Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22143 07/17/01 10:11 AM
OP Offline

Ok, you successful photoreaders out there:
Say you had a university course with, say, fifteen to twenty books to read and only one exam at the end of the semester. No assignments, group work or whatever. And no lectures to attend, because you were situated on an Island in the pacific far from any lecture theaters. You might as well hang around on some tropical island if you're a student who only has to attend one final exam. Bring your books, paraliminals and plenty of sun tan lotion, and you'd be set.
Now, being on a pacific Island, you wouldn't want to spend too much time studying. And regular reading is for the weak. So you just photoread all the books, activated them and that was it. All the information needed to do well at the exam was in the books.
The rest of your time was spent in harmony, with umbrella drinks and friendly islanders.
When time came, you got on a plane and showed up on campus on the day of the big exam.
How would you go?

(I'm thinking of going back to university)

#22144 07/17/01 03:04 PM

Hi John,
You might want to understand that some schools require a certain number of hours of lecture time in the class room. If that is not the case for you, then I see no problem with learning the material solely from the texts. I know a doctor that did just that. He studied the texts on his own and rarely attended a lecture. He did very well on the exams and by the fourth year half of his class was joining him in his study sessions. I also read in a National Geographic magazine about a doctor in Russia who couldn't afford to go somewhere to learn how to do heart surgery, so he got the neccessary texts and learned how from them. History is replete with individuals who became leaders in thier field of endeavor without a formal education. You have to have an education to do well in this world. Who said that you had to get that education in a formal school setting?

Good luck and study well,
Gregory

#22145 07/18/01 07:55 AM
OP Offline

Hi there, Gregory!
Yes, most schools do require you to attend tutorials or whatever, but not all. I actually did a one year course in the way descibed earlier, and did quite well, if I may say so myself, getting a top mark for the exam(and of course, the course).I feel I saved myself alot of time by studying by myself only, and not wasting time on lectures, which I have never gotten all that much from anyway. There is something wrong with my note taking ability: I can't get myself to take notes. So lectures are a waste of time for me.
My point, though, was this: Could I have done that by just photoreading the material. I mean, I did spend quite a lot of time reading for the exam, and if I could just photoread everything, I could probably do two courses at once, or even three.
The thing is though: If photoreading was that great, why aren't more people doing it?

By the way, Greg, from reading your earlier posts here, you really do seem to have been successful with your photoreading efforts. That's good, it helps me think that this stuff might actually work!

Cheers.

#22146 07/18/01 02:44 PM

Hello again John,

It appears that I misinterpreted your original question. From what I understand, you can PR any number of books at any one time to the point where that is all you do during the day or week. I wish I had come acros this course 15 years ago when I was in college.

PR allows you to learn things from printed material. Just like the "old fashioned" regular way of reading, only much faster. (As an aside, I learned how to brew beer from reading a book just regular reading.) It stands to reason that you should be able to learn anything that is printed. If you wanted to do two or three college courses in one quarter or semester, all you have to do is get the recommended texts, PR, and activate the material. It shouldn't be a problem.

I currently have 14 text books that were published with the last three years that covers information that has been learned since I graduated from Chiropractic college 11 years ago. I am covering 1 text in a little over a week. At this point going to lectures is pointless for me as 1.) can't afford the time, 2.) the vast majority of material covered I already know, 3.) I cna better determine what I need to know as I can skip over things that I already know, 4.) if I have quetions about the information in the text I have found that I can contact the authors (most of the time they are happy to talk to me. The big difference for me before and after PRing is that I now understand the text and don't get lost in the detail and I can process the information at a fast enough pace that I don't get bored and stop studying the text before I'm finished.

If I understand your question correctly, I think I am basically doing what you are wanting to do.

Does that answer your question?

Just trying to help.
Greg

#22147 07/19/01 08:50 AM
OP Offline

YES Greg. That's what I want to do too. Awesome!
Thanks for taking the time out to respond again. I appreciate that a lot, and find your post very, very convincing. I'm still not sure whether I will be able to master PhotoReading myself, but... I'd be a dork if I didn't try it, wouldn't I?
I'll give the book a shot first, as I'm kinda short on cash at the moment. Then I'll move on to a home study course and/or a seminar. Is the seminar really worth the price compared to the homestudy course, you think? (Three times the price).

You've really given me a lot of faith with this, Greg.
Thanks,
John

#22148 07/19/01 10:23 AM

struggling college student, no money, and barely any food...hey Gregory, you think I could borrow your PR course?

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Chris

#22149 07/19/01 01:47 PM

Hi guys,
The system works beatifully!!! Anyone who can learn to read can learn how to PR. You both can learn the system, just be patient with yourselves and don't push too hard too fast.

The best piece of advice I can give is to start with the book and this discussion board. You can also call or e-mail Learning Strategies Corp. (LSC) for more help if needed. If the book and assistance from LSC isn't quite enough for you to get the system down, get the home study course. The nice thing about the book and the course is that you can go through them again, and again, and again...as many times as you need. That proved very helpful for me. Once you learn the system you can teach your kids when you have them and give them a huge advantage in this world.

As for the course versus the seminar, I've done both for my own personal reasons. If you can get the system to work for you with the book, why buy the course? If you get the system to work with the home study course, why take the seminar?

This is how I work/read/process text books:
1. prepare- less than 1 minute
2. preview- 5-10 minutes
3. PR- 10 minutes (the whole book)
4. activate (each chapter treated as a
seperate text book)- 30 minute sessions as
follows:
A. prepare (less than 1 minute)
B. super read and dip (20 minutes)
C. mind map from memory with the book
closed (5 minutes)
D. break (5 minutes)

When I take the 5 minute break I get up and move around a bit. Get a drink of water, juggle a bit to help balance my brain, look out the windows, listen to the radio...whatever. Then after 5 minutes I sit down and start the 30 minute cycle again. I do three activation sessions then take a 15 minute (or longer) break depending on the time of day and the duties that I have at hand. I try to get at least 3 activation sessions per day. After I finish the text, I go back and take all the seperate mind maps that I have created and combine them into one big mind map. I use this for review and to make a convenient, single mind map for when I wish to review the material in the future. It's a beautiful system.

The question remains, how many activation sessions per chapter/book? That depends on how much detail is in the chapter/book and the level of knowlege that I need. There is one chapter that I activated in one or two activation sessions and another that took 4 or 5 sessions. I keep going until my questions have been answered and the chapter/book "gels" (makes sence).

I didn't really keep close track with this text. All I know is that a similar sized and detailed text took me 24 days (reading/studying) every day for hours before I got it down. This text has taken me about 7 days total with anywhere from 3 or 5 activation sessions per day. I will never "regular read" another text in my life!!!

Learn the system. Your life will change for the better in many ways.

If you have anymore questions that I might be able to help you with please ask.

Gregory

#22150 07/19/01 02:25 PM

Gregory I find your technique very interesting and helpful. Have you tried skittering before? I am trying different activation methods and I haven't found sufficient explanation on this method (I have the book and I tried searching the forum).

Thanks

#22151 07/19/01 02:31 PM
OP Offline

Gregory,
your input is much appreciated. Taking the time out to write an elaborate post like that is... Well, suffice to say, I'm impressed. You're one of the good guys!

I'm ordering the book straight away. The money is not the real issue when it comes to the book of course, the thing is the time investment. I'm already living a super hectic lifestyle (which is beginning to wear me down) so spending time to learn something I'm unsure about is not what I necessarily want to do. But you sound pretty convincing, so... I'll make that investment now, more confident that I'll actually be able to use this stuff.
If I can do what you're doing... it's certainly going to solve a few problems for me, to say the least. It opens up a lot of doors.
You guys who can do this stuff must laugh at indivuals like myself who are scared and skeptical and apprehensive and insecure about everything that does not confirm to our established views of how things are and should be. Thanks for pushing a bit. We need it.

Johns

#22152 07/20/01 05:30 AM

Hello again,
I'm glad to know that my input is of some assistance to someone out there.

I haven't read much on skittering and so can't really speak as to this particular technique. When I am superreading, I don't go straight down the page as advocated and instructed by Pete and others. I find that my eyes actually skip randomly from side to side of the column/page as I move down the page. The only time I go backwards is when I back-up to dip. I think this is referred to as skittering by others but am unsure. All I know is that it works for me. If this doesn't make sence let me know and I will try to explain more clearly.

I don't laugh at people who are trying to improve themselves (I chuckle and smile remembering that I was there once) . I'm still learning how to be more effective with this system and look foreward to the day that I can finish my reading material in 10% of the time it used to take me reading my old way.

If money isn't the real issue, I would suggest that you go ahead and order the home study course. You have a 30 day money back guarantee (extendable to 6 months if you ask) if you are unhappy. In my opinion, I think you will get more benefit from the course. You won't have to work as hard trying to figure out the system because you are led through it by Paul. A little hand holding can be a good thing. It will save you some time which appears to be the bigger issue for you.

One of the most helpful things about this system that I can offer is that you make multiple passes through the material because you build your comprehension in layers. You first get the structure of the topic from your preview.

PRing puts the information into your other-than-conscious mind. In other words, it's in your head but your conscious mind can't access it until you activate the information.

Activation then allows you to fill in the details working from the bigger parts to the fine details. That is why it doesn't matter if you have pages stick together during the PR step. It took me a long time to get a good understanding of the layering detail of the system and is really important to know. One of the big things that helped me was that I made it ok for me to miss material the first, second, third...time through the material and make as many passes as neccessary until I get the understanding I need.

Definately take the time to learn the system. With this skill you can become a leader in any field you want because you will be able to learn faster than the researchers can learn new details. In a matter of two years or less you can become a leading expert in almost any field you choose.

I have one friend who built himself a house with his two hands and his wife from information he learned from a book. The house is now valued at 6 figures. Another friend only has a high shcool degree yet he is able to solve problem in his field better than the college educated guys he works with. It's amazing what one can do when they want to learn and can process information from printed material.

Enjoy and good luck. As always if I can help some more keep asking quetions.

Cheers,
Gregory

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved