'm currently studying Chinese at the Defense Lanugage Institute in Monterey, so obviously I have some interest in this.

[This message has been edited by Larry0718 (edited March 06, 2005).]

Sounds interesting, how long you listened italian in day?

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved