Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18618 11/16/00 11:42 PM
allenhm Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a couple of questions to ask. When super reading, you skim down the center of a text looking for words that catches your attention. My question is: Do you sub-vocalize those words????. Also when dipping into a text to read a paragraph or sentence, do you normal read, i.e. sub-vocalize?????

When you stop at words that catch your attention while SuperReading, begin Dipping. Regular-read the passage for the meaning of each sentence. It is okay to subvocalize if this is what you normally do while reading regular. Then, pick up and continue SuperReading and Dipping to the end of your book.

As you continue using PhotoReading, your reading skills become more efficent, and you will need to subvocalize less and less.

Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Subvocalization is a good indication that you are going too slowly. Pick up the speed. Unless you are savoring the passage. I did a lot of subvocalization last week on vacation when I was reading for pure pleasure. I reread some paragraphs because I adored the way the author wrote.

Pure pleasure, however, does not mean I always subvocalize. On the plane back I was zipping through a book almost as fast as most people turn the pages.

quote:
Originally posted by Pete Bissonette:
Pure pleasure, however, does not mean I always subvocalize. On the plane back I was zipping through a book almost as fast as most people turn the pages.

Well, I can turn pages pretty fast! :P
Does this mean you were photoreading it, or speedreading?

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved