Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21967 07/06/01 12:46 AM
allenhm Offline OP
OP Offline

To all of you:

My question for the day is: How many of you find that while chanting and turning the pages, your body becomes "TENSE" and you find it hard to stay relaxed????? What do find that works in place of chanting as far as staying relaxed and page turning is concerned?????.

Allenhm,

I find at 'times' that during my PR session my shoulder area will Tense at times.

The mind is a wonderful tool and a crutch at times. You see, whatever it is you become consciously aware of ... you target it.

So whenever PR'ing and you notice a tensing of the body, guess what, you become consciously aware to the point you concentrate on the tense state as opposed to conentrating on the PR session in a fully relaxed way. Let the feeling go and try to get back into the task of PR'ing.

Their is a strong relation between the body and mind when it comes to learning. To prove it ... next time before PR'ing, try jogging for 15-20 minutes (or any exercise of your choice,however jogging gets arms,legs and torso all involed), shower up, drink plenty of water and then start your PR session ... I think you'll be amazed!

There is another way to relax but until I can learn more about it ... I'll post it then.

The Natural Brilliance course helped me realize how tense I am all the time. I am getting into the habit of periodically doing a quick "body check" while PRing or doing anything else. If I notice something is tense, I pause for a second to release that area. It's quick and effective and is only briefly distracting. In fact, with practice, just the act of noticing the tension is enough to initiate the relax step.

To relax, I "let go" of that area. I don't get uptight about it, I just feel myself letting go and feel the tension ease. Also, circular breathing (what Win Wenger calls Velvety Smooth Breathing) is very helpful for easing tension and maintaining focus. Sometimes I'll just focus on my breathing instead of chanting. If you don't know what circular breathing is, it's the process of breathing such that there is no "hitch" between inhaling and exhaling (or vice versa). You try to make it one smooth process where one leads into the other. I imagine a marker on my lungs and watch the shape it draws while I'm breathing. I try to get it as close to a circle as I can. If this isn't clear enough, I can try to post the directions later.

I've discovered that when I smile as I PR, I remain more relaxed and feel happier about what I'm doing. Otherwise my face has a tendency to get all crunched up and tight which then gradually moves down my face and into my shoulders, etc etc.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved