Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello All,

I’m a computer neophyte and a novice PhotoReader who is pursuing a career change in the computer field. I am extremely optimistic that the PhotoReading whole mind system will be very instrumental in my achieving this aim. I have a question directed at the Information Technology pro’s who have used the PhotoReading system for IT training, certifications and career enhancement.

Currently I am preparing for the A+ certification which is a two-part exam: Core (hardware) & Windows (software). Upon achieving this outcome my next goal(s) would then be to earn my MCSE or learn C++ programming. For A+, I have decided to study from 3 books – A+ Exam Guide by Michael Meyers is one of them – each book is approximately 700+ pages thick. The challenge for me is that these books are highly technical with tons of detail that I am required to learn for my upcoming exam. My question then is:

“What activation/study strategy has proven most effective when activating highly technical & detailed computer books such as when preparing for an IT certification exam, especially when a lot of memorization and full comprehension is required?”

I remember reading a post submitted by Weight39doug that some of the computer programming books that he activated were so technical that he had to read them cover-to-cover.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Follow the basic strategy. Depending on your familiarity on your material you may or may not need to rapid read the material. But go to rapid reading only after you have fully activated the material.

Test yourself before rapid reading. You may find that you have what you need without spending (or wasting) more time with it.

I am studying for my MCSE at the moment and currently using the PR system. I have found the system to be helpful in many ways. Remember like 'normal' studying understanding comes with time and is layered. This applies with PRing. I have found it useful to mindmap all the information that I know on a subject before I begin..this gives you a starting block. Do you now need to know everyhting? Also another technique I have found useful is throw down individual words/ideas on pieces of paper and try and arrange them in groups of ideas and levels. If you feel that you have to know everything in firm memory, you'll have to read through the material multiple times!! Also learn some basic memory techniques. I have and think I have grasped the material better than most. Also I have found useful to PR all my material before I go to bed and write down some tasks (topic related) that I am going to complete tomorrow before doing other reading. Wake up the next day and see what happens. This has helped when I have memorised procedures on a PC. Hope this helps

Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Pete and Drew,

Thanks so much for your helpful advice and input. The activation step is beginning to gel for me. With a bit more repetition, I'm eagerly anticipating that very soon I will be reaching the conscious competence stage and then...

Rick,
Keep going..it sounds as if it is all coming together. With information that is technical. I think you have to activate the material multiple times. esp, when an exams is involved. Just think when the exam does come up you will know the information so well, you'll be able to answer all the questions easily. When in you job people will be impressed by you level of knowledge. My advice is to find as many different ways to manually activate the material as possible, even those that aren't explicitly mentioned in the PR book etc. This has kept my interest in books and material that I keep going over. Let us know what happens!

Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks greatly for the vote of confidence Drew. Pete B. stated in another post that "tweaking" the system is cool, which is essentially what you're saying as well.

I'll definitely look for what works for me and I'll keep ya posted. I'm heading for conscious competence and beyond and then I'll be...dangerous.

Thx!

quote:
Originally posted by Drew:
Rick,
Keep going..it sounds as if it is all coming together. With information that is technical. I think you have to activate the material multiple times. esp, when an exams is involved. Just think when the exam does come up you will know the information so well, you'll be able to answer all the questions easily. When in you job people will be impressed by you level of knowledge. My advice is to find as many different ways to manually activate the material as possible, even those that aren't explicitly mentioned in the PR book etc. This has kept my interest in books and material that I keep going over. Let us know what happens!

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved