Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24980 11/27/01 02:59 AM
OP Offline

I do not understand about mind mapping is it just like sub headings and trigger words or does your subconcious mind just tell you i just dont understand some one help me.

#24981 11/27/01 03:41 AM

Try this exercise:

Get a piece of paper, a large piece preferably, turn it sideways.

Draw a circle or any symbol for the word: happiness in the center.

Then start drawing branches off of it as ideas come to mind. Say you draw a line & have food printed on it. Then off of that line you may have steak! Just brain storm for happiness as it means to you.

Then do another exercise w/ yourself in the center. Main branches may be family, friends, work, goals, hobbies, etc.

By doing these exercises, you will get a feel for MMing. W/o having a feel for it, it will be confusing & difficult to learn. One of the best ways to get moving on a MM for anything is to ask yourself questions. What makes me happy? Who makes me happy? When am i happy? What can i add to my life to make me happy? What can i subtract from my life to make me happy? Where can i find personal happiness?

Same goes for studies. Use your trigger words or your interest to ask questions. Major ideas are major branches w/ solid words. The branches off of the major branches just come naturally as you think<<< MMing makes us think about the material & our relationship to it. For anyone who just memorizes everything, MMing will be very confusing. MMing brings us to the level of thinking about the subject & what you want to know about it. By following your interest, you get more quickly into the big picture of it & in this way you get a handle on it quickly.

good luck---seeing forever

quote:
Originally posted by glasseagle:
I do not understand about mind mapping is it just like sub headings and trigger words or does your subconcious mind just tell you i just dont understand some one help me.

#24982 11/27/01 07:01 AM

I dunno if this helps or not...

Here is a link on a "how-to" for mindmaps: http://www.mind-map.com/mindmap/HOWTO.HTM

Here's a picture of one:

Hope that helps. I highly recommend the Tony Buzan book, if you can get a copy.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

#24983 11/29/01 03:49 PM

My suggestion is to go to your local book store or Amazon.com and order Tony Buzan's THE MIND MAP BOOK. By far, this is the best book out there for learning how to mind map, and it makes an excellent book to practice photoreading on as well. In fact, I believe that the Photoreading Personal Learning Course would be greatly improved if it included this book.

On Tape 6 I believe of the Personal Learning course, Paul Scheele guides you through a mind mapping exercise with the Photoreading book and the Natural Brilliance book that is quite helpful for people who have no experience with mind mapping.

Mind mapping is one of the most untapped resources and yet it is truly effective.

#24984 11/29/01 11:01 PM

Joe, Nancy Margulies & Joyce Wycoff offer unique information to MMing that is not found in The Mind Map Book. Plus, there is a comic book by Nancy Margulies that is quite an excellent teaching book for learning MMing. That comic book is really better than Tony's book. In fact, unless you have actually compared the Margulies comic book w/ the Buzan book....you really can't say his is the best.

I have all the books; have read them; and for young people wanting to learn MMing...the Margulies comic book is the best by far.

I think Zepher has it or if not them then the DePorter people, but i think it's Zepher.

#24985 11/30/01 12:34 AM

Whats so good about mindmap anyway. To me, it's just another fancy word for brainstorm that i have already learn in school.

#24986 11/30/01 01:53 PM

MindMapping is a multi-purpose tool: It can be used for solitary brainstorming, but most of all it's an alternative notation to conventional writing, paralleling PhotoReading which is an alternative to conventional reading.
For example, I use MindMapping if I have to write the protocol of a meeting. It is faster, so I can participate myself; it is shorter, so I have less paper to carry; it is non-linear, so I can add arguments/points if the discussion jumps forward and backwards through the topics.

I found that MindMaps help me to remember more about topics.
Exmample: Lately, I discovered an old MindMap (pre-PhotoReading) of a book about non-verbal communication. After only a few minutes, my old color code came back to me, and I could remember an astonishing amount of what I read - and I only worked through the first half of the book during one night watch I had. I brought the book back to the library and put the MindMap aside for about three years.
Isn't this great?

Jens

#24987 11/30/01 03:52 PM

Mind Maps used to be called Book Maps YEARS ago. I have no idea what book I read about them first in but it's a very old idea and I highly doubt anyone can claim to have invented them or have the best book on them.

Margaret, can you tell me the specific title of the MM books you were talking about? I want to get them. Thanks.

The book that mentioned book maps had a huge variety of patterns. The ideas shot out like fireworks and fell down the page like rain.

I forget where I saw it but I saw one that went along a time line and was a huge assortment of pages taped together.

#24988 11/30/01 04:17 PM

In "Speed Reading the Easy Way" Howard Berg (Mega Speed Reading), offers his take on mind mapping, and he calls it book mapping (tm). Tony Buzan, however, is the recognized authority behind Mind Mapping. It was his research and initiative which gave rise to mind mapping. All leading authorities, including Paul Scheele, recognize that it was Tony Buzan who invented mind mapping.

Margret, good for you. If you've found additional books that you think are helpful regarding mind mapping, then by all means recommend them and read them. As an interesting side note, however, on the edition of J. Wycoff's mind mapping book that I have, the publisher has included an endorcement for the book from...Tony Buzan.

Michael Gelb (How to think like Leonardo Davinci) also has produced some materials on how to make and use mind maps. His could be helpful to any beginner.

#24989 12/01/01 06:02 AM

The book I'm talking about was written before Tony was even born. It had many ways of note taking and none were really talked about as an AMAZING way to take notes. What's amazing to us is not amazing to a genius.

Actually, a TRUE MIND MAP should have information comming straight from your mind. A book map should only have info from the book. What we're all really doing is Mind/Book Maps, hehe.

And what do we call it when we got purposes in one corner, trigger words along the sides, questions at the bottom, a mind map in the middle and traditional notes on the opposite side of the page? "THE PARCHMENT OF ACTIVATION?"

By the way, There's an article in the PR course that said a girl made up MM's. So all this debate and doubt is Paul's fault, haha!

[This message has been edited by Andy030 (edited November 30, 2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved