Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18088 08/09/00 12:20 PM
FraserB Offline OP
OP Offline

I noticed in one of your responses that you say you "avoid sugars, caffeine, and foods high in fats".

Is there any reason for this ???? How does eating/drinking these affect Photoreading techniques ????

Any thoughts/ ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Fraser

#18089 08/10/00 12:10 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

The effects of those items on the brain are not conducive to optimal learning. I'll see if I can hunt down specific studies for you. Remind me in a couple of weeks if you don't see a post from me.

#18090 08/10/00 03:05 PM

I would assume that the effects of caffeine have to do with decreasing alpha brain waves and increasing beta brain waves. Getting into state (whether using PhotoReading, Lasonov's techniques, Wenger's Image Streaming, etc.) tends to increase alpha wave production, which is related to relaxed states of mind and body. It's these relaxed states that have been found conducive to accelerated learning. I would also guess that there is an effect due to constriction of blood vessels that would lessen the amount of oxygen getting to the brain, which might impede optimal functioning of the mind during the learning process (one of the things suggested in the book, the home course, and the seminar is to drink pleanty of water - it helps as a transport mechanism for oxygen).

#18091 08/21/00 04:52 PM
FraserB Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Pete,

have you managed to find the information you mention above ?

Thanks,

Fraser

#18092 08/22/00 12:21 AM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Haven't found the information yet. One of our instructors thought something was referenced in Herbert Benson's Beyond the Relaxation Response.

Paul is out of town for a couple of weeks. I'll leave a message on his voice mail, and if he can put his fingers on something, I will post it here.

#18093 08/22/00 04:00 AM

If I recall correctly ... caffeine and foods high in fat etc ... tend to play with energy levels of the body and affect brain functioning to some degree ... that the non scientific answer.

If you must dring ... clean water is your best bet! I recall that drinking plenty of water helps to get oxygen to the brain.

Getting necessary sleep and exercise also help when PR.

#18094 09/27/00 04:21 PM
FraserB Offline OP
OP Offline

Any update on this Pete ?

Fraser

#18095 09/28/00 02:32 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

McCarthy says in "Mastering the Information Age" that caffeine decreases blood flow to the brain, but does not cite specific studies.

#18096 09/29/00 11:27 PM

I thought that I would put in my 2 cents about this topic. Foods that are high in fats are difficult to digest and hence make your stomach work harder to break them down. Some meals can take 6 or more hours to digest. That requires blood flow. The stomach cells need to be continually replenished with glucose and other nutrients because they are working so hard. When that is occuring there is less nutrient rich blood to go to your brain (less oxygen as well).

If photoreading is anything like studying then it takes a tremendous amount of energy to function at that high of a level. Thought is hard work and the cells need to be given food, water, nutrients to help support that activity. Blood is the transport system but there is only so much of it to go around when the stomach is its priority.

Caffeine is a stimulant and is not really conducive to high level thinking. Its like a fog that prevents crystal clear thinking. I learned of this first hand during final exams at university. I was feeling tired from studying and I did a bonehead thing and bought some caffeine pills. Man I was wide a wake but I just couldn't memorize anything. I felt like jumping around and I was filled with nervous energy but I just couldn't concentrate.

Why? My theory is much like the flight or fight situation when a person in danger (stress also triggers this response.) When a person is in this situation they produce adrenalin and cortisol. The heart rate jumps and blood flow is channeled to the muscles. Because you need to be quick to move due to the danger. What that translates to is a lack of blood flow to the brain. Its hard to do any high order thinking when your brain cells are not getting what they need.

Enter Caffeine the stimulant. Being a stimulant it artifically triggers the fight or flight response.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved