Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SDSUBio Offline OP
OP Offline

From a Canadian newspaper, worth sharing.
America: The Good Neighbor.
Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:
"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.
Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these
countries is today paying even the interest on itsremaining debts to the United States.
When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of
Paris. I was there. I saw it.
When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.
The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.
I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?
Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk aboutAmerican technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.
You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unlessthey are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.
When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.
I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans
in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.
Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."
Stand proud, America!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is one of the best editorials that I have ever read regarding the United States. It is nice that one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest of the world would realize it. We are always blamed for
everything, and never even get a thank you for the things we do.

Maybe each of you can copy send this to at least one person and they might send it to one of their friends until this letter
is sent to every person on the web.
I am just a single American that has read this,I SURE HOPE THAT A LOT MORE READ IT SOON.

SDSUBio,

I had to answer on your post. Not to convince you into something but to let you tknow there is other side of it all. The side I have seen.

I agree that USA spends a lot of money 'on other countries'. Did you ever ask yourself why is that? USA is capitalist country where money is main drive and motivation (no secret there). If you don't believe so, check current USA behaviour. Let's take ecology treaties. How many of those did USA sign, and how many of those it applied. It signed all right (of course, USA wants to protect this planet) but it didn't start applying main protection measures (it costs too much). And everyone knows that it is USA which contributes to this problem the most. Do you really think that country like that spends its money just to help? Do you really think that that money comes with no strings attached?

I live i Bosnia and I have seen the other side of it all. When war started I was too young to make sense of it all. Why? I never hated anyone just because of their nationality. Are others so different from me? After the war I figured the war wasn't started because of people but because of MONEY. It probably sounds movie-like to you but it's true. Politicians wanted the war. They created hatred and war (distraction), picked up money (everyone was busy fighting) and left. Those people were supposed to represent us and they sold whole coutry for their personal goals.

Tragedy which happened in USA few days ago is terrible. Over 1000 innocent people died in one day. I am sorry for those people and their families. But, something like that was bound to happen. USA has much more enemies than friends. Strangely enough (or maybe not), most of the enemies are coutries which USA (so generously) helped. There is one thing about USA help - you CAN'T REFUSE it. And it ALWAYS comes with strings attached.

Don't believe me.
- Check IMF (International Monetary Fond) action in Asia in last decade. It ruined good economies and made them dependant on international (read: USA) help.
- Check NATO actions on Balkans. Take Albanians for example. First, Serbia wasn't giving them any rights (so they said) so NATO bombarded Serbia. Result: Albanians are privileged on Kosovo and Serbs are running away (who's protecting needy now?) while Serbia's economy is devastated (but don't worry, USA will help).
What happens now is that Albanians attack Macedonia. Still no one stops them (they are the ones who need help!?) and Macedonia is full of international soldiers and center of politicical awareness (and it won't be left alone soon, you'll see).

I won't go further. But, do you see a pattern here? First there is war to make a country weak and dependant. Then USA helps (through IMF, NATO, etc.) by forcing what it wants. SSSR fits in that pattern also. 'USA help' is just another fictional story.

I am writing this because I am sorry. I am sorry that I and everyone I love and know lives in depleted Uranium radiated envronment. That was news flash for 2 days but we're left to live with it; no help this time - how could there be help when it was NATO who did it (even though it was against all regulations and common sanse)? I am sorry people in America died only because someone wanted revenge. I am sorry that no one paid attention when my people were dying. Instead handfull of 'international organizations' came to make us how they saw fit. No one carred. I am sorry that no one pays attention to every day deaths in the rest of the world. I am sorry people believing in what their news station presents them, instead of thinking about it. I a sorry that someone believes his government more than in his neighbour/friend. I am sorry for many things I have and have not seen, but I still hope and believe. Everything happens for a reason, whether we see it or not.

Here, I refer to USA as a governing body, which leads foreign policy (public and hidden). Please note that I have written about negative side of USA. However, there are many great things about it. I am drawn to practicality and resourcefullness of Americans. I cherish non-governement organizations, many of which founded in USA. Do not make prejudiced opinion on this text if it contradicts your beliefs. I have only written about things I know for SURE, not the ones I have heard of.

Just like any other country in the world, the U.S. government has adopted and enacted policies that other governments (and many individuals and groups within the U.S.A.) have objected to. In my opinion, this is not the time to pour salt in the wounds of America.

May God bless and protect all innocent people .

Sincerely,
Gregory

What can we do? Pray, give blood, vote and use your power of free speech to change things.

blah blah

p.s blah

[This message has been edited by xiaosam (edited October 16, 2001).]

The 40 bill is going to repair damages you moron, not to jsut attack others. BTW the CIA/NSA/FBI know more than they let you know.

BTW These ppl didn't attack a governmental building or a building with a lot og governmental ppl in it. There was SOME US Customs there and that's about it.

quote:
Originally posted by xiaosam:
The trouble with you americans is that you think your better than everyone else. Millions of innocent people die every day due to senseless violence, starvation and hate, and how much of that is ignored? People say "oh it doesn't concern us so who gives a sh it" And how many innocent people have America killed in all the wars it purposely participated in even when it was none of its business.

The thing that really gives me the shi ts is G. Bush going to waste 40 billion on revenge when he doesn't even know who it is.

Doesn't the Bible say, "Do not return a wrong with a wrong, instead let God's anger take revenge for you" (not a direct quote).

I hope this does not offend too many, as many in this forum is prabably american

Xiaosam,
I, has many Americans, disagree with many of the actions of government. But I agree on some.

1. We do not think we are better. We haven't had a war on our land since 1776, so we are afraid and also, if we do not retaliate for the strikes on the Pentagon and WTC, we will show the world that they can wage war and get away with it.

2. Yes, the Bible does say that, but it also say to dend yourself. (I.E., David and Goliath, for one.)

3. GW Bush know it is Bin Laden, and the Taliban says it could be Osama but will not help us.

While I value peoples opinion, I think that a person needs to know all the facts before they comment on a sensitive issue such as this.
Take Care,
jonah the proud yank

quote:
Originally posted by xiaosam:
The trouble with you americans is that you think your better than everyone else. Millions of innocent people die every day due to senseless violence, starvation and hate, and how much of that is ignored? People say "oh it doesn't concern us so who gives a sh it" And how many innocent people have America killed in all the wars it purposely participated in even when it was none of its business.

The thing that really gives me the shi ts is G. Bush going to waste 40 billion on revenge when he doesn't even know who it is.

Doesn't the Bible say, "Do not return a wrong with a wrong, instead let God's anger take revenge for you" (not a direct quote).

I hope this does not offend too many, as many in this forum is prabably american

Xiaosam,
I, has many Americans, disagree with many of the actions of government. But I agree on some.

1. We do not think we are better. We haven't had a war on our land since 1776, so we are afraid and also, if we do not retaliate for the strikes on the Pentagon and WTC, we will show the world that they can wage war and get away with it.

2. Yes, the Bible does say that, but it also say to defend yourself. (I.E., David and Goliath, for one.)

3. GW Bush know it is Bin Laden, and the Taliban says it could be Osama but will not help us.

While I value peoples opinion, I think that a person needs to know all the facts before they comment on a sensitive issue such as this.
Take Care,
jonah the proud yank

Hello every one, good morning.

I'm a person stay in a devoloping country, South East Asia, Malaysia. It is a small country, surounding by ocean.

I stay in the other edge of the earth, yet I keep wacthing at the TV for around 5 hours when the tragedy is happening. In my country, there is already mid-night. At first, I can't accapt the fact that U.S. has been attack at its own land and we, and the U.S. gorvement was nothing can do to counter the terrorists. I saw the plane collided into the WTC and the building was collapsed. It just like the movies we saw in TV, but the only thing difference is, it was real, the building is collapsed, the peoples is death.

I feel very sorry to the U.S. peoples and the innocents, espeacilly the passangers on the planes. I just can't imaging if I was one of them on the plane, and I knew that my plane is going to collide with a building...
I just can't describe my feeling on it... it was horrible, a nightmare, how is my love ones who is waiting for me for gethering... I just can't imaging how they feel when seeing my plane collide into the building...and their love one was going to death.

I don't know why there are so many sellfish's people on the world. Why most of us was only concern about our own benefits, and neglet others poeple, even pushing them to die. Ofcouse, there is no perfect person on this world, so do I. I'm trying not to sellfish with other but always, I obtain a bad result. Like I'm going to donate blood to the hospital, but many people think that I'm stupid, to give my BLOOD to save some one I don't konw. Some even stopping me to donate. Finally, I only can donate silencly and try to keep secret of it.

My country is build with main 3 races, they is Malay, Chinese, and Indian. Most of the big head in garvoment is Malay, then you can imaging what the problems is. We, Chinese students, obtain 10 A1 out of 10 subjects but has been refuse to enter university. Those Malay, they only need to obtain very few A, even no A also can enter the university. We have to pay extra money to study overseas for some subject like medicine. It cost us a lot of money instead we pay TAXES but get nothing for our furture.
I only state very few problem here, talking too much 'sensitive' things will be catch by ISA(Internal Security Act). The ISA can catch people without any prove. They just said : You interupt the peaceful of the country. All things the garvoment don't want us to ask they just put it under 'sensitive' issues. Who object who go to jail.

For my solution, there is always many problem occuring around you and me, on the east or the west. I don't think we need to claim that who is right and who is wrong, or the American smart or Muslim smart. As I'm a nuetral person, I realized that in many things the American is better on the world, but some other thing the east peoples is better, too. I'm still under 21, playing a very tiny character in the world, no newspaper going to public my name and waht I said, no one is going to concern what is my opinion, no one know me. Like I knew, there is no perfect people in the world, yet I'm trying to do my best to be better, trying to do some very tiny contribute to the earth.
Chinese people said, if you are the one to tie something, then you must be the one who responsible to release it, and no wave without wind in the ocean. No one is absolute right or absolute wrong.

I don't know whether you are understand what I'm try to telling here, may be my english is not statify enough. Finally, I just can prey, wish all of us wake up from the nightmare, trying to do something good FOR YOU AND FOR ME AND THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACES.

AGAIN, I FEEL VERY SORRY TO THE AMERICANS AND THE INNOCENTS. FOR THE INNOCENTS' FAMILIES, PLEASE ACCEPT MY CONDOLENCE, AND TOGETHER, WE PREY FOR PEACE, FOR THE WORLD.

Edgard

Hi Edgard--
Thanks for your concern. While I really do not know much about the situation in Malaysia or the ISA, all I can say is to keep on being a caring and kind person, that will speak volumes to people and hopefully, your kindness and concern will 'rub off' on other people.

Take Care,
jonah

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved