Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17197 03/23/06 03:13 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

Writing in another forum about another topic got me thinking about this documentary I saw on PBS recently. It featured the incredible mind-over-matter abilities of Tibetian monks. For example, they can sleep outside in the dead of winter with only a light sheet for covering. They can also completely dry towels which had been soaked in freezing water which had been draped over their bodies, all while in frigid conditions. They do this all while in a deep meditation. Conditions which would quickly send 99.99% of us into fatal hypothermia are completely benign to these monks. And they can reproduce the results on demand.

So, despite all the recent attempts to westernize meditation techniques to us fat, lazy Americans (what about that ad that proclaims you can achieve meditative states of a Tibetian monk in 5 minutes, an not have to spend 5 years to learn it like a real Tibetian monk!), I have yet to see a western practitioner of meditation exhibit the truly astonishing feats of generating inner heat, as I saw in the PBS documentary. There's certainly a difference between a gimmick and the Real Thing.

Does anyone here know of a western guru who has mastered inner heat capabilities? Is inner heat generation a teachable method which can be authentically reproduced? Or, do I have to go join a Tibetian monestary to learn it?

#17198 03/23/06 03:56 PM

I think Richard Bandler might be able to do that if he would see any point in it. I have twice been in his training courses and he does show great ability.

Of course I wouldn't be sure. But he says he has been to India to teach relaxing to people. In the home country of yoga! And it's them that asked him to come...

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited March 23, 2006).]

#17199 03/24/06 06:49 AM

I think I did see that show 5 years ago or one just like it and it absolutely blew my mind. I also remember them burying a guy for 7 days and he came out alive and some other guys jogged barefoot for 27 days (or something like that) over all sorts of terrain and they're feet handled it all.

If you think about it, those guys didn't wake up one day able to do all those things. They probably started small, and by that I mean both with small feats (not life threatening) and started from birth surrounded by people doing those things so there was no such thing as the belief in limitation.

Tibetia Monks don't just train daily to do these feats, they live their whole lives differently than we do. These performances are the side effects of how they live. Their lives are simple and they are completely devoted to listening to and obeying the Universe. How could anyone born and raised in the USA do what they do? They live in a completely different world.

When I read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda I pretty much had the same reaction to it that you are having with this show you saw. Man, it would be nice to be able to do all that, even if it's just for fun but take a look around you. Look at all the time we spend just working on survival. Cooking, eating, working, fixing the house, doing chores, and taking care of family takes most of our time. I'm lucky if I have 2 hours a day to devote to spiritual study so how far and how fast am I going to evolve compared to Tibetian Monks who spend their whole lives in devotion? I just can't compare.

If you want to simplify your life so that you have more time to meditate and train this way, go for it but I wouldn't look to the West for someone who can do all this stuff you saw. No one here has even had the time. I'm not saying there aren't highly evolved people over here we can learn from but none over here are at the level of the Monks. They are truely unique.

I heard a story long ago about a young man who went and saw a concert violinist perform. He was so moved that he had to find out the masters secret. After the show the young man waited outside the back door of the concert hall in the hopes of being able to talk to him. When he finally came out the young man ran up to him and said, "I would give my whole life to be able to play like that!" The violinist looked at him and said, "I did."

Very few people give their whole lives to anything. Most of us have so many responsibilities that our attention and energy is so scattered all over the place that it's a wonder any of us are good at any one thing!

The best we can hope for living where we live is to find a balance between our mundane lives and a life of exploring and practicing these higher possibilities.

There's one thing you have that these Monks don't have. You are in hell compared to them. You are living in and surviving a hell on earth. You have gone through things that they can't even imagine. The psychological gravity that you have to live with would bury them. Sure, they live in the garden of eden and can meditate all day and bend reality but if you think about it, you're doing the same thing only in a completely different environment. You are working against the forces around you where you are and are accomplishing things too, maybe it's not heating your body up or anything like that but you've experienced comparable stress (psychologically) and by working with your will you've changed your reality so that it doesn't kill you, and it DOES kill people. Just making the best of a bad situation is a miracle if you look at it. Those Monks will never experience the death of a child. They'll never know what it's like to lose everything in a divorce or be wrongly convicted and imprisoned. They'll never have a business fail. They'll never watch their parents rot in a nursing home. Our miracles, our achievements, our trials, even though they don't seem like much- if they were to watch us on tv maybe they'd be as amazed at us as we are of them.

I think that in our own way, we are bending the reality around us just like they are, only in a different environment and under different circumstance. Technology is both a blessing and a curse. We are fighting against a machine that didn't even exist 100 years ago. They're doing what they're ancestors did 5,000 years ago. In many ways we're poineers compared to them because our battlefield is uncharted territory and we're literally navigating by trial and error. By simply questioning reality, you're in the battle. You've voluntarily joined a fight that almost everyone else has said the heck with. Those Monks have broken reality where they are and I think you're doing the same thing here. I don't think you need to go to Tibet. Your Tibet is right here. Bend YOUR reality.

#17200 03/24/06 01:50 PM

"Coldrayne does it again!" Absolutely marvelous response.

#17201 03/24/06 01:54 PM

Coldrayne,

By the way, have you read "Disappearance of the Universe" by Gary Renard?

#17202 03/24/06 04:38 PM
OP Offline

Coldrayne,

Thanks for that marvelous response. You definitely have the gift of writing and perspective.

What I also find interesting is how the Dali Lama is so interested in western civilization and modern technology. He's certainly very well-rounded.

Imagine the possibilities if the best of the east merged with the best of the west. I wonder if it is time for such a leap in our evolution. Perhaps it is our next step?

#17203 03/24/06 04:49 PM
OP Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen:
I think Richard Bandler might be able to do that if he would see any point in it. I have twice been in his training courses and he does show great ability.

Thanks for the info, Oxygen. I've never heard of Bandler, but I'll keep my eye out for info about him. Yes, I can see why demonstrations of these kinds of physical feats might be considered unimportant in the higher view of the universe. But when someone says that, it's hard to discern whether he is saying it because he really can do it, or if he really can't do it.

Like, I'm reminded of stories of Christ when he performed miracles, when sometimes he did so reluctantly, doing so only because he knew his followers were weak and needed physical validation of his true powers. We humans are weak and need "proof" to be able to distinguish the con artists from the real masters. Part of the fault, of course, is our limited human natures, which not only causes us to doubt, but also which causes some of us to become cons in the first place. History is full of them. And the future will be, too. The highest wisdom comes when we can discern the real truth.

#17204 03/24/06 08:22 PM

I haven't read that book yet. I haven't even read "The Holographic Universe" and people have been raving about it for years. I'm to the point where most of what I read is information overlap. I read a book called "The Self Aware Universe" and another called "The Tao of Physics" and honesty those books set my bar so high that when I go back and read about the criss cross of quantum physics and spirituality, I already know it already. For me it's a question of "what am I going to do now?" I really like people who show you how to apply what they teach in the real world right now and don't just preach airy-fairy ideas and leave it at that. Practical application is required not just for Mastery but for use itself. If something isn't useful at all, then why are we even talking about it? Let's all talk about a million dollars we can't spend while we're at it. I think this idea does come from the Dali Lama in explaining Zen. What you do and what you know should be one thing. Don't concern yourself with stuff you can't do. That doesn't mean don't stretch yourself but if you talk about an idea, soon afterward use it for something or else the unused knowledge becomes a curse. In the West we have a term for someone who knows alot of things but has done nothing with them- educated idiot. I personally think that spiritually I am an educated idiot in that I continued to study and read without applying anything and using it for anything and I actually started to believe things that my own mind constructed out of the particles of information that I took from here and there, but I really knew nothing and could do nothing, but I had a head full of thoughts. What's funny now is everytime I have a breathrough of any kind it's because I unravel something I have memorized and actually use it to have an experience and I'm like "whoa!" and I could have had the understanding years ago if I would have used the information, but I didn't. I just continued to cram more and more information in. Maybe it's a phase we all go through, maybe not. I spent 30 years building the mansion, I guess I'm going to spend the next 30 tearing it down.

#17205 03/24/06 09:56 PM

What you are speaking of is gTummo, pronounced rather like "Dumo" in English. It is something I actually stumbled across as a child, perhaps helped from "the other side." I was in a predicament as a wee one and would have otherwise probably suffered badly from the cold. As it was, my parents came in and were shocked to find that I was hot, and feared I had gotten a fever. In fact, I'd heated up the entire room.

I still use it--it's also quite healing, by the way--from time to time, and have incorporated it into my Reiki practice (which I think might have had its roots in gTummo teachings). It's a good way to stay warm in the winter.

If you would like to read more about it from people who actually practice gTummo, I suggest you first read "The Bliss of Inner Fire" by Lama Thubten Yeshe, and anything you can find on the Six Yogas of Naropa--the first of which includes the practice of Inner Fire; in other words, the gTummo fires are actually the beginning. But the "Bliss" book is by far the best, and some of my own students have experienced the Fires simply from reading the book. In many, it seems to evoke the process.

I am not sure that Bandler teaches this, as his thing seems to be more along the NLP material. This is not NLP or even hypnosis.

Jeanne

#17206 03/24/06 10:05 PM
OP Offline

Awesome, Jeanne ...

Thanks SO much for sharing! I'll definitely look into gTummo from the sources you recommend, and I'll let everyone know if I master the skill. Great to learn that it's a skill that's attainable. (I've always had cold hands and feet in the winter ... I hope this will help )

Question: when you generate extra heat like that, do you get ravishly hungry afterward from burning up all those calories? Or, does the energy source come from outside the body, and not within the mitochondria (energy producing, sub-celluar organelles)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved