Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22065 07/17/01 05:20 AM
BlkWolf Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello again,
I am a father of 3 girls. My oldest has no problem reading but my other two have had difficulties reading up to
this point. My youngest is still in the learning process so that's ok.

I was wondering what the recommendations were teaching my children PR. One of the things Paul says in the
tapes is that One of our stumbling blocks to PR is the fact we already know how to read. If that is the case, what
style/focus should I encourage my young learners while they develop their reading skills?

Thanks and talk with you soon

BlkWolf

#22066 08/01/01 01:01 PM
Administrator
Administrator

There are a lot of theories running around regarding early acquisition of reading skills. A psycholinguist that I ascribe much of my philosophy to is Frank Smith, a maverick in the world community of reading experts. His excellent book "Reading Without Nonsense" is required reading by all PhotoReading Instructors. Consider getting hold of that book.

My position as a father of 3 boys was to read to them a lot. Encourage reading by finding ways to read with them. Show them that there are options...like reading a kids book from the last word forward to the first word. It's hilarious and teaches a lot about syntax or sentence construction.

The main thing is that kids feel that they have joined the "club" of those who read. They need to learn the finer points of discovering what it means to be a member.

My 3 kids took the PhotoReading course at ages 12, 10, and 9 respectively. When the youngest took it the first time, his older brothers repeated the course at 17 and 15. They are all bright, labeled gifted, and excellent readers. All of them have different ways of approaching their reading and all have differing levels of motivation to read.

#22067 08/04/01 05:09 AM

It's always interesting when The Great Paul Scheele responds... when he speaks, multitudes listen, like the teachers in the Prosperity metaphor.
So, your youngest learned to PR at age NINE?? Well, that will most certainly be interesting... Do they listen to paraliminals? Have they taken other courses? (IM, DA, CA, SFQ, MDV, NB, etc) It's gotta be interesting to see how far kids can go when they have all these resources, isn't it?
Do your children attend a public school? I read the words "labeled gifted" and that kind of set of an internal alarm Those kinds of things are usually associated with public schooling, as they group kids into mainstream, gifted, special ed, et cetera.

#22068 08/06/01 02:30 PM
BlkWolf Offline OP
OP Offline

My youngest is in the process of learning how to read. What I am starting with her is more on paying attention to the recall process. I have introduced her to concept that "we memorized everything" and "learning is recall of information already stored".

I have found with her that her reading has improve rapidly.

TTFN and happy hunting. My time now drifts to NLP studies so that I can find answers to my more rambling questions posted here.

BlkWolf

#22069 08/31/01 03:41 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Glad to know you are interested in the children topic. My wife an I always wondered how a child of our generation and upbringing would choose to rebel...so far we have had it pretty easy. My eldest rebelled by choosing to teach himself clarinet. Hmmm.

Yes, my kids are all in public schools...including college. I figure it is a good place to get started. Although my kids were too young to take my NLP courses and other open seminars, they have listened to loads of Paraliminals and choose them as ways to help in difficult times. They have not used the other courses, but thankfully listen to me when I offer "indirect" suggestions that can make a difference in how they achieve their goals.

The label of gifted has been a good thing for them and they have choosen to take the more challenging route most of the time, pushing above the crowd to pursue some of the extra opportunities offered at their schools. For example, in his jr. and sr. year in High School my eldest went full time to college. He finished two years of transcripts while getting his HS degree. I merely made him aware that the offer was available through his school and helped him access the necessary channels to make it happen. But he did it all for himself.

Hopefully, one day I'll write a book about it all...I figured I better wait until they are all through HS or college at least...lest I speak too soon.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved