Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21104 05/11/01 03:03 PM
JeffC Offline OP
OP Offline

As with most of the people on this DB, I've tried PhotoReading on and off and never got any good with it. I'm going to do the course over, and then do my best to really start applying it so that I can be proficient when I go back to school in the fall.
I've read most of the posts for the past few months, but it's still not clear, what would be the best way to start? Should I do the shotgun method of getting sponaneous activation by photoreading 3-10 books a day and then activating one or two of them?
Should I do the five day plan several times to foster confidence in the system?
Also, I have a question about purpose. I, like all new PhotoReaders it seems, have a problem developing a clear purpose. Since I never liked History much in high school, I really managed to get by without learning much about it, so I tried to photoread some books on history in a direct learning sort of manner, and I had trouble coming up with a purpose. It was a book called, "Don't Know History?" and another called, "All the Lies Your Teachers Taught You" and I couldn't figure out what my purpose could be. They are books on history...and my purpose was to learn history...? The former is an overview of History for those who never learned it (how appropriate) but that still seems vague, "To get an overview of history" The latter is a book on all of the misconceptions that we are taught by our history teachers, what's my purpose there?
This is the part of the system with which I really struggle, except in certain cases where the purpose jumps out and hits me in the head. I find it particularly challenging in this phase because I'm trying to PhotoRead a lot. That day, I went to the library and got 10 books, and PhotoRead them one by one. Somebody reading 10 books a day can't possibly have a genuine and specific interest in every single one.
Am I stressing about this too much?

Thanks,
Jeff

#21105 05/11/01 04:06 PM

Jeffc,

When it comes to establishing purpose, it does not have to encompass the entire book. Rather, define a purpose for each chapter.

In other words, gear your purpose towards the parts and not the whole.

There are many great threads on the discussion of 'purpose' ...

Purpose is your destination.

Purpose is your desire.

Purpose is your goal.

Purpose is your outcome.

Purpose is your reason.

Purpose is many things, the nice thing is it is totally unique as it is derived by none other than yourself.

#21106 05/11/01 04:20 PM

Jeff,

I was going to suggest something similar to Michael's idea. Purpose by chapter. Purpose by time period. Whatever way makes sense for you to break things down a bit. Establish a purpose within those confines. It can be overwhelming to try to establish a single purpose.

Actually, that's what is nice about the 5-Day Plan. Since you quickly reach your purpose, you can have a new purpose each day and get more out of the book. Some days you may just refine your purpose. Other days you may establish an entirely new one. Remember that you're doing this in layers. It also makes for nicer mind maps to have more definitive purposes.

I would consider combining the 3-10 books/day and the 5-Day Plan. One process gets you comfortable/competent with the PR step. The other gets you comfortable/competent with other pieces of the system.

#21107 05/12/01 07:09 AM
JeffC Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for your help guys, I think what I'm going to do is combine them. I really think that the 5-day plan with get me comfortable with the system on the whole, and then I can start to do the 3-10 books/day thing more effectively. I think that I'll have a better idea of purpose after I go through the 5-day plan witha few books. Hmm...maybe I'll do 3 or 4 books simultaneously with the 5-day plan.
I think there is no real secret other than continually playing with it. I'll report back after a few more trips to the library.

Thanks,
Jeff

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved