Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Hey there MikeB,

Question for you. Do you think that the class itself was your activation vs manually activating the book?

In other words, do you think that you would have the same level of understanding as you do today, if you relied upon Direct Learning alone? Is Direct Learning little more then a different form of Activation? Instead of Activating the information from written text, you activate it from situation.

In that case, would talking about material you have read with friend or in a business meeting be Direct Learning or just another form of activate?

The way I am trying to apply Direct Learning is by learning J2EE. Here I have to learn how to structure Java programs, how to use the latest java technology within its appropriate context. Kato claims he use the same techniques in passing the Military Exams. He also has years of NLP development which helped give him the skills needed to accomplish his goal. I however have not spent the time within the depths of DHE or NLP.

My ultimate question is, where does the success of DL come into play? Dana, if you PR the manual for your car, then was set free inside an auto part store to collect the right parts and assemble the car engine, would DL have provided you with the information you need to accomplish this task?

For myself, that is how I feel with trying to DL J2EE. When you pull a car apart, are you activating the process in reverse? I have also over hauled an engine before. (15 years ago). There is something to be said about DL a book and going through successfully without a glitch.

Comments?

Disclaimer: Please do not be angry or insulted by my struggles. I mean no disrespect to anyone. My curse is I have to understand. It would probably be much easier for me if I could accept vs understand.

Thx,

BlkWolf

When that happens to me, it feels like as if I slip into an altered state or something. Seems like the reactive conscious mind shuts down and allows the vast "inner genius" to flow...and isn't interested in what the conscious mind thinks about it.

Like with spontaneous activation, it's as if you can't always consciously witness it as it is happening.

Rick Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Guys,

Yes Dana, I have the "Natural Brilliance" book and I will be playing with the section on Direct Learning to the letter. Also, I have found the replies by "BlkWolf" and "MikeB" very intriguing.

Dana, Pete Bissonette posted the following reply on 9/25/2000:

Pete Bissonette
posted September 25, 2000
---------------------------------------------
We should have a Direct Learning tape out in early 2001.
Side A will be instructional.

Side B will be Paraliminal.

FYI

-----------------------------------

As per Mr. Bissonette's post, is the instructional/paraliminal tape on DIRECT LEARNING available from LSC yet?

Thx!

Hi BlkWlf,

Sorry I didn't get back to your questions earlier - I had an incredibly busy weekend.

You asked, "Do you think that the class itself was your activation vs manually activating the book?"

I would have to answer this as no, not exactly. The material in the books, for the most part, concerned the deeper underlying reasons for what we learned in class. The general effect that I got (and remember I started learning PRing while I was in the class, so I was a complete newbie) was that I got intuitions and insights into the techniques I was learning - I guess you could say the reading formed a foundational layer below what I learned in class, and class itself helped to create associations with what I PRed.

In other words, it wasn't like activation. When it was all said and done, I didn't "know" the content of each of the books - I couldn't point to a specific book and say, "Oh, yeah, this material was covered in chapter 4 of that book."

A large part of this may have been to do with my stated purpose, which was to build an unconscious foundation for what I was learning in class.

My advice would be to play with it. Lately I've been PRing my college textbooks with the purpose of sponteously activating them when I need the info. Results are varied so far but encouraging and I've been using Personal Genius with the goal of increasing spontaneous activation skills which seems to be helping.

Good Luck!
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by BlkWolf:

My ultimate question is, where does the success of DL come into play? Dana, if you PR the manual for your car, then was set free inside an auto part store to collect the right parts and assemble the car engine, would DL have provided you with the information you need to accomplish this task?

For myself, that is how I feel with trying to DL J2EE. When you pull a car apart, are you activating the process in reverse? I have also over hauled an engine before. (15 years ago). There is something to be said about DL a book and going through successfully without a glitch.
Comments?

BlkWolf[/B]

Good questions.

"Direct Learning in reverse during teardown?" Absolutely. A large portion of a repair manual is first explaining how to tear something apart or take it out, then fix it and put it all back together.

With my Thunderbird project, I credit Direct Learning for giving me the ability to perform a skill I hadn't ever felt competant or confident enough to do before, following pages and pages of instructions, utilizing many dozens of tools, and performing each step of the engine overhaul all the way thru until it was finished and back in the car. It feels like a "laser focus" kicks in and a positive motivation that says "I'm gonna do whatever it takes to get this done!"

So, I totally say "Do the process!" Expect results.

[This message has been edited by Dana Hanson (edited July 30, 2001).]

Hi Dana,
I have looked in all of the posts in the PR and paraliminal discusion forums looking for clarity by what you meant by "knowing all the characteristics in your new skill and/or behavior". I also looked through the DL chapter in the NB book and came up scratch.

Would you please clarify what you mean by "characteristics of the new skill/behavior"?

In an earlier post in this thread, you mentioned that you overhauled an engine by DLing the Haynes manual. Is that the only book you used or were there others? Could one use only one book for the DL proccess or is it neccessary to use multiple referrances?

Sincerely,
Gregory

I don't understand how you could come up with "scratch." The bottom of page 123 is the answer to your question....where you visualize yourself already having mastered and using the new skills/behaviors you want from your books.

Knowing all of the characteristics of the new skill/behavior is necessary for the Direct Learning process to non-consciously activate them from books you PhotoRead, which speak authoritatively about the subject. Practical, how-to books.

The Natural Brilliance book says it best:

"Activation with Direct Learning provides a way to respond without trying to respond differently. Because Direct Learning changes behavior wthtout your conscious intervention to change your behavior, it breaks the cycle of your paradoxical problems. The change occurs indirectly from inner wisdom working beyond conscious logic to solve your problems. It is paradoxicaally perfect and ideally suited to your life."

For complete details, see pages 15,110-115,120-127,154 of the Natural Brilliance book.

It's a ridiculously simple process, and it bypasses the opportunity for your conscious mind to interfere with integration.

It's better to use multiple references, so you get multiple angles.

For that engine overhaul, I used only the Haynes manual, because it does a very good, thorough job of teaching you the procedures. Lots of pictures, connect the dots, (j/k)

So far, I've put over 20,000 miles on that motor, and no problems with it.

Hello World,

So what I have gathered from the discussions on the path to success with DL (Direct Learning) is that belief is its own self fulfilled prophecy.

How do you over come the paradox of blind faith and founded faith? Blind faith is the foundation which hope is built, where founded faith is where belief is built.

A student finds drive from hope and success from belief. Is the ultimate answer, "just believe it?"

I know that within myself, the above is the struggle I face. I understand how NLP as a teaching technique helps redefine and guilds the student to success. If so, then a mastery of the mental process is defiantly in order. Its not the simple reciting of words in your mind, its the acceptance of the redefinition which the ideas provide. In other words, the processes which Paul describes becomes the foundation by which hope becomes belief without its personalized foundation.

I know, "What the h#11 is this guy going?" My whole point with all of that is, the steps are simple, the process to apply the steps are not. It would be much simpler if I did not question or seek understanding. From what I see, those who get into PR (PhotoReading) are those who question and seek. They are the ones who hunt for understanding. Those who would best succeed are those who are content and don't need to understand. Talk about your paradox. In affect, we cripple ourselves by our own motivations. We end up working harder to obtain. That's ok. This is obtainable and I will do it. When I do, I will take it beyond its initial design.

* BlkWolf puts a Microphone up to the speaker and waits for feedback,

BlkWolf

Hi Dana,
I read your last post several times and the pages that you refered to in the NB book. Thank you for the clarification. I think I understand the process now. In trying to understand the process I was making it more difficult than it really is. I will be using DL much more now that I understand it.

One more question though. I enjoy windsurfing and want to improve considerably (I'm still learning how). There aren't any authoritative books on this subject. Could I use a video of several other people windsurfing with DLing or is this task better suited for various paraliminal tapes?

Sincerely,
Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited July 31, 2001).]

No books out there, huh? Well, you can corner the market with a "how-to" book once you master Windsurfing!

If you have a video, you would benefit most by watching it and then using New Behavior Generator side B. Direct Learning is more for triggering up what you PhotoRead. But, try it out anyway. It's easy to do. Then, post back with your developments!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved