Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I saw a very interesting programme on British TV tonight about a mind control expert called Derren Brown. Apart from some truly amazing feats of clairvoyance and mind manipulation, Derren also demonstrated his awesome "Photoreading" skills. He asked a librarian to pick a page number in a large English dictionary (that he had Photoread beforehand), choose an entry (he said, for example, "Second column, 5th entry") and Derren thought for a couple of seconds and then read, verbatim, what was under that entry. He then Photoread another book and did the same thing, reciting word for word what was under that page heading and even which part was in italics. He could literally see the pages in his mind!

I just thought I'd throw this idea into the discussion forum because I often see posts by new Photoreaders asking if they will get 100% comprehension from the book. Understandably, they are told that wanting 100% recall from Photoreading is expecting too much. However, if this guy Derren can do it...just think of the possibilities!

Tonight's show was the second he has done, however he did one last year too. I don't think he did "Photoreading" on the first show, but he does have a website address which I am happy to share with you:

http://www.channel4.com/mindcontrol/

Keep a look out for his show wherever you are in the world.

I just watched that programme this morning (I was out last night, so I taped it). Unfortunately, I missed the beginning of it (damn VCR!), but it started just at the point where he demonstrated PR. Very impressive!!! His abilities are, well, scary to say the least!!!

I'll just have to watch it on Tuesday (on S4C) to catch the beginning!

BTW - you can also try http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk

[This message has been edited by bujin (edited August 26, 2001).]

Hello,
I am a magician and i would like to alert you to the fact that this man is also a magician. Magicians use tricks to acomplish their impossible acts. Derrin Brown uses tricks of memonics to do what he dose with the book. You are not seeing photo reading. You are seeing what appears to be photo reading but it's not. This man is a trickster like me. He makes you belive the impossible. The truth is is that unless you possess some amazing brain, YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO WHAT YOU SAW ON TV.

Sorry to burst your bubble but i don't want you to set yourself up for dissapointment. I want you to be happy with this great system.

Harry Lorraine showed how you can "MEMORIZE" an entire book to impress other people and that sounds like what this guy did. It's still very impressive however COOL is right, it's not JUST photoreading- it's other mental tricks THAT ARE REALLY NEAT AND FUN but not photoreading alone. If he has a true photographic memory, even better.

I believe he did acually use photoreading, but combined it with something else. He actually said on the program that the technique was known as 'photoreading'! I'm well aware of what Derren Brown is - he freely admits throughout his program and on his website that it's all just tricks. It's still bloody impressive though! Even that Kung Fu Master looked shocked at his mental version of the one-inch-punch!!!

OP Offline

"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

No, I agree with you to a certain extent. Derren admits on his show that things were "set up" like the thing with the advertising guys. Isn't that a really cool demonstration of periperal perception and how it affects us in our daily lives, though? He also uses "tricks" of suggestion that I am not able to understand or perceive, however, T@coolread, if you can tell me my PIN number just by asking me to think of it, then I might hold some faith in what you say.

You're not "busting my bubble" either! Don't worry about that. And Andy, if you could memorise a dictionary that is well over a thousand pages long using mnemonics, then good luck to you! Show me!

Also, I m not so naive as to ignore the fact that Derren may have had the whole thing set up, even including the mazing "chi" demonstration at the kung-ku club! I said that "IF this guy Derren can do it..." I was merely sharing what I had seen on TV with Photoreaders. Have you noticed now British people like to throw a damp cloth over things? That is why there are no truly innovative companies like LSC in the UK! (And yes! I do know that companies here market so called "New-Age" stuff, but from where does most of it originate?)

If it is a hoax, I will willingly retract my funky red light sabre if that is the case, but if it is not, then be prepared to do battle with Darth Vader...and remember what happened to Obi Wan!

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebel's hidden fortresses"

Now, what Vader should have said here was:

"Ok, I admit it! I made a mistake! But allow me to introduce you to my new friend Darth Derren...and I'm going to strangle you anyway!"

And what's really amazing about this is that I only saw "Star Wars" for the first time last night! How's about that for for perfect recall?

Sorry, but there's no smiley for "menacing heavy breathing" so I'll just have to leave you with this...

MTFBWY

"Strong am I with the force, but not that strong."

Listen Darth,
I am not starting a fight or anything. I just said that Derrin is a magic man and is probably not a person who can actually remember a series of written pages just by flipping through them. And your pin number is unknown to me because i am not that powerfull. I hope to have no enemies in this forum.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved