Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23361 09/11/01 11:21 AM
OP Offline

I was wondering......

Why don`t LS go to the government, demonstrate PR and get it incorporated in all schools. The schools will love the fact that they can get the teaching done i less time. That means more time off, or more learning so the US gains a competetive advantage. Raising the standards.........

#23362 09/11/01 03:00 PM

you are so unaware. The american government doesn't want a nation full of open minded thinking people. They want a nation full of people who never think, never use their eyes and are easy to manipulate and control. Photoreading opened my mind and i am sure it has opened others. the Government can't have that they want to creat robots, not thinking human beings.

#23363 09/12/01 08:05 AM
OP Offline

Ok. Let me guess, you also don`t belive NASA has been so the moon. And Bush is in the hands of the Jews, who are trying to take over the world by poisening our beloved arien children. And the FBI new about the recent bombings, but hey needed it to strengthen Bush`s position.

Yep, seems like you are about the ONLY guy here I don`t want an answer from.

Can I please here from somebody who ISN`T a junior member, perhaps somebody who works here. Why not use PR in schools? Uh ?

#23364 09/12/01 12:22 PM

Silverflame,

A search on this forum will yield you an official response from the great people at LS.

My opinion is that our educational systems lag far behind in modern day learning techniques and still employ sytems developed centuries ago.

As the word reach's people in regards to alternate reading technique, mainly Photoreading ... maybe oneday, a memeber on this forum will be in the position to make a change in this world.

At least this in a goal I have set.

In closing, many members on this board offer advice on good will and are showing a tremedous effort to help people like you and I. Sometimes you and I may not agree with what is being said, however, we should at least respect the opinion of others.

#23365 09/12/01 12:48 PM

Paul C doesn't know how right he is. Consumers are valuable and the dumber consumers are, the more they'll consume. The movie "Fight Club" touches on this a little bit but that's off the subject.

The Public School System in America teaches at a slower rate than TRIAL AND ERROR LEARNING. It always has and will never change. My mom used to ask me when I came home from school, "What did you learn today" and I would say "Nuttin" and half the time I was right. Half the time our whole class would go over and over something that the dumbest student was having trouble with. Students that pick things up fast are not separated from the herd, they sit there while the slowest (nothing wrong with being slow, but) kids get more and more attention and sometimes the smart kids have to do more work or do work OVER again if they did it too fast the first time around. Ever write a report in 1 day? What do they say? "Where's your rough draft, where are your notes, where's your outline etc?" NO WONDER we all read so slow and go over meaningless things 8 billion times. We were forced to do it for 12 years!

Home Schooling is 10 times faster than learning in school but the problem with that is you don't learn how to interact with people you don't like. THAT's what school is for. You learn how to deal with idiots in school, starting with your teachers. In Catholic Schools you learn at a very early age what HYPOCRACY is and you see everything from the inside out, not how everyone wants you to see things.

Teach your kids when they get home using PR.

#23366 09/12/01 01:32 PM

I think there are a couple of reasons why PhotoReading is not taught in schools - the seminar is really designed for ages 13 and up, which to me suggests that there must be a certain proficiency by the inner mind in understanding vocabulary and sentence structure before the inner mind can be allowed to process the information. By the time that you reach that point, most people are firmly entrenched in the "one word at a time" type of reading paradigm. Also, the education system needs to work with things that the American people believe in and are ready to pay for with their tax dollars - PhotoReading requires, I think, too much of an intellectual leap for many to accept.

Concerning whether or not a government desires an intelligent and educated populace - I think that in today's world the answer is generally "no". You want a trained people who can be trusted to carry out tasks assigned to them, and distract them from wanting to participate in the activities that really control their world. This might sound rather Machievellian, but if you think about it for a moment you'll also realize that most people are perfectly content with that situation. Most people do not want to be bothered to think, expand their horizons, or take the responsibility for where their lives go. I am not saying this is good or bad, but that I think it simply is. I also think it is far safer to have people in power who routinely exercise their leadership skills and negotiate relationships among groups of people than to have "Jimmy-Bob" decide that, although he knows nothing, he has "had enough" and is going to "take control of the situation". In any case, "you pays your money and takes your bet" and hope for the best.

Craig M. Parsons-Kerins

#23367 09/13/01 05:02 AM

Homeschooling - It's definitely faster! But's it's not true that you don't have to deal with people you don't like - just because your home schooled doesn't mean you hang around your family all day (at least my experience). If the population is dense enough in your area your parents usually meet up with others in the area that homeschool and I guess they barter classes. For example, my parents hated math but my mother has degrees in English, French, German (native lang), and Spanish. So she taught all the homeschoolers English class (+ foreign languages if they wanted), and in exchange I would go to the some other homeschooler's house who parents had degrees in something else like history, science, math (or math experience) like euclid geometry, trig, spherical trig, stats, calculus, concrete mathematics, etc! Our classes sometimes had up to 20 other kids in it. Plus if you know what career path you want to take (me - computer science) early on your parents can hook you up with people in the field who know what you need to know so you have some guidance (not like those clueless guidance councelors I see in cartoons, and hear from my friends, they remind me of managers from dilbert cartoons). Then you can learn subjects revelant to your study way before college and actually get prepared. The end of year test they make you take (the state) are so easy. By the time my "senior" year came the tests were six years behind, so my last 5-6 years of home schooling I didn't need to take classes to pass those tests just took whatever I felt like, mostly related to computer science.

What is sad is that people tell me that they learned things over and over and over again - like one guy who said that he his math class was basically aritmetic from 1st grade to 5th grade (should take only one or max two years), learned about the american revolution and civil war(over and over) from 3rd grade to 10th grade (6 too many years IMO, should take 1 year). Phys Ed never developed into anything (choosing one sport you like and getting really good at it, learning to eat right, and setting up an excercise routine you can keep at), it was basically playing some lousy games for 15 minutes and the rest of time is wasted on roll call, picking teams, etc, and making sure everybody has the right clothes (?!) on.

I'm not saying homeschooling is perfect but I see why so many schools seem to give a subpar education. They seem to keep back people because of the slowest common denominator, I would think classes would start getting really boring after hearing the same s*it for the 2,3,4,5 year or more. And by the time kids can start choosing their classes (stuff their interested in) it's probaly around 10th grade and they get to pick what, maybe two classes out of six? Who would want to sit through stuff like that - it sounds way too boring. Also way too many useless things take up time in school like rollcall (why not a sign in sheet or someting it would take less time), classes for 45 minute instead of longer (like college has 3 hr classes if you take it in one stretch), and I don't know what else! Homeschooling only seems to be growing as a backlash to all this crap!

I would think you could get a basic core education by sixth grade (good reading/writing skills, arithmetic and algebra, critical thinking skills, phys ed/body development, maybe even a second language) and then let the student start choosing what he wants to learn that he could start using in his life. So many schools in other countries teach that by sixth grade, why can't the US.'

Sorry about the long post but this subject really burns me sometimes because I'm in college now and I see the same crap popping up here too from time to time and it affects the rest of society!

quote:
Originally posted by Andy030:
Home Schooling is 10 times faster than learning in school but the problem with that is you don't learn how to interact with people you don't like. THAT's what school is for. You learn how to deal with idiots in school, starting with your teachers. In Catholic Schools you learn at a very early age what HYPOCRACY is and you see everything from the inside out, not how everyone wants you to see things.

#23368 09/13/01 05:23 AM

Thanks for the post, Chaos, it was good reading. My kids are lucky to be in an above average public school and I bet 1/2 to 2/3 of their day is still wasted. For my fourth grader, it's likely to get worse because this year they have to spend time each week learning how to take the assessment test the state requires at the end of the year. So, rather than learning to think, they'll be learning specifically how to pass a certain test.

We know many home schoolers and the "lack of socialization" argument is an empty one if the parents are responsible. Parents do swap training. A local museum offers home-schooler science class. A local YWCA offers home-schooler gym class. The nature preserve offers home-schooler field trips. There are also things like AYSO soccer, scouts, dance class, etc... If a home-schooled child fails to get socialized, it's his or her parent's fault and it isn't because of home-schooling.

#23369 09/12/01 06:03 PM

Exactly!

#23370 09/12/01 06:47 PM

In my opinion, homeschooling is way more superior than public schools. The kids learn faster and better. I would homeschool my children, as I think most parents would, if they had time to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved