Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19494 01/25/01 09:53 PM
mac010 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I'm new to Photoreading- Photoread the PR book over the New Year, read it in detail and decided to use the PR system for my thesis.First, I PR about 60-70 studies (articles), let things incubate for a week and then started to activate. I decided to use Syntopic reading, but now I am stuck, overwhelmed or maybe just plain confused. To elaborate, I started to mindmap my introduction to my thesis, just asked the authors "what they had to say about the subject in general","why they were saying it" etc. As I "soared" over what they had to say, things did jell. I can summarize in my own terms what I want to write about the introduction. The problem is that this subject has been studied over the past 40 years, with different methods being applied, different variables being analysed, etc.
1. I need help in how to "discover themes" and "define the issues".I am confused as to how to use this to answer my thesis question from all the other perspectives in the different studies. The PR book states "Activation is the most playful step" and I agree, but I get exhausted after going through just 10 articles.
2. I am also having trouble stating purposes that are specific enough.
3. Yesterday, I received 5 of the Paraliminal tapes- Pers. Genius, New Behav. Gen., Memory S.,10- min.S, and Dream Play.I must confess that I have had problems with the negative traits of perfectionism and therefore procrastination for many years now. I wonder which of these I should use immediately for my current problems?
4. Also, I would like to take the PR seminar in the near future. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I wonder if any of you have taken a seminar in Western Canada? Any advice?
I would really appreciate any help with these problems. Thanks.
Mallika.

#19495 01/26/01 12:39 AM

Hi Mac010,

[b]1.I get exhausted after going through just 10 articles.[b]
Take regular breaks, break the task down in smaller parts.
[b]2. I am also having trouble stating purposes that are specific enough.[b]
What about a purpose of finding 'the purpose' or explore your thesis question, make a mind map with your thesis at the centre to start and get some ideas from that to discover a purpose?

I know that you are on the right track with syntopic reading (I did it in a seminar yesterday), I think you haven't defined clearly enough you purpose or direction I would go and start there. My feeling is once you get that right the rest should fall into place.

The steps we used in the seiminar.

1) state the purpose in the centre of the MM.

2) Radiating from the centre (approx 30cm) a new bubble( circle) with the name of the book/article, author, date of pub.

3) The line that joins the two circles, write down the words, phrases that seem to answer your question from each book going from one book to the next randomly opening pages and getting information out.

4) Lines radiating from your book/article bubble write in your own words what you wrote down from your list between the circles.

5) Once you have finished that do the same again from 3) but this time looking for themes from each book but writing this information adjacent to the relevant bubble.

6) Draw lines for things that are common or different between themes.

Hope this helps.

All the best.

Will ho

#19496 01/26/01 11:42 PM
mac010 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Will,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try this right now. Will be back if I run into any more problems.
By the way do you have any idea where I can find more about this 5- day plan. I seem to have looked everywhere, even the archives, but no success.Maybe someone out there can remember which month it was posted or something. Thanks once again.
Mallika.

[This message has been edited by mac010 (edited January 26, 2001).]

#19497 01/27/01 03:35 AM

It's in the 3rd ed. page 77 I believe.

Short and sweet, exactly what we need.

#19498 01/27/01 10:10 AM

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved