Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18400 10/25/00 03:02 AM
OP Offline

I know that you are supposed to closely follow the PR system when you are learning to photoread. I am curious though, has anyone tried the Photoreading step first and then proceeded through the other steps? I have a few more questions. When you first started super reading, what queues did you get from your mind to dip? How did you avoid overdipping? How long did it take for you to get the hang of mindmapping? I think that I spend too much time worrying that I am missing the small details, when cognitively, I know that with this system I am going for the main ideas.

Thanks for any advice
Jen

#18401 10/25/00 04:42 AM

Any tried PR first? I think I have. The first day of the 5-day plan is just prepare/PR. You don't preview the book until the second day.

Cues? I struggle with this one still. You're looking for your body's own intuitive signals. In the past, when you've had intuitive flashes, how did they come? Encourage your inner mind to give you similar signals (feelings, images, sounds...) to indicate the useful information.

Overdipping? A constant struggle for me because I LOVE reading. As soon as the information no longer seems directly relevant to your purpose, stop. For instance, you're getting three more paragraphs that substantiate the useful nugget you already read.

Mindmapping? Go for the concepts that are key to your purpose. You can mindmap too much, just like you can dip too much. Don't worry about mapping every chapter. Map the stuff that seems useful to you as you dip. If you want more info, look for: The Mind Map Book by Tony Buzan, Mindmapping by Joyce Wycoff, or the tape on mindmapping by Michael Gelb. All are excellent resources.

I would argue that you aren't just going for main ideas with PR. You can get that from reading the jacket of the book and looking at the table of contents. Hopefully, with PR, you are quickly getting the information that is relevant to your needs.

#18402 10/25/00 12:17 PM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

I definitely prefer to PhotoRead material first, but it really is a personal preference. Explore it both ways.

Many people have said that following the 5-day plan curtails over-dipping. You see, one of the goals is to get the entire book super read and dipped within the 30-minute period.

Unless it is a small book, you cannot over-dip and still get through the book.

When you do the process over several days you learn that you get the book in an incredibly short period of time without over-dipping.

There is nothing wrong with over-dipping if you have all of the time in the world, or if you are curled up some evening for pleasure with a book. But, when you are looking to zip, learn, and go on with your life, then...

#18403 10/26/00 05:31 AM

Jennifer I think that the audio program gives many assignments to establish trust in the dipping process. During that program they give short articles to read with a purpose.

Initially when I was dipping those articles I felt like I was skipping to much information. But when I went back and read the whole article I found that I had indeed read everything that was relevant to my purpose. That kind of an exercise establishes trust in the process. Trust is key to dipping.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved