Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#21269 06/03/01 10:16 PM

Well I have been looking for scientific results about telekinesis for a while now and I find nothing so far.

I used to believe in that type of supernatural stuff around 10 years ago (when I was 11). My circle of friends and I used to go and try to go out do that type of occult stuff and anything else weird. We would scare ourselves silly with a ouija board and other junk, mostly for the thrill of it all. I sure much of it the recent growth in belief in telekinesis the past 30 or so years was mainly due to the Star Wars Trilogy and the "force". Supernatural powers is a tempting idea and I'm sure most people believe in it some time in their lives.

I could not justify believing in it now though without sufficient evidence otherwise.

BTW, spoonbendings you have mentioned you knew or were acquainted in some people being able to do is easy. Some like the famous Uri Gellar use sleight of hand to fool and distract audiences while he physically bends its and some use "trick" spoons that bend themselves with a push of a button or something similar.

If you can actually move objects with your mind, I suggest going out and performing it somewhere. Since I heard it was never performed w/o using tricks or sleight of hand it would be novel. Who knows, you might the next houdini, it would certainly earn you millions!

#21270 06/03/01 10:57 PM

A young boy approaches a farm house where he finds an old farmer on the porch smoking a pipe. The boy says to the man "Excuse me sir, I was wondering if you could allow me to fish in the small pond out by your barn?". The farmer replies chuckling "I'm sorry son, that's a horse trough, we dug it out to feed the horses, you're not going to catch any fish out there!". "Well, may I try?" replies the boy. "Do what you like, (laughing) good luck!!!". About an hour later, the farmer sees the boy approaching the porch with two stringers of catfish. He hands one to the farmer, and thanks him. "Thank you!" says the farmer, stunned. The next day the boy comes back to find the farmer on the porch again. The farmer says "What can I do for ya'?" "Well, while I was fishing out by the barn yesterday, I noticed some honeysuckle." replied the boy. "And.......?" says the farmer inquisitively. "Well, would you mind if I got some honey?" asks the boy. The farmer laughs hysterically and says "You can't get honey from honeysuckle!!" "Can I try?" asks the boy. "Sure, bring me some too!" says the farmer sarcastically. About an hour later, the boy comes back with two buckets of honey, hands one to the farmer, and leaves. The farmer is absolutely shocked. The next day, the boy returns, and once again the farmer asks "What can I do for you young man?" "Well" says the boy "While I was out getting honeysuckle yesterday, I noticed some pussywillow out ba-" the farmer cuts him off "Hold it right there boy, let me get my hat."

#21271 06/04/01 12:15 AM

The mind can do a lot more than move matter. It can create an entire universe. Look at the one yours has created!

I'm not often skeptical about something being possible, I'm more often skeptical about the people reporting such occurences.
Scientific evidence is a myth, as is science.

Where is this cosmos?

#21272 06/04/01 01:30 AM

Pratiba,

You post make no sense to me

If science is a myth you better stop using your computer, all modern technology, hospitals, etc because all these are invented, improved upon, and rely based on science. I know you wouldn't want to be taken in.

#21273 06/04/01 06:18 AM

"Science" didn't discover electronics. The human mind did. Don't be overly simplistic.

Skepticism is often just a psychological defense mechanism used to rationalize a person's self-created indifference.

#21274 06/04/01 02:25 PM

A famous scientist (don't know his name but this quote is famous) said "I stand on the shoulders of giants". Inventions aren't possible w/o previous science. Whoever thinks up of ideas (in engineering, science, math) is relying much already on others ideas. The new ideas then have to be proved, and once that happens becomes again part of science.

Brains think up of ideas, and wishful thinking is the engine that drives science but cannot be science itself.

#21275 06/04/01 02:26 PM

Pratibha, you are the one being overly simplistic.

#21276 06/04/01 09:43 PM

did you hear the one about the dog who walked into the saloon and said "I'm looking for the guy who shot my paw."

#21277 06/04/01 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chaosadelt:
Well I have been looking for scientific results about telekinesis for a while now and I find nothing so far.

I used to believe in that type of supernatural stuff around 10 years ago (when I was 11). My circle of friends and I used to go and try to go out do that type of occult stuff and anything else weird. We would scare ourselves silly with a ouija board and other junk, mostly for the thrill of it all. I sure much of it the recent growth in belief in telekinesis the past 30 or so years was mainly due to the Star Wars Trilogy and the "force". Supernatural powers is a tempting idea and I'm sure most people believe in it some time in their lives.

I could not justify believing in it now though without sufficient evidence otherwise.

BTW, spoonbendings you have mentioned you knew or were acquainted in some people being able to do is easy. Some like the famous Uri Gellar use sleight of hand to fool and distract audiences while he physically bends its and some use "trick" spoons that bend themselves with a push of a button or something similar.

If you can actually move objects with your mind, I suggest going out and performing it somewhere. Since I heard it was never performed w/o using tricks or sleight of hand it would be novel. Who knows, you might the next houdini, it would certainly earn you millions!

I was not bending the spoon, i was moving it, and btw i have gone out to perform it i have lots of witnises but i don't want to go into scientific studies besides, i can only do so much with what i can do already.

#21278 06/05/01 12:16 AM

Your somewhat irrelevant quote is loosly based on something Issac Newton wrote. (This quote is also usually taken out of context as Newton was making fun of the short scientist Robert Hooke).

I don't take issue with the concept of progress. What I take issue with is the scientific disregard for subjective realms of experience and knowledge and the cocky attitude that everything has to be "proven".

Science is the methodical quantification, measurement and relating of consensual observables. Its a very particular world perspective based on necessarily incomplete logical structures for people afraid that there may be more to reality than meets the eyes.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved