Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everybody! (I'm new.)

Some background: I have the home study course and have gone all the way through it once, but I plan on going through it at least once more.

Anyway, here is my question: How much choice, if any, does the other-than-conscious mind have in accepting/rejecting the information it receives through photoreading? For example, if I were to photoread several books on playing the piano in order to improve my playing, theoretically, I should improve even if I'm not aware of it. That's actually something I'm thinking about doing. But what if I were to photoread, say, several fictional murder mysteries where the authors describe the murders in great detail? That's not a behavior I'd want to learn, but my purpose for reading those books would be for enjoyment, not learning the behaviors portrayed there (although I don't think I could enjoy that type of book in the first place).

Would my purpose for reading the books have an effect on what my other-than-conscious learns as far as generating new or improving existing behaviors goes?

These aren't really major concerns as my purpose for reading would never be to learn a behavior I don't want to learn. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts or insights on this.

Thanks

One more thing, first internet forum post ever!

With direct learning you only integrate the new information with what you do if you're actually doing it. If you read a murder/mystery you wouldn't automatically become a murderer. But if you photoread plenty of books on playing piano and music theory, the more you play you're going to notice you have a new understanding of the relations between different notes and chords.

Having information in your other-than-conscious is one thing, turning them into a working knowledge is another.

M Offline OP
OP Offline

OK, that makes sense.

I guess I started thinking about it after reading about the person who photoread a Swedish dictionary several times and ordered a meal at a restaurant in Swedish without realizing it. But his knowledge wasn't activated until being exposed to actually hearing the language spoken.

Thanks for the insight.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved