Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi there folks,

Just been poking around the forum for a couple of hours.... very interesting!!

I'm really curious about binaural beats / holosync style stuff, and looking into this is what lead me to your site. But despite a wealth of information, here and on the net, I still need to put together a few basics and I'm hoping one of you kind Sirs or Madams could help me.

For example, I know that the difference in the freqs of the 2 stereo channels should induce that freq in the brain. So can you go straight into a 7 hz difference to hit theta or is it better to start at a beta difference (say 16hz) and to work my way down?

Also, is there any difference between using just one tone in each ear, or using many? And if using a few at once, are there any guidelines on how they sould be put together?

And regarding the commercially available programs like holosync / xtrememind.... do you think it would be possible to put together programs of a similar quality for myself? I have been experimenting with an audio program called Audacity (free - and pretty damn good for it - if anyone's interested!). Audacity allows me to create sine waves of my desired frequencies in either right or left channels. I've tried using a tone in each ear, with about 8hz between the two..... it kind of spaced me out but nothing profound. I'd like to experiment further. Any ideas for good starting points?
Another question regarding the commercial progs - I have read that they sould be used for an hour a day or so........ doesn't listening to binaurals for that long send you.... mad or bored or irritated? It starts to do my head in after a couple of minutes. But then I'm probably not doing it right.

I know this is a massive post, with a lot of questions (sorry) but there's one more thing that I've been unable to find infor about. I have done a bit of self hypnosis in the past and wondered if I could use this technology to enhance the experience? Maybe make it quicker or more powerful. The 2 ideas that initially occur to me are:

1. Having the stereo vocal channels identical but separating the frequencies by say 8 hz so as to help induce a theta state.

2. Using binaurals to "go under" quickly before implementing the suggestions.

If anybody has any relevant knowledge, ideas or suggestions I'd be delighted to read. Thanks!!

Mr Sunshine;

There are a couple books put out by Anna Wise that cover alot of technical info on brain waves and her take on it. Tools For Wellness use to carry them but Amazon would also.

Bill Harris of Centerpointe has his own book "Thresholds of the Mind" and discusses Evolutionary Change through the use of Binaural Beats.

Many of the people that seel these type of developement programs recommend they only be used for maybe an hour until you have used them for a certain amount of time, your brain gets confortable, and then up the duration.

Dane Spotts of Mind-Tek and Bill harris have both said they formerly listened for many hours a day when they were in the thick of it. Probably on that journey of self discovery like all of us.

I would say that you can get into a "Overwhelm" state when first starting fairly easy. Until you go through one it's hard to recognize, as you progress it's just another "Bad hair day". The first few of them can be pretty rough though.

I prefer getting the ready made Binaural Beats that come recommended by someone or a company I trust. In this regard "Toolsforwellness.com" has been very reliable to me.

Paul's Paraliminal Series recently was a very big help to me when I had a rather large test/licensing exam to take. It also makes use of Holosync Technology.

Best of Luck to you, have a happy adventure.

Jeff

Hi Mr. Sunshine:

Jeff's answer was pretty comprehensive, and I'd say I agree with all of it.

You also wanted some info regards using Hypnosis with the Binaural beat technology, though, and I can give you some first-hand advice on that. I will qualify by saying that I am a hypnotherapist (hypnotist), so you can understand I have a fair bit of experience with this, and I am also a user of Holosync and the Paraliminals.

Paul uses the H/S in the Paraliminals (which include aspects of hynposis, as well as NLP) to really good effect. If you are considering creating a binaural product for yourself to assist with hypnosis, I'd suggest you research carefully where you want to go in your hypnosis. As well, understand that hypnosis is used for a wide range of reasons - from personal motivation programming to pain control and anesthesia, and each reason works better at different depths of hypnosis. Obviously, for pain control you need a much deeper level. It might be tempting to try to produce an effect that would get you there faster, but you're probably much safer working with a certified hypnotist, and have them show you how you can achieve the same thing without technology and within a short 'down-time'.

If you are using Holosync, and want to use hypnosis along with it, the first half of each CD will bring you into at least the theta level, which is relatively deep for most motivational work, and you can provide yourself with suggestion if you are able to remain relatively conscious. I would suggest that this would be a time separate from your regular Holosync time, if you are in the program. It is relatively useless to try to use hypnosis with the second part "Immersion" of the Holosync because most of that time is spent in the delta, sleep level, which is beyond the range of where subconscious programming works, except for the subliminals that are included in the 12 levels ABOVE the initial Holosync Awakening Prologue CD.

I have used Audacity for doing some sound editing, and it is a good program, however, I'd still caution that unless you REALLY know what you're doing, don't subject yourself to prolonged periods of modulated sound just to experiment. People have been known to put themselves through a lot of misery by mis-using this stuff - even Bill Harris himself admitted to that.

Cheers!
Unis

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Ramp it. State at high alpha and then allow the frequencies to lower. If you do a couple of sharp drops in frequencies you need to plateu at that level for 3 to five minutes maning if you want to take yourself to deep theta you'll have a long program. If you want to take the mind down quickly make more steps and you only need to plateau 30 seconds and a minute every 5 steps.

Also when you've reached your desire point (e.g. deep theta) you might want to spike it by taking the frequency back up to e.g. Alpha for a minute and then drop it back down.

The ones that have worked it out aren't going to give you their trade secrets so you're left with playing with it and seeing what you get.

I suggest a visit to the Bwgen and see if anyone can offer suggestions. Mine are from the general suggestions that come with the Light and Sound device I have. There's a lot more information on the web about what frequencies you want in order to do what, E.g Learning, psychic ability has a certian measure, sellf healing has a different frequency. While we know what the frequency appears to be the correct on even with entrainment the mind does not necessarily fall into exactly that frequency while listening to entrainment. That's because all brainwave types are always present to some degree.

Alex

Hitting 7 Hz directly or ramping down will both work. Entrainment can be a slow process unless you are used to it. The high alpha that Alex suggests is more likely to be where your predominant frequencies are. I personally go right to where I want to go.

Other folks do it other ways. Here's approximately how fast they go on Holosync's "the dive." Keep one tone constant at about 120 Hz and move the other.

0 - 3 minutes 10 Hz
3 - 6 minutes 9 Hz
6 - 9 minutes 8 Hz
9 - 10 1/2 9 Hz
10 1/2 - 12 7 Hz
12 - 14 6 Hz
14 - 18 5 Hz
18 - 21 3.8 Hz
21 - 29 2.4 Hz

The tones on the Euphoria paraliminal are similar rate change but the drone tone is about 141 Hz but it stops at 3.5 Hz.

Dick Sutphen uses monaural beats (same frequency but amplitude modulated) which work just fine also and he starts up around mid beta and gets to theta in about 3 or 4 minutes.

The Monroe Institute basically just goes to the frequencies they want though they will hang out in a state for a while before descending on some.

Everybody is different. Find out what rate works best works for you.

More than one tone. By all means. Makes things more interesting. As for combining tones, that is an art as well as a science. In general try and follow the rules of music theory if you want them to sound good. The harmonic series is your friend.

Carrier placement is important.

Can you put together programs similar to the CD one buys. Absolutely! Just remember though "they" have been doing it for years and years while you are just starting out on an exciting journey. It takes a heck-of-a-lot-of time to "tune the dial."

Use audacity to "tune the dial" and experiment with the different EEG frequency bands. Get a feel for high theta versus low alpha. Some beats will really get ya going while others will seem to have no effect. Learn what works for you.

Binaural beats (audio entrainment) tends to be a slower process but after a while you can learn to sync up pretty quickly. It is not particularly dramatic. You won't be ripped out of your body but you'll probably get zonked. <grin>

You get bored listening to the same tones for long periods of time? No. You are not doing anything wrong. It can seems boring. It also frustrates the heck out of the "monkey-mind." Just make sure the sound levels are not too high. Lower volumes work better.

I personally don't think there is a danger in listening for long periods of time except boredom. There are frequencies that can be unsettling, some of that is the effect of sounds on the inner ear (balance). You can create frequencies that scramble you but why? Find ones that work for your purposes.

In hypnosis you can go too deep to do much good (insert- sound of snoring). In general theta is kind of dreamy and a good one to use. Alpha is considered the bridge between the conscious and unconscious mind.

OP Offline

Hey folks, sorry it's been so long. Been working hard and only just made it back. Big THANKS to jeffdengr, Unis, Alex & Alan for all that fantastic info - it was perfect - interesting, relevant, and much more help than I ever expected to get.

Right now I'm looking at this from a self-helpy angle... working on beliefs and habits... where the ideal state would be theta, right?

But it seems that binaurals are not any quicker in getting you down there than conventional hypnosis. The brainwaves must take a while to respond to the tones I guess. I mean if an induction can get you down in 5 - 10 (even quicker with an pre-installed anchor) it would seem a better (or at least easier, lol) option to me. Or are binaurals more reliable / mechanical... say if I wanted to definitely hit theta at a certain time?

Btw, why is it good to "spike" the theta with an alpha? And is that just a short blast of the alpha one in the middle, or does it need to be slid up and down again?

I think that you can use binaurals with other music on top... is there a point where that starts to get in the way or decrease the effect?

And finally, what is your (anyone!) vibe on using a binaural program overlapped with affirmations - in conjunction with self hypnosis?

I realise that a lot of it is down to individual differences... I'm just hoping to shortcut some of the stuff that others have tried & tested.

Cheers!

Theta may or may not be appropriate for what you are trying to do. According to Anna Wise (and Dawna Markova?) the alpha state is the bridge between the conscious and not normally conscious minds.

It may be that is why Alex suggested spiking the alpha after doing theta for a while.

In general the lower frequency beats give bigger picture (global) cogitation. Buzzy little beta wave give detail but no gestalt. If you want some fun try using delta beats while you are photoreading.

You can use words (hypnosis) to generate brain states based on the tasking those words generate. The result is not as precise as making a specific receipe for certain frequencies of consciousness.

I think the binaurals may be more useful for unstructured exploration while the hypnotic languaging is more task oriented.

Mix 'em and match 'em. Whisky with a beer chaser. The Monroe Institute folks do talking before binaural beat sequences and the auditory guidance makes a big difference. Just plain binaural beats (especially single or double) can be very boring.

Much of the music/binaural combinations are just layered over and not a crafted whole. Some music is as effective as binaural beats.

The frequency following response is going on with the music and the beats. Things can get muddy. For me, anything over a half dozen tone pairs requires careful thought.

Present and prior state also play a role. For example, I can dial up some beat combinations that, early in the morning after a pot of strong coffee, do wonderful things. Then in the afternoon when I listen to them I go, "Ick." The really worthwhile combination are those that are universal.

If you are trying to combine music and tones at least calibrate to the western pitch standard of A=440 and use the harmonic series to keep open voicings on your chords.

I'm not an affirmation fan but that is just me. I am a big double induction fan. You can "riff" on one voice while the other voice leads you on. John Overdurf and Julie Silverthorne are great at that.

Paul Scheele keeps both voices moving. I like the indirect less authoritarian approach he uses. There is a lot of work that goes into his tapes.

Unless you had a special need for something I'd just fork out $30 clams for one of Paul's tapes and be done with it. They now have binaural beats with them.

OP Offline

Hey Alex, thanks a lot fot that, sounds like you know your stuff good. And I'm a big fan of the whiskey / beer chaser in it's own right....

I also get what you're saying about being easier just to buy... there's obviously some stuff to this that's beyond my level of knowledge right now. Anyhow, I want to do a few (hopefully killer) tracks to give away online, so I could do with some copyright free material! That also means I'd prefer it to be good for a wide range of people (as opposed to being tailored to me specifically)

Do you mind if I run a plan by you to check I've understood correctly?

I might do a slow hypnotic induction with the aim of getting as deep a state as possible, which can be anchored in for future reference. This could have some slowly decending binaurals in the background(adjusting down to 120?), to strengthen the possibility of getting a deep state. I might put some low volume music over this, something elevatory, so as not to distract.

After this anchoring preparation, I would have a range of shorter, specific inductions to choose from, all making use of the same anchor. I could put a straight theta binaural over these inductions to encourage as deep a response as possible, and maybe some of that dodgy elevator stuff again....

Also, when you say one voice riffs and the other leads, do you mean that one repeats some affs, while the other leads a visualisation / induction?

Cheers, Martin

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved