Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BlkWolf Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a technical question concerning PhotoFocus for you. Don't know if this one can be answered but I will go ahead and present the question and see what happens.

The PF (PhotoFocus) has been called a soft gaze. Through posts provided by Allenhm and others, along with the fact that partially blind, blind and people with 1 eye have been able to learn the PR process.

I have found "soft gaze" and "blip page" to be two different things within the PF state. With a soft gaze you are not focused on anything, your eyes are not crossed and your peripheral is opened up. When focusing to see the blip page, your gaze is soft but your vision is crossed. This is different then a soft gaze. (Ex. I would drive down the road using a soft gaze, but not a cross gaze.)

It has been communicated that the blip page itself is not important to success. With that, my question:
Why is a cross eyed approach taught as the PF state? Is this a "learning tool" to get the newcomers going? Is there different mental reactions which occur while in a cross gaze? If a soft gaze will work just as successfully, why then have a cross gaze involved at all? I can not drive down the road in a cross gaze where I can in a soft gaze.

Does anyone understand the how's and why's to these questions?

Thx ye'all,

Blk

Actually, my understanding of the soft gaze is that it is divergent. Crossing eyes to get the blip page is less comfortable. If you can see the left and right margins of the book, your eyes should be diverging.

I'm not really sure blk wolf. Your not crossing your eyes but by relaxing your eyes, they then tend to move away from your nose versus towards your nose (cross eyed). Try this experiment. Hold up your index finger on either hand in front of your face and relax your gaze. You suddenly see two index fingers, now cover your right eye. The left finger will disappear. Now cover the left eye, and the right finger will disappear. You all give it a try when in doubt about the soft gaze/diverge. Remember, "merge" means your eyes comes together(cross eyed), diverge= separate or move apart.

BlkWolf Offline OP
OP Offline

yo Allen,

Yes, you are right. It is eyes apart vs crossed. It looks the same to me.

So, is there neurological advantages to diversion vs the "X" method? I can successfully Diverge up to 1/2 the page. This however seams to tire me out. The further I diverge, the clearer the text becomes when I take my classes off. I will continue this vs the "X" method if there are advantages. If there are advantages, does anyone understand the how's and why's? For myself, if I understand why, I can better use that process.

Thx,

Blk

BlkWolf Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like to bubble this question back up to the group.

I read that the "X" method involves the creative part of the brain while in PhotoFocus. Does Divergence involve the same? If not, what would be the pro/con for one over the other.

Would a combination of divergence and "X" method be ideal?

Note: I am still in my "try it and see" stage of PR 5-10 books/day. I noticed a difference when I PR new material vs PR old things.

There is a slightly different feel between the two styles.

Talk to you soon,

BlkWolf

Wazzup wolfey:

As far as your question is concerned, I naturally do both at the same time eventho I am really not trying for the "X".

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved