Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Where I am at in the course:
I have the home study course and am currently on tape 6. So I have PhR the first book (the PhR book) and have activated it and have PhR the second book (Natural Brilliance).

I have been a bit annoyed because this forum has mentioned several things that were found in the PhR book but I had not picked them up during my activation sessions. I had about 4 or 5 activation sessions and was confident that I had gotten everything I wanted to get from the book. But then I find that I had missed vital info such as the suggested 5-day plan on pp. 76-77 of the 3rd edition.

Anyway, never mind that - it was my first PhR experience after all.

My question is: The 5-day plan of the book suggests that you do the Photoreading step each day including before the activation sessions. This was not mentioned on the tapes at all. Is that what I should be doing for all my photoreading - doing the PhR step before every session with the book???? From the tape I got the impression that you did the PhR step only once.

That 5 day plan isn't important-that's probably why you skipped it. I slow read the book before and couldn't remember what you were talking about and had to look it up. He has you Pring a book 5 times when clearly once is enough- it's just one practice thingy you'll probably only do once if at all. It's just a test to prove to yourself that you can "KNOW" a book in 1/3rd the time compared to regular reading. You are going to modify your reading anyway and if you want to PR to trigger memories or as a refresher before superreading- do it but you don't have to. I said before that SOME books are worth slow reading and this course came with 2 of them. There's tons of stuff I can't remember off hand even having slow read them.

OP Offline

Thanks, Andy! Glad to know there was not inconsistent info in the tapes and book!

One thing that I didn't pick up on my first trip thru the tapes is you aren't going for comprehension during your first couple activation steps- whether it be superreading/dipping or skittering- the first couple times you do them, and you are meant to do them multiple times before even considering rapid reading. You're meant to go for speed and letting certain words and sections of the book make an impression on you based on your purpose(s) and mind probe questions. That was my big problem. I was PRing, superreading/dipping, skittering then rapid reading the whole books and my time wasn't that good- but still better than in the past. After I started skittering a book 3-5 times and adding/deleting purposes and mind probe questions I noticed my rapid reading was getting faster because certain paragraphs jumped out at me and ones that didn't, I flew thru confident that I wasn't missing much.

Today I had 5 minutes to kill before I had to do something so I just started reading some book the way I used to before and I got this strange "stuck" feeling. After reading 2 pages I was so irritated I had to stop. I looked at the clock and 3 minutes had passed and I was reading pretty fast but I was stopping and going over certain sentences. It was the first time in 2 months that I didn't read for a reason, didn't relax, didn't preview or anything and I didn't like it. I wasn't even remembering anything- which was why I had to keep going over certain sentences. Then it hit me: I've been reading like THIS for 29 years! No wonder school and college was so tough. Even though I didn't feel like I was improving that much compared to what I wanted in then beginning, (I mean, who doesn't want to read like Pete on that infomercial?) I am reading not just alot faster but I'm remembering the MOST important things. In the past every idea was given the same time and attention no matter how important or irrelevant it was.

I'm slow reading Natural Brilliance right now trying to see if I missed anything during just Pring and activating it and I'm seeing that I missed just the supporting ideas and really did get most of the book in the hour I spent with it - I used it twice when I went thru the course twice for a total of about an hour. To me that's encouraging because Natural Brilliance is one of those rare books with alot more than "11%" relevant information.

OP Offline

Hey Andy! Thanx again for your message. When I read it I said to myself, "Oh my goodness! That is exactly what I am doing!" ie. I am jumping in pretty quick with the rapid reading. On one of your other posts I read what you wrote about the preview & super reading steps being more important than the rapid reading step - and again that is the exact opposite of what I am doing. I will try and restructure my methodology based on your suggestions and see how I go!

Funny how we all do the same things!
Superreading isn't more important than rapid reading but if you do it right you may be able to skip the rapid reading- depending on what you want from the book. If I know I'm going to want to slow read (like Vernon Howard's books) I'll just PR and then rapid read. Every sentence in his books are meaningful.

OP Offline

Doh-noh Vernon Howard. Who him?

Vernon Howard was an author and lecturer about modern psychology/spirituality from 1965 till his death in 1992. Pre 1960 he wrote mostly children's books and from 1960-1965 he wrote alot of "success" type books. In those years he wrote 5 books and they've been ripped off pretty heavily. It seems Tony Robbins ripped him off word for word- even taking the phrase "Personal Power" from one of his books. I'm sure it wasn't intentional- Tony credits Jim Rohn for most of his inspiration in the beginning and I'm sure Jim read Vernon's books.

Vernon must have had an awakening in 1965 when he wrote "Psycho-Pictography" (which has been renamed "Secrets for higher success") because it was totally unlike anything he wrote before and in many ways was his best book. If you're familiar with Ken Roberts- this book is the "Lost Manuscript" Ken uses as the crux of his course called, "A Rich Man's Secret". I don't care for Ken's financial info but he's responsible for introducing (re-introducing) alot of people to Vernon's books. I found out about Vernon thru reading Guy Finley's books- he's the only living author carrying on where Vernon left off.

You simply cannot PR Vern's or Guy's books. Every sentence is meaningful. There really is no "topic" "subtopic" or anything like that. Just one truth after another. Vern's site is www.anewlife.org and Guy's site is www.guyfinley.com.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved