Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19175 01/03/01 05:37 AM
niknus Offline OP
OP Offline

When PRing, the tape recommends turning each page every 2 secs. What if you decide to go slower...?
Is there a benefit to slowing down?
Is it less effective to go slower?

I haven't yet activated anything I have PR'd
yet, so I am still waiting for possible results or revelations, but I was just wondering...

Also, when I PR, I notice my gaze naturally tends to drift further toward the top of the page as I progress. Should I let myself do this, or should I recognize it and move back to the center? Which one disturbs PRing more?

Thanx

#19176 01/03/01 07:22 AM

I think you need to find a rate that is comfortable to you. I found that I was going too slowly and that speeding up improved my results.

Having said that, Paul set times for each of the process steps to keep you moving along. The danger of going too slowly is that you'll begin to focus on the words on the page, or that you'll get bored/frustrated/annoyed, or that you'll spend your time worrying about what you're doing instead of relaxing and playing with it. Pay attention for signals that you've "got it" and then move to the next page.

My gaze used to drift up also. It was most pronounced when I used to burn a hole in the spine of the book in an effort to see the blip page. When I relaxed and opened my gaze to notice the outer edges of the pages, I got the blip page and my gaze remained more stable.

#19177 01/03/01 11:59 PM

Having a smooth page turning technique is important. I was very hesitant to turn pages that quickly, but Dana said to just keep turning them & it'll all fall into place. It's true: It'll all fall into place w/ continued smooth page turning.

I started w/ keeping the blip page w/ the book steady, but as soon as i turned a page, it was gone! Then, after more practice, i was able to keep the blip page in my focus for a few pages. Steady, smooth page turning & DEEP breathing helped me tremendously.

#19178 01/04/01 12:09 AM

I have no problem getting a consistent blip page and maintaining it, but I still don't have any evidence that any of this information is sinking in. I haven't had any luck with the dictionary game either.

How do I know that I'm making progress.

#19179 01/04/01 12:41 AM

Bridget,
You didn't say how long you have been working on PhRing. That's a factor.

Just activating helps some. When i started activating books, it then became apparent that i was grasping a book faster than b/f (before).

Just tackling a book w/ specific info to look for helps also. I was amazed at how fast i could actually find the info when i stated what i was interested in.

There's a considerable amount of *small* or seemingly insignificant info in the course that makes a real difference to enjoying the technique.

Today, i PhR Self Esteem, a book i like a lot, & it came to me that i really had a true knowledge of this book. I've only activated a few things in it, but somehow b/c i PhR it often, i somehow know a lot more than what i've actually activated.

Take a book & just PhR it every day. What you might find is that suddenly you will feel comfortable w/ the book. It won't feel strange to you. That's kind of amazing in itself. Then if you ask yourself what you would like to know about that book, you should be able to find it Very quickly.

Just look to build small steps of power that you can repeat w/ other books. Keep working w/ the dictionary b/c it really is exciting to find words in the exact spot. Do it in layers as Paul suggests. Take a break. Then when you go back tell yourself: All i'm going to do is look for 3 words & all i really need to do is find 1 of the 3 to be correctly located. When that works a few times, you will be more confident.

#19180 01/04/01 01:55 AM

Margaret,

Thanks for the useful tips. I've been photoreading for about two months. If anything, it's helped me feel calmer about all the reading I need to do.

One weird thing happened to me after I had photoread the photoreading book and was activating it. I was on page 86 and they were suggesting ways to set the mood for reading. They hadn't mentioned anything about using music, so I looked up that word in the index. Music was mentioned on page 87, like I knew it was coming up.

That gave me a little bit of faith, but since then, I think I expect too much.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved