Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24152 10/21/01 11:52 PM
OP Offline

Would like to hear experiences of anyone with ADD/ADHD who has succeeded with course, or who has helped someone with ADD/ADHD to succeed. Thanks.

I also want to try photoreading with my nephew.

He is diagnosed as ADD/ADHD. Then a few months ago, a clinical/developmental psychologist checked on him and diagnosed that he was mentally retarded. It was a big blow in our family.

We were at a loss coz ADD/ADHD is unheard of before in the PHilippines. Before, he was also mistaken as autistic. Now, mentally retarded?! We were confused.

With therapy, understanding and unconditional, now at 5 years of age, he almost had perfect scores in Language, Reading, Comprehension and Mathematics ---all in english. He's very bright and has a very good memory. He displayed behaviors that are not typical of special children. He socializes and plays with kids his age. Well, he does display behaviors that are symtoms of ADHD and also that of an INDIGO CHILD like, has high degree of sensitivity, excessive amounts of energy (hyperactive), short attention span, resists authority and etc. His teachers told her mother that he is right-brained. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that in photoreading, you utilize the right brain. It did cross my mind that maybe this course might help him but he is too young. I read somewhere that 11 yrs is a good age to start the photoreading course. I just dunno how it would affect children who are also diagnosed w/ ADD. I observed that my nephew would look at a book, stare at it wide eyed and turn the page after a few seconds. I dunno if he's just impatient or that's photoreading or something.

Gadowneast, I watched or read somewhere that sometimes children are thought to be learning disabled and are falsely diagnosed as ADD/ADHD when infact, these children are potentially gifted. Yours could be.

And I quote, "most gifted children like ADD are right-brained visual learners. These children are not going to cope in the kind of learning environment (left-brained,sequential learning like in schools) that's why many children are labeled as problem children and ended up being given drugs like RITALIN to make them compatible with what is considered the norm".

Anyway, if there's somebody out there who taught photoreading to an ADD/ADHD, please reply to this post.

Thanks in advance.

I also want to try photoreading with my nephew.

He is diagnosed as ADD/ADHD. Then a few months ago, a clinical/developmental psychologist checked on him and diagnosed that he was mentally retarded. It was a big blow in our family.

We were at a loss coz ADD/ADHD is unheard of before in the PHilippines. Before, he was also mistaken as autistic. Now, mentally retarded?! We were confused.

With therapy, understanding and unconditional, now at 5 years of age, he almost had perfect scores in Language, Reading, Comprehension and Mathematics ---all in english. He's very bright and has a very good memory. He displayed behaviors that are not typical of special children. He socializes and plays with kids his age. Well, he does display behaviors that are symtoms of ADHD and also that of an INDIGO CHILD like, has high degree of sensitivity, excessive amounts of energy (hyperactive), short attention span, resists authority and etc. His teachers told her mother that he is right-brained. I remember reading somewhere in this forum that in photoreading, you utilize the right brain. It did cross my mind that maybe this course might help him but he is too young. I read somewhere that 11 yrs is a good age to start the photoreading course. I just dunno how it would affect children who are also diagnosed w/ ADD. I observed that my nephew would look at a book, stare at it wide eyed and turn the page after a few seconds. I dunno if he's just impatient or that's photoreading or something.

Gadowneast, I watched or read somewhere that sometimes children are thought to be learning disabled and are falsely diagnosed as ADD/ADHD when infact, these children are potentially gifted. Yours could be.

And I quote, "most gifted children like ADD are right-brained visual learners. These children are not going to cope in the kind of learning environment (left-brained,sequential learning like in schools) that's why many children are labeled as problem children and ended up being given drugs like RITALIN to make them compatible with what is considered the norm".

Anyway, if there's somebody out there who taught photoreading to an ADD/ADHD, please reply to this post.

Thanks in advance.

OP Offline

i love chocolates:

Thanks, program would be for my nephew who is a smart kid, VERY hyperactive and resistant to authority, and has been diagnosed as ADHD. He's also very interested in a variety of subjects, but just needs to find something to keep his interest.

My rationale was that if I could get him to learn faster in the short periods he can spend on homework, we'd get better progress in school. And by doing that, we'd take one of the big problems off the table that is slowing him down. If he learns more about a certain subject, he might be able to make himself focus on it for a longer period. The only thing I've seen him focus on for a longer period is computer games or action movies, both of which feature quick-changing scenery and rapid movements, which I guess would appeal to someone with limited attention span. He also is a very good athlete, which seems to help him focus to some degree.

I'm going to go ahead and get it for him, see if it works, and will report back with what we see for results. Thanks for your comments

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved