Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19472 01/23/01 03:30 PM
OP Offline

I'm currently in something of a paradox.

I feel the need to mark important passages or sentences. The juicy ones. Why? For scholastic texts, I usually return at least once to them or review them before I need to discuss them. For other texts, ...it justs feels right; if I don't mark it, then it may be lost forever.

The negative side, of course, is that it takes up a lot of time AND forces my mind to read linearly and subvocally.

I've tried not reading with the pen in my hand, but on the table. That has helped.

I've tried just making a slight vertical mark alongside the sentence in the margin instead of underlining. That has helped too.

But it still slows me down by 100 to 500%. I know that sounds like a lot, but when I don't feel the need to mark, I FLY Literally, my hand sprouts wings. I average 60 sec/page with underlining. With no pen, I'm usually 30 to 5 seconds per page.

Does anyone else have this trouble? (or a solution?)

#19473 01/24/01 06:44 AM

But if you "fly", you can't review? If yes, what's the problem? Because you can read it twice or more. And if no, then it's a technique you have to do it .

By the way, no information will be lost if you photoread.........

I use the slight vertical mark a lot, because I don't have to read very slow, it goes really quick. It's like superreading/skittering. The first and last sentences are (most of the time) very important. And I skip the examples.

Later, if I think it will help me in the future, I do some mindmapping so I can review in a short period of time. Mindmapping is a great thing to do, I use it all the time.

I use the system of PR for everything. I like it very much. For activating study material I use also RapidReading and dreaming.

I hope this helps you,

Jascha

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved