Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24561 11/04/01 07:19 AM
OP Offline

I know that it is stated that you are garanteed 3x faster "info take in", but compared to regular reading, is all the steps of PH, activating, dipping, rapid reading, etc. really that much faster than just reading the material straight through?
Also, for the average person that uses the PR course, what is the percentage of comprehension?
Also, I am intereseted in checking this course out, but from some off the stuff I have read, it seems a bit "new age"...does anyone else think this?
thanks,
jesse

#24562 11/04/01 02:49 PM

Yes the coarse is alot faster than reading the material straight through.It might be even more than three times faster.And depending on how much detail you want will determine how much time you will spend in the book .
I guess the percentage for comprehension all depends on how well you were relaxed . comprehension all depends on you.
I dont think the coarse is new age but I do know it WORKS. So even if it is new age why would it matter?

#24563 11/04/01 04:21 PM

My previous reading speed (before PR) was about 1 page every 15-20 seconds so I could get thru a 200 page book in an hour BUT I would only have the gist of it and maybe a couple key points and I'd have to go back thru anyway again if I wanted any more than that. With PR I can do that in under 10 minutes and that's comparing PR to speedreading NOT normal (the way everyone else does it) reading. Once I throw in all the other steps from that point you just can't compare them anymore. There just is no comparison.

The only thing "new age" may be the saying (mantra) you use to occupy your attention during the Photoreading step but the rest of it is NLP or age old relaxation stuff.

#24564 11/04/01 04:56 PM
OP Offline

to andy:
so for you to PR a 200 page book, and do the activation, dipping, rapid read, skittering, etc. it takes you about 10 minutes....to do all of that? and have good comprehension of the material u read?
also, is the comprehension you talk about, an overal view of the material, or comprehension detailed enough to write an essay over?!?!
thanks,
jesse

#24565 11/04/01 05:18 PM

You don't necessarily use every activation technique on every book.

#24566 11/05/01 06:54 AM

In 10 minutes I could get the GIST of it, not have it down. An hour of speedreading would accomplish the same thing. In 50 minutes (10 minute preview and 2 20 min superread/dip/skitter sessions) I would be done with the whole thing for good. Your question was "is it really that much faster than just reading the material straight through?" and the answer is- it's faster and you have it understood more thoroughly because you're doing something very different than just starting at the beginning and reading all the way thru to the end. Your going thru multiple times at high speeds and even if you finish with rapid reading you'll have your old time beat plus have more of it remembered. If you slow read something you are still going to have to go back over what's important to you and PR does this in it's steps and in less time. As Lomas said, you aren't going to activate everything you read. You may go thru a book and find nothing that you need- just think if you were to have slow read it.

[is the comprehension you talk about, an overal view of the material, or comprehension detailed enough to write an essay over?!?!]

An overall view can be achieved very quickly. The level of detail that you want from a book is going change as you read it. You might want to get more into certain parts of the book and less into other parts. I've found very few books that I want to comprehend 100%. Even with excellent books such as "The Einstein Factor" I find I'm blowing by much of it because I either already know it or I'm not going to do it and I quickly get into what I will do. If I were to slow or speedread I'd still have to read those parts= wasted time. Thanks to the PR step, purpose and mind probes I know what I want and where to get it. If I were going to have to explain the book or do an essay I'd throw in a 10min mind map.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved