Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

I've read several of your posts about your use of the direct learning process with great interest.

In a recent post, I was intrigued that you stated that you have used the process with learning to play guitar. This was of great interest to me because in the past I've tried to learn how to play with dismall results; I attributed my inability to learn to how to play to perhaps having a tin ear. A friend of mine once said I was tone dear and that was all she wrote for me.

I'm extremely curious, what has been your exprience with Direct Learning? That is, how do you gauge/monitor/measure that you have acquired any behavior, improvement in skills and/or abilities that you wanted to acquire? What tips would you offer to a novice? When you recorded your own tape using the script from the Natural Brilliance book did you use any background noise and what equipment did you use?

I'm sorry if I'm asking so many questions. I'll appreciate any information that you are willing to share.

Thx!!!

I didn't really learn guitar from Direct Learning. I already had some expereince with it. I just found that my playing improved after setting a goal and photoreading a bunch of how to play guitar and harmony books.

Perhaps you could set a goal of improving your ear and harmony by photoread some books and do the direct learning process every day. You should notice a difference.

Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh, I see...

One other thing -- When your goal is to acquire a new behavior or skill through Direct Learning, as I understand it you simply photoread a set of books about the desired skill(s) and then listen to the self-made conditioning tape. My question is

"How often do you need to do this? That is, does it suffice to photoread the books and listen to the tape once and then forget about it or do you photoread the set of books and listen to the tape daily for 'x' amount of days until you start noticing the acquisition of the desired skills or behaviors?

I would listen to the tape constantly. You need to trick your inner mind into thinking that what you are imagining is a reality for you. It will then take all that it has learned from the reading and start producing the results.

Sometimes it will take a while. You need to condition in the new behaviour until it becomes a part of your self image. Once you truely believe deep down that you can do something then there is very little that can stop you because you will have a motivated unconscious mind on your side working to produce the results. Many books speak of this process --'Think and Grow Rich' for example.

Many successful people do this process naturally. They say things like I have visualized this moment happening in my life ever since I was a kid. Whether that be winning the championship in some sport or getting an award for best musician (whatever the person has been focused on).

Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Thx!...extremely insightful.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick:
[B]I've read several of your posts about your use of the direct learning process with great interest.
Could somebody explain with more detail what's direct learning, I'm a beginer PR'er and have curiosity about any thing that can help me with this technique. thank you in advance
sixtosorl@yahoo.com

Direct Learning is mentioned in the Photoreading Book as well as the Natural Brilliance Book. Both are written by Paul Scheele. I find Natural Brilliance to be more complete on the subject as well it includes a dialog script that a person can record onto a tape. I like to listen to this tape everyday to keep focused on my goals.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved