Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20073 03/08/01 01:28 AM
JeffC Offline OP
OP Offline

I've been trying to PhotoRead fiction, and I'm sort of lost. Can some of you help me by talking about your techniques for PhotoReading fiction? I have trouble developing a purpose, first of all, the best I can come up with is "to have a general understanding of the plot of this story" I'm not sure if that's focused enough.
Furthermore, I've seen in older posts that most people then just rapid read the whole thing after that? So essentially you're getting everything from the book conciously, but you can do it faster because your sub-conscious has an idea of what's going on in the plot?

Thanks,

Jeff

#20074 03/08/01 01:53 AM

The posts under Pete's Contest and under Feelings were very helpful. The typical process for PRing fiction is more relaxed than PR for nonfiction. I didn't preview. I just set a purpose of enjoying the book, then PR'd it. What astounded me was the information that "bubbled up" while I was PRing the book. I got images, feelings, and thoughts that were directly related to passages in the book without having any idea how I got them. Having PR'd, I then Rapid Read the book. For me, Super Reading and Dipping don't apply to fiction because I'm not trying to pull out specific detail. However, the Rapid Reading does seem to be much faster than my normal reading speed. It's like I'm following a path that someone else has made, rather than trying to forge my own path.

#20075 03/08/01 03:22 AM

Jeff,
I have done a few fiction books & i'm getting faster & faster w/ picking up the plot, characters, etc.

Follow mgrego2's advice.

I PhR it right side up & then turn the book upside down. It's strange but you just have to stop when something tells you to. If you catch it, then stop or back up a page or two.

MAIN thing is to PhR it for different goals. Do it for the plot, main characters...

It works. No question about it. It does. But, i took the home study course & i practiced a lot. But, even the first time i did Pete's contest.......it worked. Stopped a few times & had it all. Took only minutes to do. Took days to psych myself up to actually try it.

#20076 03/08/01 03:52 AM

It's nice to see I wasn't alone. I took quite some time to psych myself up to try the novel. I guess I was really afraid that I would get nothing. I never believed I would get as much as I did. Just imagine what I might have gotten if I had believed...

#20077 03/08/01 08:12 AM

Well, when I use PR for fiction, it is mainly for English fiction. I found that I get the story better, even if there's a lot of vocabulary missing, and, with books of difficult style, I'm more concentrated and get into the feeling of the book much faster.

For example: I tried "The Lord of the Rings" and didn't get a kick out of it. Than I PRed it and set out to read further, and voilá, I really could get absorbed into the story.

What goal did I use? Something along the lines that I want to be able to really enjoy the book, regardless of the language and style.

Jens

#20078 03/08/01 09:13 PM

Amazing. I'm still nervous when i do it, but it has never failed me yet. My last success was approx. 3 minutes. It wasn't a large book. Someone handed me this book as a gift & as i wondered what the book's main thrust was, i opened directly to the key comment & actually, the first main comment. Can you imagine my surprise when it turned out to be very negative. Here i was expecting this to be an exciting gift that i would enjoy & w/n 60 seconds, i realized it was a totally negative report. But, the negative stuff did not start till a third of the way in.

Gotta.........trust myself & this technique.

I'm also kind of relieved to hear you also had to psych yourself up.

quote:
Originally posted by mgrego2:
It's nice to see I wasn't alone. I took quite some time to psych myself up to try the novel. I guess I was really afraid that I would get nothing. I never believed I would get as much as I did. Just imagine what I might have gotten if I had believed...

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved