Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#18666 11/23/00 01:04 AM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

What is going in Florida shows that the system works. Other than for party die-hards and media-types hunting down stories, there is very little anxiety in the States about who will be President. There is a trust in the system.

Who ever would have thought a Presidential election would come down to a few votes?

It's been known for a long time that the voting process is not perfect. Statistically speaking, however, the imperfection typically does not affect the outcome of elections, unless they are very close.

Here in the state of Minnesota there are several elections won by a handful of votes and recounts are in process. This happens every election year. Never has recounts received such high profile attention.

And will the country ultimately select a President. Absolutely. How, well, that shall remain interesting.

Inauguration day is January 20. Stay tuned!

#18667 11/23/00 01:20 AM

Gregory...
This is what happens when you photoread only Republican propogonda. If you prefer Bush on the issues I have no problems with that so be it, but I do wish that people would stop buying this bs about Gore the great liar.

All the supposed lies that Al Gore has been accused of uttering have been shown to be lies spread by the republicans and the egomaniacal media.

Read the following article that explains in detail how the media and the republicans have exagarrated Gore's statements.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.msnbc.com/news/476106.asp+%22gore+is+a+liar%22&hl=en

THE “GORE IS A LIAR” tale is widely presented to the public as a reminder that personal character remains an issue for many voters. This “lying” is supposed to represent a deep-seated problem, possibly a psychological malfunction, of the vice president’s — as though journalists and TV talking heads had suddenly sprouted psychology degrees on their résumés.
But what the case represents is actually a breakdown in basic standards of journalism — simple factual accuracy — on a massive scale.
Nearly the entire array of supposed “lies” uttered by Gore are gross distortions of what the vice president actually uttered. Almost all of these statements are partisan renderings of otherwise innocent remarks, and calling them “lies” or “fabrications” is at best a gross overstatement:

--------
The article is very long so I won't reprint it here (I don't mind doing it if people want me to). I'd urge everyone to read the article to see how the author picks apart all the lies attributed to Al Gore.
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.msnbc.com/news/476106.asp+%22gore+is+a+liar%22&hl=en

David

#18668 11/23/00 01:26 AM

I am just going to post this part of the article that specifically picks apart two of the Gore "lies" that Greg mentioned.

Gore claims he “invented the Internet.” Actually, Gore never said this. What he said, during a CNN interview with Wolf Blitzer on March 9, 1999, was this: “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” This is a clumsy rendition of a factual event: Gore was a key player in Congress in moving the network that became the Internet from the realm of the military and academia, where it originally was devised, and into the public realm, where it became the mass phenomenon it is today.

Vinton Cerf, the man widely credited as the actual “father of the Internet,” argues that Gore should get a great deal of credit for playing a seminal role in creating the legal foundation for the Internet. And even former House Speaker Newt Gingrich — no ally of the vice president — agrees: “Gore is not the father of the Internet, but in all fairness Gore is the person who, in the Congress, most systematically worked to make sure that we got to an Internet,” he recently told a Washington gathering.

SAYING SORRY ON ‘LOVE STORY’
Gore claims he was the role model for “Love Story.” This tale originated with a 1997 story in the Nashville Tennessean in an interview with the book’s author, Erich Segal. The reporter wrote that Segal indicated that Gore and his wife, Tipper, were the role models for the book’s main characters. Then, in December 1997, in a light, late-night conversation about favorite movies with a pair of reporters from Time magazine and The New York Times, Gore briefly mentioned the story, accurately, as a humorous aside.

Later, after the tale had blown up and was distorted into one of Gore’s “fabrications,” the Times contacted Segal, and he told them the Tennessean was wrong: Gore in fact was one of the models for the Oliver Barrett character — along with the politician’s roommate, actor Tommy Lee Jones — but Tipper had nothing to do with it. Nonetheless, despite the Times’ correction and the insistence of the original Time reporter, Karen Tumulty, that the remark wasn’t a boast of any sort, and was factually correct — “He said, ‘All I know is that’s what he [Segal] told reporters in Tennessee’ ” — the fabricated “fabrication” remains a standard of TV and newspaper pundits.

----
I only wish more people had read this article before the election!

David

#18669 11/23/00 01:31 AM

Opps. Gregory had said Al Gore lied about "Love Canal" not "love story" as I posted in my reply. Well, not to worry because the article also shows how Gore did not lie about "love canal"
----
Gore claims to have brought the Love Canal issue to national attention. This legend began with a gross misquote that appeared simultaneously in The New York Times and The Washington Post; the papers reported that Gore told a group of students he discovered the Love Canal toxic waste dump as an issue, adding: “I was the one that started it all.” In fact, Gore didn’t claim he discovered the Love Canal issue; he said instead the problems at the canal had supplemented his crusade against toxic wastes. He was inspired by an incident in Toone, Tenn., after a teenager there wrote a letter alerting him to problems in the southern town.

“I called for a congressional investigation and a hearing. I looked around the country for other sites like that. I found a little place in upstate New York called Love Canal. Had the first hearing on that issue and Toone, Tennessee — that was the one that you didn’t hear of. But that was the one that started it all,” Gore told the students, according to a video tape of the event.
Clearly, Gore hadn’t said, “I was the one that started it all.” And the “one” that started it all was Toone, not Love Canal. What Gore was describing was factually correct in every respect. He wrote about it in detail in his 1992 book, “Earth in the Balance,” and his role as a prime mover in creating the toxic-waste cleanup Superfund has been amply documented by his biographers, including Zelnick. Both the Times and the Post ran corrections. But that fact has escaped the numerous pundits and partisans who bandy about the phrase “Love Canal” as yet another sound bite implying that Gore is a liar.

#18670 11/23/00 03:07 AM

When looking at a candidate you should take numerous factors into consideration. Some being trust, credibility, and do your views agree with the candidate. I chose Bush. The reasons were simple. In credibility, Gore has baggage. The ice tea incident, the tobacco flip flop, the abortion flip flop, the impeachment flip flop and the selling of the vote for the tort lawyers and the Gulf war. All these go against Gore.
The next issue is trust. Gore's use of polling data to fine tune his stand on issues leads one not to trust him. A leader should lead even when the polls are against him if he knows he is right. Impeachment for the crime of perjury was correct, but the polls said not to do it so the Senate w/o leadership caved in.
The next section is similar views. I support limited government and I don't have a paternalistic view of government. This also goes against supporting Gore.
In foreign policy, the last 8 years of mishandling nuclear secrets, giving the Chinese secrets for votes, and the bombing of the asprin factory are not the views I share. Our current energy problem is a direct result of policy mismanagement, blocking our coal fields so China can gain economically, curtailing our oil refinement, and the ratcheting down of standards based on dubious CO2 numbers.
On the home front, the usurption of the Constitutional checks and balance system is also something I don't support.
The last thing I will say is that sometimes you have to go outside the mainstream media to find the truth. If you want to check out the real news read foreign newspapers and check out differing views, then make up your own mind.
It is like the PR system play with it and test it against your regular way of reading, then decide.

#18671 11/23/00 03:27 PM

Well, time to eat a little crow. It appears that I was mislead and mistaken in citing some often quoted Gore "lies". I stand corrected. Thank you davidprd.

As kender85 has stated, one should trust a candidate and agree with the majority of his ideas before voting for that individual. Based on the last 8 years of watching Gore as VP, and based on his campaign, I neither trust Gore or agree with his "We know how to take care of you better than you do" elitest, paternalistic attitude. Now, after seeing what Gore and some Democrats are trying to do in Florida (stealing the election from G.W.), I trust Gore even less now than before (if that's possible).

Whatever is said about the candidates, my own ideological leanings are conservative. I don't subscribe to party loyalty. I vote for those candidates and measures that are conservative in nature as i believe that the more self sufficient one is, the more freedom that individual has (as well as more responsibility). So that is where I am coming from and I know there are many people out there who disagree with me. That is fine. I agree with kender85 in that one has to make an intelligent decision when voting.

#18672 11/28/00 01:05 AM

About chad:

I think people use it wrong. "Chad" is a singular plural (??) word. Similar to "fish."
I could be wrong though.

Technically, "chad" is the stuff that fell out of war planes to confuse radar.

My family had an argument about this over Thanksgiving. We are made up of 3 conservative republicans, 3 liberal democrats, and me, the token Libertarian!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved