Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mark1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I saw a programme on the TV a couple of weeks a go called Mind Control 2. The host on the show photoread a dictionary and then handed it to the librarian. The librarian then went to a page, told the host the page number and the entry and the host told him the word (definition) exactly, knowing all the full stops, hyphens etc.

Can this be learned if you buy the photoreading course/book?

Mark

I've heard the same thing as Mark. If anyone with experience using PhotoReading could reply to the post I'd appreciate it.

Brett

I heard the same thing..Some famous old basketball player does that...i heard he can do that with a phone book and he wanted to get people to learn how to do that

Sounds a like like somthing I saw on TV a few weeks ago too. I started a topic on it - here's the link:
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001078.html

As for the telephone book memorisation thing, I listened to a course by Brian Tracy called "Accelerated Learning" and he refers to a guy with an average memory who learned the LA telephone directory by heart. I think it took him four years, altough I don't think he was using photoreading.

hello, Darth Vader, what's your opinion on "Accelerated Learning"?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi Rob!

Do you mean "Accelerated Learning" the course, or accelerated learning in general, or both? I will gladly give you my opinion, but please be more specific as to what you want my opinion on.

Regards

Vader

Hi Vader,
You mentioned in your post that you listened to Brian Tracy's "Accelerated Learning" course and I was wondering if what you thought of it. In particular was there anything that helped you in your learning endeavors.
The second part of your reply intrigued me. Pardon me if this question shows profound
ignorance, but isn't accelerated learning just learning at quicker pace, or is it different approach to learning?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi RobC

I'll answer your questions in reverse order.
Firstly, you are right in thinking that accelerated learning is "learning at a quicker pace" but the key if HOW. If accelerated learning meant just doing the same things you are doing now in order to learn, only faster, then we would all be doing it already.

I remember reading or hearing, maybe in the course I listened to, that the approach used in most classrooms only appeals to 20% of the pupils, leaving the other 80% believeing that they are incapable of learning or getting on in education. This is not the case. Accelerated learning encourages you to work with more of your intelligences and approach subject in a different way that might be mre appealing to your dominant intelligence. It also involves using both sides of the brain together as much as possible, melding the logical with the creative. In this way you become more effective as a learner ergo you learn faster. Relaxation into alpha state - like the acelerated learning state accessed in the "Photoreding" process, or slow, baroque classical music plays a part in acelerated learning as does use of colour, hands-on experience etc. Accelerated learning is of particular interest to me because I am a teacher.

Accelerated learning is a holistic process that also works to improve your own self image and belief in your capabilities.

The course I listened to gives a really good idea of the processes and theory behind accelerated learning. I think the approach is a sensible one that does not make wild claims about what can be achieved. The course aslo comes with a booklet by a British guy called Colin Rose who has been involved in accelerated learning for years. If you want some ideas, you might like to start wih one of his books, although I have to say that I haven't read them, as I had the audio course.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing or reading somewhere, I think it was on the introductory video to "Photoreading" that LSC use his book "Accelerated Learning" from time to time. Maybe someone there could give you an opinion about it.

Hope this helped a little.

Vader, thanks for the information on the course.

You did hit on something that some educators/psychologist believe is the
wrong approach and that is appealing to one's 'dominant intelligence'. They
contend(if anyone has more information, please feel free to elucidate/correct)
that there are mental blockages i.e. undeveloped brain functions and that people tend
to overcompensate for these defeciencies by depending on developed brain functions
(dominant intelligence).

Deborah Sunbeck advocates using a method she calls the 'infinity walk', while Win Wenger
believes 'image streaming' to stimuate these other areas.

As far as accelerated learing goes, I'd imagine that anything that increases the rate at
which one can learn would be considered 'accelerated' -- speed reading, photoreading,
mnemonics, etc.

Rob

Well, how much will PhotoReading aid in memorization of a topic? If, say for instance, I wanted to memorize the Bible, would PhotoReading it a bunch of times helpful, or would just photoreading it a couple times satiate me with all that can be derived from it as far as inner-conscious retention?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved