Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Allright . . . I have photoread several technical textbooks in preparation to start college next week and I have spent hours activating them. What I did to activate the books was I first sat down with the textbook in front of me, relaxed, and entered the ideal state for learning (took deep breaths, put the tangerine on my head, and calmed myself down). Then, I opened my book and proceeded to follow my previously planned goal of activating the first quarter of it. I simply just went ahead and skittered through the whole quarter. I mean, I simply just started off zig-zagging my way down the page, taking care to notice words, but not without rapid-reading through the first sentence of each paragraph. Of course, I have had almost no comprehension, but that's allright because I do expect an instant full comprehension of the books once I have done enough activation. I just needed someone to let me know that my expectation is valid and that I am on the track towards an instant full comprehension. It really does aggravate me that I don't comprehend it at all, yet, but I'm not letting it get to me because I expect around 70% comprehension to occur instantly at one time in the near future. Is my expectation valid?? I'd really appreciate someone helping me out.

Hi jmbreland,
when reading technical material, like text books, you should activate each chapter as if it is a seperate book. If you approach the text and try to activate 1/4 of the text at a time it might be too much for you to activate at one time.

If you activate the text at the rate of one chapter at a time, eventually the whole text will "gel" and you will understand the material. Remember to ask mind probing questions based on the trigger words and what you want to know from the material.

Hope this helps,
Gregory

OP Offline

What about my expectations?? I would like for someone to let me know if they are too far-fetched or not.

Read your post & pretend it's a stranger's post. How would you reply to such a post?

PhotoReading the Whole Mind System is a system. This means there are a number of steps. Prepare, Preview, PhR, Activate. Until you have mastered the steps to the system, how can you expect it to work?

If you do not want to Activate, you are skipping one of the 4 steps. I have spent time PhRing books numerous times w/o doing anything other than drinking alot of water & taking plenty of time in the quiet scene before & after. But, at some point down the road, i start to MindMap it all out.

LAYERS

I don't agree with Margaret. One does not have to master all the steps in order to get results. It is possible to do everything right even though you haven't mastered tecnique. And it does happen from time to time. However, mastering helps getting results regularily.

I can't tell for sure if your way will work, but it's possible. The idea reminded me on a speed reading success story from Tony Buzan's book. A woman who attended a speed reading course got frustrated with one exercise (turning pages every 5 secs and trying to understand as much as possible), so she got up and left. Next day, they were supposed to do the same thing (with same book) - concentrate and flip trying to understand something. After few minutes she yelled: "I did it!" What did she do? The whole book just popped into her conscious mind and she felt like she was watching a movie she had seen before.

You are probably familiar with the underlying concept of this exercise - go real fast through the material and let your sunconscious mind absorb it. Then go back and redo it until you've got full comprehension.

The thing is that she did it although she was just learning. Far from mastery, but doing things right. So, the answer to your question is YES. IT IS POSSIBLE. But it probably won't happen all the time until you master the system.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved