Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20286 03/19/01 09:22 PM
mfcplus Offline OP
OP Offline

Does this photoreading thing really works?
I've tried the course before and I didn't seem to get any improvement in the reading faster comprehend better department. All I seemed to have done was flipping pages w/ eyes out of focus and couldn't activate much information from the book I've photoread.

Can the photoreading pros help me out here and point out the most important steps of photoreading process.

thanks

#20287 03/20/01 12:27 AM

Hi, mfcplus!

While far from a "pro" (if you read my comments on other threads), your experience is much different from mine. I, too, have questioned the value of the PR step, but the overall effects of the PR course are very worthwhile, in my opinion. If you "couldn't activate" much of the material, slow down and try going through the steps again.

My experience has been that the PR course does provide a good approach for reading less passively--to take more personal responsibility for what you choose to consume by reading. Super reading and dipping is obviously something that takes practice, and--given the layered-learning approach of the course--something you may need to do several times to fully activate a text, depending on your needs with a particular book.

Do you have the tapes or just Scheele's book? What are your expectations for a given book? Are you reading something light or studying for a test? Are you reading fiction or nonfiction? Paul recommends beginning with a nonfiction book because of the subheadings and bold text in that style.

Pick up something light (a biography, history, or how-to book) that interests you, but that isn't crucial to you right now. Begin by preparing (don't forget that step! ), previewing, and PR-ing. Then superread and dip (or skitter) through the whole text. Write down some key points you've gleaned and also write out several questions you still have unanswered. Then, go through the text again, superreading and dipping.

The game is to see if you can find the answers to all your written questions. You'll at least get some of them, I'm sure. Add the new answers to the list of facts you've started, then--if you're up for it--repeat the process once more.

By the time you're done, you'll have a nice list of facts you've discovered--stuff you probably didn't know before--and you've only spent at most maybe 90 minutes or so working with the book. At that point you can decide whether to put the book into rotation on a 5-day plan (per Scheele's instructions) or to set it aside.

Either way, it's a net gain.

#20288 03/20/01 02:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mfcplus:
Does this photoreading thing really works?
I've tried the course before and I didn't seem to get any improvement in the reading faster comprehend better department. All I seemed to have done was flipping pages w/ eyes out of focus and couldn't activate much information from the book I've photoread.

Can the photoreading pros help me out here and point out the most important steps of photoreading process.

thanks

You, sir, have been had, much like the jackass by the carrot waved in front of his head.

Think about it, why...

Sincerely,

Martin

#20289 03/23/01 10:30 PM

balkanboy,
I must say, that while my views on PhotoReading are neutral, my views on your attitude are not.
To put it bluntly, you are a jerk who seems to get some perverse satisfaction out of making your judgment before aquiring any first hand experience then hanging around on boards where you are not wanted, giving advice that no one listens to, and pretty much making an ass of yourself.
I doubt I am the first person to say this to you, online or in real life, but get a life.

#20290 03/24/01 04:10 AM

Prelude is right, balkanboy, and you're starting to get on my nerves too. Seriously, what do you care? Why you feel the need to be on this crusade I don't know, and I don't care to. The people on this board who complain the most haven't spent the money...those who HAVE spent the money aren't complaining.

Jeff

#20291 03/24/01 05:38 AM

balkanboy you should photoread or regular read (whatever it is that you do) the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Just a suggestion.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved