Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24726 11/10/01 06:53 AM
Rflow21 Offline OP
OP Offline

Does ones writing become more stronger after PRing?.............ie u write much more - and perhaps faster?

#24727 11/10/01 07:30 AM

I don't think it gets faster but after PRing books you'll want to write in a way where it will be easy to read. Some books go on and on and on and the author says nothing in 90 pages and you're like "man, I ain't ever going to do THAT so someone."

Susan Powder's Diet book "Stop the Insanity" was like that. That book made me realize the "problem" with word processors. It's easy to just sit and rant and rave endlessly. Years ago when everyone had to either write with a pen or use a typewriter (where it wasn't easy to correct mistakes) they wrote more slowly and thought more before putting anything down.

I think that your creativity and sense of purpose in writing will increase by doing PR, especially doing mind maps. If you want to write something you should Mind Map it first so you can look at the whole thing in one shot and if you want to organize it better or add things here and there it will be easier to see where it will go.

My Mind Map for the "Rich dad/ poor dad" book showed me the author had no idea what he was trying to say and that's probably why he made up that whole "I had 2 dad's story." He made that whole story up just to fill pages of his book. Without the bogus story he had a 3 page report on his hands.

The book "The 10 secrets of abundant health" was the same way along with "Who moved my Cheese?"- long, stupid, pointless story surrounding enough ideas to fill a post it note. In my book that's THEFT! Theft of time and money. Those 'authors' should have the **** kicked out of them.

If there's anything to learn about writing thru Photoreading it's TAKE IT EASY ON THE POOR READER. Figure out what you want to say, organize it, emphasize it, back it up and from there all "filler" you add is justified, if you use it at all.

My book was intentionally wrote so that it could be read in an hour and experimented with indefinately, if I can ever get the thing published, and yes, the idea came to me from PRing a ton of books.

I forgot to mention that my book was written in about 8 days. Getting published is 1000 times harder than writing the thing in the first place. I've PR'd tons of books on getting published but there ain't no easy way unless you want to go online and my book has charts so....

[This message has been edited by Andy030 (edited November 10, 2001).]

#24728 11/10/01 08:52 AM

Probably the best advice about writing that I ever received came from my Freshman English teacher at college: she said to keep in mind that you are writing for the reader and not for yourself.

As simple as it sounds, that really seemed to help me out. It made me proof read in a different way, and I think it's helped me with my writing ever since.

So there!

-Nick

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved