Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#23164 09/02/01 08:45 PM
Sidis Offline OP
OP Offline

If Margaret is such a proficient photoreader, why does it seem as though she struggles to organize her thoughts into sentences?

#23165 09/02/01 10:51 PM

What is the logic here?

1. It is a (alleged) fact that Margaret struggles to write coherent sentences.
2. Therefore her claims about her Photoreading performance are open to question.

I have difficulty following this. It's possible that one is performing Photoreading at high levels for the sake of learning how to be a better gardener, not a better writer. And if one were Photoreading to become a better writer, it does not follow that one's poor writing undermines the claims of Photoreading. It's possible that one is still reading quickly with high comprehension. It would call into question some of the claims of "direct learning" of new skills.

So, Sidis, please clarify.

#23166 09/03/01 01:15 AM

I've never had trouble reading Margaret's posts. She expresses herself clearly and contributes valuable insights without resorting to irritating shorthand. What exactly is the point of singling her out?

Moises makes a good point about transference of skills. I've met many corporate presidents and vice presidents who struggle to write clearly or even spell properly. Although you would think that they would, it apparently wasn't their written communication skills that got them where they are. Being good leaders does not automatically mean they will be good written communicators. Where is the implied relationship between Photoreading and writing skills?

Having said all that, I'll continue to maintain that Margaret's posts are lucid and valuable and I look forward to each new post.

Are we to assume that your impressive communication skills also indicate great Photoreading talents? They certainly don't seem to indicate good relational skills.

#23167 09/03/01 09:48 AM

I am not speaking of Margaret, or any others directly:

It is my own personal experience to have observed many book smart people who lack in other areas, over the past few years I've worked with my colleagues. However, due to the fact that those who correlate with my statements are not very proficient in the structure of the English language - they will soon come to suffer, indirectly.

It is NECESSARY to have good communication/oral skills, to succeed in the business world.

As far as mishaps *online,* that's a completely different matter. It's either a case of bad typing skills, or just choosing to relax - considering they believe there is NO DIRECT IMPACT (it's not face-to-face) of their statements.

Now, I for one - will tend to get confused if I start replacing "u" for "you."

Therefore, I like to maintain a style of professionalism in all aspects of the language - clear and precise.

Hm, it may be deceit - but most people will figure me extremely older than I may seem, due to such approaches. For example, one fellow I had known online for approximately 2-3 years never followed up on my age - he mistook me as some laid-back 40 year-old, instead of 16. It was hilarious, but we got things cleared up.

A/S/L is quite annoying on a first-statement basis. Yet, I think when the conversation transcends into a much deeper form - it's fine.

Anyhow, sorry for the ramblings, but at least I got some of my time occupied.

#23168 09/03/01 03:18 PM

Teenagers who think they know it all tend to speak in an adult proffessional manner, makes them feel accepted and like an adult. I'm 18, and I am beggining to figure out that you don't need to talk like that on forums. Just speak your mind and be yourself.

#23169 09/03/01 04:13 PM

I never noticed that Margaret posts anything incoherent. I-do- this- all- the time instead of using comma's or starting a new sentence- and no one said anything.

#23170 09/03/01 10:08 PM

I find Margarets posts add substance to this forum and I always look forward to reading her experiences!

Margaret ... you're the best!

#23171 09/04/01 12:13 AM

ROFL! - I don't know it all; Never said I did, and never will.

I tend to speak this way not only on forums, but in public.

It's my normal approach - not something that just started yesterday so I could "try and impress" you all.

I have been doing this for years - and no, I will not change it according to your post. I hardly think there's anything "wrong" with my tendencies.

#23172 09/04/01 12:33 AM

For those of us who are "slang-challenged."
http://www.filetrading.net/html/slang/default.htm

#23173 09/04/01 02:17 AM

First, I get great information from Margarets posts. So, Margaret, keep on posting, you replies are very helpful and insightful.

Second, concerning the questions about slang, shorthand and even questioning peoples intellect, let me just say,
this concern is a real humdinger, ain't it?

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited September 03, 2001).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved