Hi folks,

I have learned a bit about CGI scripting and had a links page on my family web site for quite a while. It was Matt's Free For All Link script. I was forced to remove this script as someone had a robot or something link to the script and add all sorts of unrelated links.

Since this was a small script with no locking mechanisms to prevent this kind of thing, it ended up crashing the original links page and making it useless but continued to post links to the data base until it ended up being over 6 megs!

I had to remove the script as it was not capable of handling this kind of traffic. It was a personal site and not meant for this kind of traffic.

In hopes that this was a one off, I have since set up another Free For All Links page for the St. John Ambulance folks in this area. I feel they have done good work in our community and deserve our support. However, the same thing is starting to happen to this links page as well.

The bottom line is that this is a personal site and meant to have folks add only St. John Ambulance related sites. This activity is causing quite a problem and if it doesn't stop I will be forced to remove this script as well. That would be a shame and I hate to do that.

I followed one of the links and it took me here. If this is the origin of where these links are being generated I would like to make an appeal to the person that is doing this.

Please leave our personal private web sites alone. We don't have the ability to fight back. Our only option is to close the pages down. These sites are not high volume sites and don't get a lot of traffic so the reason for adding them is even suspect.

I appeal to your good nature....Please let us have our links pages?

My thanks in advance,

Cat =^..^=

Catharina Hogarth,