Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
balmon Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi guys,

I am wondering about the photoreading step... I am still a beginner, and when I photoread, I concentrate on the blip page, and I find that my attention is often very focused on the middle of the centerfold. Does this mean that I will not be able to see the words to the edge of the page.

In other words, do I have to make an attempt to "expand my peripheral vision", or will focusing on a central spot on the page suffice.

Thanks for any advice

I prefer opening my field of vision and observing the outer edges (white space). This seems to put less stress on my eyes (no headaches) and I see the blip page without effort.

I believe that you want to relax your gaze to encompass both pages at the same time, allowing yourself to take in the edges and corners of the pages, the white spaces, and the text. The text will probably be a bit blurred at first. That's pretty normal, and is a function of where your plane of focus is (which will probably be out at infinity at first). Eventually, you might see both pages rather clearly (which is due to each eye focusing seperately and moving the two focal planes in from infinity to the page).

I have found that the Tangerine Technique is useful for expanding my gaze. When I place my awareness at the back spot on my head, my gaze seems to automatically open up.

When I PhotoRead I quickly get myself into state, then enter the PhotoFocus state. I make sure that I can see a good sized blip page.

During the actual PhotoReading process, I stare directly through the center of the book, but I also make a point of recognizing the four corners of the book with my peripheral vision while I'm PhotoReading.

This not only expands my field of vision, but it helps to control the thoughts in my head. Whenever I sense myself wandering (thinking about the future, wondering what's next on my to-do list), I just focus my peripheral attention on the four corners. Seems to work for me.

I heard before that if you ask "am I doing this right?" during the PhotoReading step, it's too late. Does this mean we should start over, or get into state again?

Also, is upside-down PhotoReading at all less effective than right side up? Since the left hemisphere of my brain is less active when upside-down PRing, should I use that method every time?

Administrator
Administrator

No you don't have to start over. However if you get into the question 'am I doing it right;, you often find that it's hard to switch off. If it's difficult to switch off then you have the problem. In which case I suggest you pause for a moment, take a deep breath and relax. Just tell yourself it's fine however it goes. Remember to say the chant it helps to remind you to stay relaxed, keep the pace and to see the page.

Many of us photoreaders actually read the book both ways right side up and upside down. Some books are just easier to handle upside down others the pages turn better the right way up. Doing it both ways helps to overcome the bothers of have I been doing it right. and the darn I'm sure I missed five pages just now. We know that we'll catch the on the way back.

Since it only take about 2 to 5 minutes to photoread a book if you're really bothered by the 'did i do it right' bug. You can always photread the book again. Even if you didn't do it right for all the pages each time through you will have caught all the pages by the second or 3rd photoread of the book.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited November 03, 2003).]

I see, thanks.

Just a curious question...If waiting longer than 24 hours or a certain time after PRing, will activation be less effective by then?

Oh, and another!

I've never heard or read that we should use the blip page method and x method at the same time. I know there will be probably more corners on the book with diverged eyes, but is it all right if we use both at the same time? Perhaps there is a combined effect? Thanks!

(I know that these are perhaps very trivial questions)

Administrator
Administrator

Activation can be easier after 24 hours. Sometimes it helps when you photoread it a couple of times. There are occasions when the subject is so new or confusing to you that you might photoread it every day for a month before you feel ready to activate it. When the activation pass seems to be going slow well. Photoread the book again and set it aside if you can. That isn't always a luxury we have when learning but if you're trying to learn something new for self satisfaction then give yourself the time.

Yes, you can and ideally would combine the blip page with X technique. If you're using the X technique you may not be aware of the blip page but its still there. It's also handy in because if you lose the blip page you can easily keep going. It's not talked about because if you do one the other falls into place naturally. So if you're seeing the blip page with parallel vision then the edges of white will also be in view you're just putting your awareness on something else. Same if you use the X technique the blip page is probably there too.

Alex

Alex

I was wondering of the effectiveness of multiple photoreadings. I wondered why we are to ideally photoread a dictionary once a day, and a regular book just once within the 5 steps. Would PRing a regular book several times make activation more fluid and easier? I suppose it would...because doing it many times will apparently induce the likelyhood of spontaneous activation, and a familiarity with the text.

Any ideas or responses?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved