Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Lately I've been thinking about combining Photo Reading with Memonics and Mental Systems. Hey, seems like a good idea. You could memorize stuff while super reading and dipping.

I think taking two great mental systems and joining them could be...DANGEROUS.

Tell me what you think. If you've done it already, great! Tell me all about it. THANKS>

OP Offline

That is "combining". Sorry but i had to do something about the error in the topic title.

You said:

quote:
Originally posted by T@coolread:
Lately I've been thinking about combining Photo Reading with Memonics and Mental Systems. Hey, seems like a good idea. You could memorize stuff while super reading and dipping.

I think taking two great mental systems and joining them could be...DANGEROUS.

Tell me what you think. If you've done it already, great! Tell me all about it. THANKS>

That sounds cool. I think if you've reached competency at both, then it's probably best to start mixing things up a bit.

I find mnemonics incredibly frustrating and annoying. Piecemeal, ittybitty work. I've read Tony Buzan's hints on it but it seems like I'm efforting all the time when I do them.

I wonder if you know how to create a sense of ease around mnemonics. I find I get lost in the separate details and I need to relate everything together into a whole to retain the learning.

What kind of competency on mnemonics do you have? What kind of advice would you be able to offer on getting into flow on mnemonics. As I am learning foreign languages I would welcome any advice.

pveitch

I once tried Harry Lorraine's Mnemonics method (Link, peg, etc...). I'll admit that at first, the whole thing was tedious. Then I had the chance to practice almost each day with another enthusiast, sometimes we'd go on for hours just taking turns going through drills. After a few weeks I noticed I was making associations almost effortlessly, really without straining. The trick was to get into the right mind set to make clear and permanent mnemonic associations in my head; I just needed to get my mind used to doing it on demand. I think the same probably goes for Photo Reading but I think the process is a little more complex (I don't have the course yet.).

Be cool!

I think you have to be proficient in using mnemonics before you can combine activation with it. Otherwise, it takes too much time, and you're supposed to go through whole book in 30 mins.

Nevertheless, it is interesting idea, and I also came to think of it, but I didn't really commit myself to practicing mnemonics. Do you know any good book on the subject?

I've read one of Buzan's books on memory techniques, and I agree with what some of you say - it's hard work to think of mental images to associate. It DOES work, and quite well - I can still remember a list of 10 items that someone set me as a test around 12 months ago.

But it's too much hard work to use all the time - it takes too long for me to associate the object with the image.

(P.S. - that list was: 1-staples, 2-water, 3-soap, 4-rugby, 5-coke can, 6-chair, 7-sun, 8-radio, 9-ring, 10-cat)

Try this: make associations using anything you want or have to study. Forget about the phonetic numbering system, just make the associations using the rules: illogical, violent or with action, as ridiculous as you can make it. Keep doing it until you start making all your associations this way automatically. The rules will disolve, the method will stay. I once memorized the Periodic table, with atomic numbers and weights in about three hours total using associations this way.

I found that this works best when I get into a relaxed alpha state, things start to flow a little better.

Be Alpha State cool

quote:
Originally posted by Jovo:
I think you have to be proficient in using mnemonics before you can combine activation with it. Otherwise, it takes too much time, and you're supposed to go through whole book in 30 mins.

Nevertheless, it is interesting idea, and I also came to think of it, but I didn't really commit myself to practicing mnemonics. Do you know any good book on the subject?

You might want to try "Mega Memomory" by Kevin Treaudeau at www.amazon.com
This is a great book on mnemonics.Any books by Harry Lorrayne are also good.
Hope this helps, jonah

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pveitch:

You said:

That sounds cool. I think if you've reached competency at both, then it's probably best to start mixing things up a bit.

I find mnemonics incredibly frustrating and annoying. Piecemeal, ittybitty work. I've read Tony Buzan's hints on it but it seems like I'm efforting all the time when I do them.

I wonder if you know how to create a sense of ease around mnemonics. I find I get lost in the separate details and I need to relate everything together into a whole to retain the learning.

What kind of competency on mnemonics do you have? What kind of advice would you be able to offer on getting into flow on mnemonics. As I am learning foreign languages I would welcome any advice.

pveitch

[/QUOTE
pveitech-- Try the Mnemonic book Mega Memory and also try the Name Game, it was specifically designed for languarge learning.
It is found in "Accelerated Learning For the 21st Century" by Colin Rose. As an example,
the German for roof is Dach, in Old England, they made roofs out of thatch so D=TH. EI in German equals O in English, so Stein would be stone in English.
Just an example to decide if you might want to try it. Hope This Helps, jonah

Der Fuchs sprang über den faulen Hund.
The Fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved