Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18378 10/22/00 08:20 PM
OP Offline

I bought the photoreading book to help me sift throught the vast amount of work I need to read. Though the book was not beneficial to me I phoned up Lifetools who told me to buy the home course as this would help or enrol in the seminar but as I could not afford the seminar I chose to buy the home course.

Despite going through the course several times I have not had any success in Photoreading and Lifetools has not been any help and now have gone into recievership.

So what should I do now?

#18379 10/22/00 11:57 PM

I have a few questions:

- How many books have you Photoread? I started getting results when I went for several weeks Photoreading 2-3 books/day.

- Do you allow yourself to get into state before starting?

- Are you following all the steps without shortcuts? I believe the shortcuts shouldn't come until after you're getting results.

- How are you activating the books? How many have you activated?

#18380 10/23/00 01:17 AM

I feel that a person really needs to go into this program expecting to succeed. We all have similar nervous systems which is to say if one person can master this system then I believe that we all can.

If you could be more specific about were you have been experiencing difficulties perhaps we can help you out.

#18381 10/23/00 03:59 AM

mgrego2
When you began photoreading and read 2-3 books a day, were you going all the way through the rapid reading step? Did you PR one day and activate the next? Were you activating all of the books? How much time did you spend each day photoreading? I know that everyone is different, but how long did it take until you felt like you were really getting it? I am also new to PR. Maybe the answers to these questions will help Parvinder out too.

#18382 10/23/00 04:13 AM

Jennifer,

I followed the first 3 steps on every book. I only activated 1-2 books/week. It's interesting that, although I may not have a conscious awareness of much of a book, I know after the PR step whether or not I want to activate. There is a feeling there that I don't need to do anything else. I drop those books and pursue them no further.

When I do activate, I tend to do it at least a day after the PR step (sometimes it's several days if things get busy).

The timing issue was a big one for me. I spent too much time doing everything. When I first started, I would spend an hour or more doing the first three steps. Paul is very clear in the homestudy course that you should stick to his time schedule. When I did, the results improved (and so did my satisfaction with the process--I hated PhotoReading when I was allowing that step to take 30 minutes for a book). Now, I try to spend around 5 minutes on prepare/preview and 5-10 minutes PhotoReading (depending on the book).

I recommend the 5 day plan. My first experience was not at all impressive but I realized afterward that I wasn't being true to the PR steps. The second experience was great. I followed all the steps explicitly and got a great deal out of a book with less than 2 hour's effort over 5 days. This second attempt was what really got me excited.

Another thing I did that was a mistake, was trying to activate a book by mindmapping the whole thing (Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3...). With the second attempt at the 5-day plan, I mindmapped based on my trigger words. I mindmapped concepts, rather than book structure. It made a big difference.

#18383 10/23/00 01:43 PM

I too am fairly new to Photreading and have had little success. I'm trying to follow some suggestions from this group regarding reading 5-10 books a day and activating 1 a week. I've been doing that for a week now and can't say I've noticed any difference yet. The books I've been reading are technical programming books most of which are in excess of 1000 pages.

My question: Is the number of books important or the quantity of pages. In the home study course, books of 200-300 pages are recommended. This would be 1000-3000 pages using the 5-10 books rule. Should I ignore the numbers and just go for Photoreading for a minimum length of time per day?

#18384 10/23/00 02:21 PM

This may just be a preference issue, but I would go with more books that are shorter in size. Topics that aren't too daunting and books short enough (300-400 pages) that a PhotoReading session doesn't take too long. I don't know if the analogy applies, but when I did programming, I would start out testing my work with a smaller collection of data. It allowed me to check results without long, drawn-out processing periods. Your conscious mind and inner mind are both learning this process (and to work with each other in a more collaborative manner), why not go easy on them at first? I guess my thought is that starting with shorter books allows you to get closure on a given book more rapidly.

I would go to the library and pick up arms full of general business or self-help books (or whatever suits you). Books that you don't have a big need to see results with. Putting too much pressure on yourself can interfere. Start with books that look interesting but which don't have a direct bearing on your work/career.

Notice when you've PhotoRead a book whether you think yhou need to activate. If you don't, move on. If you do, activate the book and notice how quickly you can move through it and gather the relevant information. When you're done, notice whether or not you feel the need to pursue the book further.

#18385 10/23/00 06:24 PM
OP Offline

I have gone through the course several times and have photoread numerous books. I have used the activation techniques suggested without any luck. I have also constructed mind maps of all the texts I photoread without any benefit. I have been photoreading since January ( 10 months of photoreading between 3-6 books a week. Lifetools where I bought it from made out that their workers were skilled photoreaders but they were unable to answer my queries. )

My outlook remains positive and I hope for some advice to enable me to photoread.

#18386 10/23/00 06:47 PM

Parvinder,

You state that you PhotoRead without any luck. What were your expectations? What was your experience? Have you found any of the postings here (either in this topic or other topics) helpful?

#18387 10/23/00 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Parvinder:
I have gone through the course several times and have photoread numerous books. I have used the activation techniques suggested without any luck. I have also constructed mind maps of all the texts I photoread without any benefit. I have been photoreading since January ( 10 months of photoreading between 3-6 books a week. Lifetools where I bought it from made out that their workers were skilled photoreaders but they were unable to answer my queries. )

My outlook remains positive and I hope for some advice to enable me to photoread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved