Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I've just read the message "Desperate Help!!!!" posted by Superfly and I am interested in something mgrego2 has written. He/she has written the following question in her/his reply: "What are "already there" reports and how do I use them?" mgrego2, grateful if you can supply basic information on what you have discovered on "already there" reports. Thanks, G-Scotland

G,

I'm a he. The probing questions were for an odd little book called "Financial Freedom in 8 Minutes/Day" by Ron & Mary Hulnick.

Already There Reports are sort of a future visualization aid in which you write out the details of how your life is now that you have "arrived" at your goal. My mindmap has the following items in regard to the reports:

1. Be immediate (imagine it as if it is now)
2. Energize yourself (vivid descriptions, enthusiasm, descriptive language)
3. Put yourself in the picture
4. Express gratitude

As mentioned in a previous topic, there are now psychologists that suggest visualizing achievement of the goal is much less effective than visualizing the process of getting to the goal.

In any case, if you'd like a copy of the mind map, I'll send it to you...

OP Offline

mgrego2,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, it would be helpful to receive a copy of your mind map, although can you send it by email?

Perhaps pyschologists are suggesting that visualising the process of getting to the goal is more effective than visualising achievement of the goal, because if what we visualise affects what type of activity we carry out: 1) a person who visualises that they have already achieved the goal, may not create the desire to work towards it 2) and at the back of the mind of the person doing the visualising may be the unrealisitic thought that "I have already reached this goal it is no longer necessary to work towards it."

My interest in finding out more about "already there" reports is linked to something I read recently. I can't remember the exact wording or who was the author - but I'm 90% sure it was in the Photoreading Book by Paul Scheele. In the part of the text that I remember it mentions a paradox about learning - that to learn/recognise something new, we must know it already - I'd definitely like to explore that paradox further. If I can locate the text I'll post it to this discussion board for further discussion.

Cheers,

G-Scotland

G-Scotland,

The psychologists are proposing exactly what you're suggesting. By giving yourself a vivid image of having achieved it, you're suggesting to your brain that it can chill out on this goal. They still saw an improvement in attainment in people who visualized the goal, but the success rate of people who visualized the process to getting there was significantly better.

I'll e-mail you the file as a bitmap, unless you have eMindmaps.

It is Paul Scheele that makes the statement about being able to learn only things we already know. I can hear him saying it in my mind, so I'm thinking it's on the tape. I suppose it might also be in the book.

[This message has been edited by mgrego2 (edited January 19, 2001).]

Here's a thought:

There seems to be a divergent perspective out there on just about everything--if you can find it.

PhotoReading for Reading
Static Contraction for Lifting
Slow Burn for Aerobics
Alkalization for Diet
Mind Maps for Notes
Mind Machines for Meditation

..as some examples. These are the kinds of things that when one first hears about them, the initial reaction is always, 'yeah right, tell me another.'

As graduation nears, I've had the thought that there MUST be some analagously divergent book on Finance or Getting Rich. One that completely goes against the grain of common sense, but nevertheless provides miraculous results if practiced sincerely.

Does anyone know any Fantastic (fantastic=crazy+miraculous+real) books on getting rich that are tailored toward the Creative Minority?

mgrego2's 'Financial Freedom in 8 Minutes/Day' is not to be passed up, for sure! Are there others though?

cheers.
(mgrego, could you send me that mindmap too btw?)

There are at least two formulations of the learning paradox in the dialogue called Meno, by the philosopher Plato. In that dialogue the character Meno suggests that it is futile to try to learn anything. If you don't know what the thing is you can't learn it, becuase you don't know what it is you are looking for, and wouldn't recognize it if you found it. And if you do know what the thing is you can't learn it, because you already know it, and learning is for things that are unknown.

The paradox has a number of formulations. The Meno is very short. I suggest you read it for yourself.

As a PR newbie, I find the learning paradox most relevant to the central point as stated by Paul: the importance of stating a purpose. As Paul mentions in the tapes, it is difficult to know your purpose for reading something, when you don't know anything about that thing which you are reading. If I don't know what a book is about, how can I know what I want to get from that book?

Socrates' apparent solution is rather unsatisfactory. He assumes we learned in an earlier reincarnation. But why wouldn't the learning paradox prevent us from learning in previous lives if it prevents us from learning in this life?

The deeper socratic solution is that we have innate knowledge. An example would be the Chomskyan notion that we are all equipped to learn natural languages with little effort, since those languages are congruent with our brain's structure. Chomsky points out that children exposed to very limited environments still learn the same language as children in very enriched environments. Language learning seems to be something we are programmed to do. It's innate.

The PR solution to the learning paradox is based on a distinction between knowing a thing by being acquainted with it and knowing a thing by knowing some of its properties. There are many people who know about the jewish bible, but have never read it. They know about Noah and the flood, but have never read the bible's account.

You can know about a book and establish a purpose before you have read the book and have become acquainted with it. As Paul points out, as you acquaint yourself with a book (article, etc.) you might adjust your purpose.

Hi Brian,

One book is one of the best about money, a lot of writers had there creativity out of that book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0449214923/o/qid=979938701/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-4335609-7651749

In the book the writer describes how to get the state of wealth.

I think you already know much about money, still, it's a book to have...

One thing about money:
money is energy. You are endless energy, and you can get a lot of energy (and gave away). So, rich (with money), is rich in energy.

Why have some people problems with money…..?

Another book I read is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964593408/qid=979938982/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/107-4335609-7651749

The Powermind system. I can recommend this book very much. There is also a section about money, and wealth (goal setting).

There are a lot more books about the subject. I look at Amazon, and the read the reviews to get a picture of the book. I can't buy the books that Amazon sells, because I don't live in the US

I hope I answered your question.

Jascha

Jascha,
Amazon.com ships abroad, so you should have no problem ordering books off them. Of course the shipping rates are... well, higher than for people in the US. But they do have alot of books, many of them are great... so it's worth it, I think.
I live in Europe too, have received my stuff fairly quickly, with no hassles.

HH

Brian, what are slow burns? I thought you were doing rebounding.

Brian, what are slow burns? I thought you were doing rebounding.

just throwing out random examples!

Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman -- don't know much about it other than T. Robbins is a grand proponent. Though, I do know that Stu ran 600 miles in 5 days without a hitch using his method.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved