Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#20283 03/22/01 03:07 PM

Some comments on science:

Well, of course science doesn't always throw away anything it had learned/discovered before if a new theory arises. And very often the new is based on the old.

BUT this is not like building a house or a complex software, always adding a new layer which. It is more like exploring a complex landscape: the facts (trees, statues, rivers) are always the same, only the perspecive changes.
A new theory has (also) to explain old facts. Sometimes, there are more than one theory to explain the observed facts (think of Darwin and Lamarck, for example). In this case, new facts have to be sought. In my example, the way genetics work have been a fact to support Darwins theory.

And, ground level science: A theory can never be proven, it can only be falsified.
If a theory can't be falsified for some time, people/scientists get more confidence in this theory. But one, only one fact/experiment that can be explained by the corresponding theory, and the theory is falsified. It then has to be modified (think of the very complex arrangement of spheres to adjust the Aristotelan view of the cosmos to the observations of the movements of stars and planets) or replaced (Kepler/Galilei).
At least, this is how it is supposed to work. But people being people (and scientist even more so), change isn't always easyly greeted or accepted.

Jens

#20284 03/22/01 04:07 PM
GeorgeA Offline OP
OP Offline

Jens:

Let me start a new topic, "Change in Science," and carry over your remarks before I respond. Let's go there.

--George

#20285 03/23/01 02:00 AM

You all have interesting comments which has prompted me to state my view.

I have been photoreading for just a few months, and am still in the beginning phase. Already, I have seen some progress and am a lot more relaxed about all the reading that I must do to keep up in my field.

It may work, it may not. It might work differently for some people. The fact that I'm more relaxed and am actively reading material that I used to put off speaks for itself!

And also, I am fascinated by the mind and it's capabilities. I've learned a lot reading these discussion groups!! I have not taken the course or used the tapes, btw. I've only read the book and participated in some photoreading study groups at the college where I teach.

Whether you are for it or against it, you must have some natural curiosity or you wouldn't be here.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved