Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Right now I am listening to Paul Mckenna's trance at his web site at www.paulmckenna.com/trance. He gives that site from his book.

Now when I listen to his trance, I cant say I am totally concentrated and that my mind is always on it. But I guess I do notice myself procrastinating less and gettting myself to do tasks more.

I also remember doing a paraliminal or another course like abundance for life and I think I had a conversation with Paul Scheele and he mentioned that the course is working whether we realize it or not. Or the paraliminal works without us realizing or learning is taking place but we dont realize it.

I am wondering for any whole brain CD to work does our mind have to be concentrated on it or it can work even if almost none of our attention is there.

Speaking of something working whether we realize it or not. I remember Fritz we responded my post on whether photoreading works for chess. He seemed to give a pretty honest and frank view of it. He mentioned how he photoread the chess books and nothing was happening or nothing was coming up. Than he plays another master, btw he is also a master himself which he mentions in the post and he ends up playing an opening and wins. The opening he won with, was move by move from a book he photoread.

I got to say a lot of times when I listen to a paraliminal or listen to a whole brain tape were they talk on both sides of your ear, my mind tends to say does this work or not. I realize for all this it helps if you have complete faith. But could the tapes work despite our deeply held beliefs.

I am wondering if my conscious mind can really be bypassed?

Parag

Hypnosis may just be a mind-job.

For instance, someone could hypnotize you to paralyze your hand, and you could try to move it just to find that you couldn't.

Then again, I could say to you, "Pretend you've just been hypnotized by me and that I've given you a command you cannot resist. That command is you cannot move your hand."

Now, in the second case you'd pretend it, and to the extent that you could really get into it and keep pretending, you could find that, wow, this thing has sorta taken a life of its own, and you really could try to move your hand and fail to move it.

That's hypnosis, as far as I know.

Stage hypnotists find people, so I am told, with the best imaginations, who can really get into something, and make believe it's true ... so much that it has an effect upon them.

Someone could make suggestions that produce real physiological responses. The question is, how much of it is them doing it and how much of it is you doing it to yourself? In my experience, it's great when there is a little of both.

Someone can set up a situation in which certain responses from you are very likely to occur, and they can use their voice (tonality, tempo, etc) to evoke emotional, physical, and psychological responses from you. All of this is geared toward convicing you that hypnosis and the hypnotist has power over you.

In short, you are doing it to yourself. It's like ritual magick. You create a scenario in which certain things are likely to happen. You modify your environment such that certain attributes, qualities, behaviors, etc. are evoked within you. Then you mobilize some ritual that engages the forces within you that are necessary to help bring about some change.

That's it.

You're doing it to yourself.

A hypnotist can influence you, bypass you conscious mind, or whatever, in so far as you really, really believe, pretend, fool yourself (or whatever) that he or she can.

So, knowing this, pretend with all your might that your conscious mind has been bypassed. Dedicate yourself to acting as if you have been completely hypnotized and given whatever suggestion it is, and go with it all the way.

As Milton Erickson said, hypnosis is primarly concerned with the communication of ideas. Stephen Gilligan's take on that is that the ideas are communicated to the experiential self or unconscious.

So, you have a bunch of words, some ideas, some made up stuff, and you translate them into their embodiment in your life. That's hypnosis.

You feed the ideas and give them power by acting as if.

People who were hypnotized and carried out the crazy suggestions of a stage hypnotist reported stuff like, "A part of me knew that I was just acting out on suggestions and it wasn't real, but another part of me really believed it was true." Isn't that interesting?

[This message has been edited by babayada (edited September 25, 2005).]

Many years ago I asked a hypnotherapist to give me a suggestion under trance to write a computer program I had really struggled to write. It was mainly the algorithm I couldn't get. She did and I forgot that she did.

Many years later something triggered and I began to tackle the problem. I worked day and night really stretching myself to utter extremes. I was totally focused and I was NOT going to give up no matter what. Anyway I finished the program. I know it was quite small, only about 1000 lines. But..

I thought it was my idea, and myself that was being extremely focused. Then I remembered the hypnotherapist had given me the suggestions. My hypnotherapist often gave me dates as triggers...I don't know why, possibly as incubation times. I thought it was all me doing it. But I realize the extreme focus and discipline was something like a trance. But it just felt like me.

Hypnotherapists have the highest responsibilty, and you should never let just anybody hypnotize you, as I have many times in my life, with great regret. Say for instance a friend, you ask them to hypnotize you for a certain purpose, you wake up from a sleep like state and wonder why the girl knows the colour of your underpants. Only many years later did I realize that I had asked them to hypnotize me, and that I had not woken from sleep, but from a trance. I also much later realized that I was one of the victims of students hypnotizing people at our college that the headmaster had told to stop over the intercom in the first class after the incident. Point is it can be far more serious than checking the colour of your underwear, so DON'T let a friend or anybody but a Qualified Hypnotherapist hypnotize you, and don't try to hypnotize your friends, if you are not qualified. Even if you ask them to hypnotize you for so and so reason I think the power they feel becomes a temptation which they easily slip into.

Trance is very real...every state of mind is a trance state. Counselors who realise this often find it useful to "de-hypnotize" clents- that is, help them out of a state that is not useful, and into one that is, then teach them to have the choice. You could even see the paraliminals that way...

Yes, trances can be harmful- like the paralysis of phobia or explosion of rage- and trances can be good- like romantic love, being "in the groove" or "flow" etc. Every sword has two edges, they say...

Yes, find someone who is competent, and who you feel comfortable being vulnerable with, and whos aproach and philosophy fit for you,as it can be quite intimate.

vitaman

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved