Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19468 01/23/01 02:48 AM
allenhm Offline OP
OP Offline

I was wondering about subvocalization. My question to all you photoreading wizards out there is: Do you subvocalize words during the activation process? i.e. Super reading, Dipping, previewing, or when reading the first and last paragraphs of an article. It has been brought to my attention while searching the internet on the topic of speed reading, that the mind is capable of thinking much faster than subvocalization, so when you subvocalize, you're literally holding back your mind. Then they recommend this exercise: "As you read, count to yourself, silently, from one to ten". It will be impossible to do this at the same time as subvocalizing, so this is an excellent way of breaking the habit of subvocalization. As you do this exercise, you'll become aware that you're no longer processing the words in the tongue/throat region but in area called "thought stream" that you experience in the top of your head.
Thought stream moves much faster than subvocalization. And that's why people who subvocalize often have comprehension problems.

#19469 01/25/01 03:27 AM
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

When I find myself subvoalizing, I know I'm going too slowly so I speed it up until it goes away.

#19470 01/25/01 03:42 AM

Do you subvocalize words during the activation process?

I just received "Double Your Reading Speed in 10 Minutes" by Scheele. I thought it would be superfluous to the PR course. It was. But it emphasized ONE major point in particular that I had glossed over--focusing on only the top half of words. I'm not sure how this works for killing subvocalization, but in the small matter of 10 minutes, the beast was slain. The title's claim is true. Reading at these ridiculous speeds, I can now Read AND Mark at the same time to my satisfaction--something I've been struggling with for YEARS!

an area called "thought stream" that you experience in the top of your head.
Thought stream moves much faster than subvocalization.

Interesting. Are you familiar with the chakra system? I've been reading about it recently. http://www.sacredcenters.com/chakras.html has a very brief overview. The third eye chakra is intution, psychic powers, and seeing the big picture--perhaps it is just as important as the crown chakra or 'thought stream' for photoreading? The crown chakra is the grand prize. It is associated with omniscience and total sensory awareness. Paul took Yoga classes during his school days. I wonder if his study of energy has shown up in the photoreading system in the form of the tangarine technique?

#19471 01/25/01 04:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Brian649:
But it emphasized ONE major point in particular that I had glossed over--focusing on only the top half of words. I'm not sure how this works for killing subvocalization, but in the small matter of 10 minutes, the beast was slain.

Just from looking at the top of the words only? Interesting.... is this product worth it though? -Any terribly new or different?

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved