Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22368 07/25/01 05:08 AM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

When reading the first and last sentence are we suppose to literally read the first sentence of a paragraph, or do we read the first complete sentence even if goes into the second line of that paragraph?

[This message has been edited by MikeT (edited July 25, 2001).]

#22369 07/30/01 09:41 AM

first i'll answer your question.
a sentance isnt the same thing as a line (it can be equal in its length but they mean from the start till the stop) so in order to read the key sentance and the summary sentance you have to proceede untill the first stop.

another thing is that rapid reading has nothing to do with reading the first and last sentances. this has to do with pre/postview. so you should recheck the rapid reading topic for better understanding.

hope this helps,
Raanan Hadar

[This message has been edited by Raanan Hadar (edited July 30, 2001).]

#22370 07/30/01 06:00 PM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

My understanding of rapid reading is that it is the step after activation if we need more detailed knowledge of our chosen reading.

quote:
Originally posted by Raanan Hadar:
first i'll answer your question.
a sentance isnt the same thing as a line (it can be equal in its length but they mean from the start till the stop) so in order to read the key sentance and the summary sentance you have to proceede untill the first stop.

another thing is that rapid reading has nothing to do with reading the first and last sentances. this has to do with pre/postview. so you should recheck the rapid reading topic for better understanding.

hope this helps,
Raanan Hadar

[This message has been edited by Raanan Hadar (edited July 30, 2001).]

#22371 07/30/01 07:08 PM

thats good.
anyway in rapid reading you move through the whole text from start to finish in varying speeds so you skip what you know and put your attention on things you wish to know better basically it functions as an indepth super reading and dipping but you read the whole thing and don't do 'jumps'.
but when you preview or postview a part of it requires that you read the main and summary sentances of each chapters. or if it is an article then you should do it to each passage. and so on depending on the complexity and inheritance of the metarial.

#22372 08/01/01 06:05 PM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

The course says to read the first and last sentence of each paragraph...and to visually acknoledge each word in the paragraph.

This does not signal to me to skim in the mannor that you mentioned, because the course says that we can view each word from right to left. I do not believe the course would suggest such a pattern if more of a standard tech. of reading was required, because most people can not consciously interpret a sentence that they are reading backwards.

Im so confused!

quote:
Originally posted by Raanan Hadar:
thats good.
anyway in rapid reading you move through the whole text from start to finish in varying speeds so you skip what you know and put your attention on things you wish to know better basically it functions as an indepth super reading and dipping but you read the whole thing and don't do 'jumps'.
but when you preview or postview a part of it requires that you read the main and summary sentances of each chapters. or if it is an article then you should do it to each passage. and so on depending on the complexity and inheritance of the metarial.

#22373 08/02/01 03:55 PM

Good questions.

You read the first and last sentence in each paragraph you are going to skitter in step 4, Activation. See pages 64-65 of the PhotoReading book for more details.

Rapid Reading is where you move swiftly through the text, taking as much time as you need, start to finish without stopping. Don't stop and try to wrestle with what you don't know, because you'll get sidetracked and never finish. Just keep pluggin' along and you will come to information you understand, and discover clues in the text which answer your questions. See pages 72-73 in the PRB for more info.

Hope this helps!

#22374 08/03/01 04:14 PM
MikeT Offline OP
OP Offline

I think i get it......I have been confussing skittering with rapid reading ?

[This message has been edited by MikeT (edited August 03, 2001).]

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved