Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jaco Offline OP
OP Offline

I've just purchased the 3rd Edition of the
PR book in a Central London bookshop
(surprised to find it there !!)
The only difference fm the 2nd Ed. I can see is a couple of new maps and "skittering" which is a concept I'm having a little difficulty with. Skittering is described in the book as
"a wild, dancing about movement....of the eyes" is this for real? I've tried this
and it doesn't seem to work. Am I missing
something ??

Grateful for comments from those who have had success with this ...........

I have found the skittering approach useful for rapidly developing conscious awareness of the material that I have PhotoRead. Like the other parts of the PhotoReading system, it is important to maintain your sense of purpose and focus - why are you reading what you are reading? What is germane to your purpose? What material can support you in achieving your goal? Skittering allows you to activate the text by rapidly flitting over the words in the text, not being slowed to the speed of regular reading, allowing the words to form the gestalt of the paragraph's meaning in your mind. Remember, PhotoReading does not take place on the page, but in your mind - where the connections are made with the material that you have PhotoRead and the knowledge base that you already have available to you.

For me, skittering is letting my eyes go where they want to in a rapid fashion. Kind of like REM except I'm reading and not sleeping.

Turns out I have been doing this already, especially with newpapers. My eyes flit about the pages how ever they want to. Usually in a "Z" shape fashion.

What kills me is that a word will jump out at me, but my eyes will have already moved on. So then I get this word stuck in my head that interests me and I have no idea where on the page it came from. ::sigh::

Since I am new to PR, I can't really comment on using skittering to activate, just skittering to find what interests me in a hurry.

When i study, i skitter a lot more than superreading/dipping, since the idea of letting pages and paragraphs go un scanned is just unthought of for me The key to skittering is to go at a fast pace. I make multiple passes through eveything i read using skittering; building up comprehension through layering. I don't even bother with rapid reading anymore just a waste of my time since i can get enough with skittering.

For me, after i've successfully done the photoreading phase, i notice that as I skitter though the text at a fast pace, meaning/ideas formulate in my mind. If i skip the photoreading phase i wouldn't be able to get the meaning at all. So thats a sign new photoreading may want to look for to measure your success.

jaco Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your comments, people !!

Guess I'll have to keep on working at it (or playing with it........NOPS!!) Let have more comments - anyone else with similar experiences ??

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved