Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#25020 11/27/01 11:30 PM
OP Offline

I know that photoreading works. After you go thru all of the steps (preparation, preview, photofocus and activation) you'll have kind of a clear picture of what all the book is about.
However, I have many times wondered if photofocus step really gives you anything. Couldn't it be just a fake that is no use? I mean, if you went thru all of the steps of previewing and activation without using the photofocus, wouldn't the results be the same?
Does photofocus really get material into your subconscious mind? Are there any scientific data on this issue?
Could photofocus alone be of any use as Scheele states when he offers you to try synoptic reading?

Please, someone help me.
Thanks.

I post this a lot...it's a post by SDStudent, a really helpful one:

It was called something like Abstracts (research) on how photoreading might really work.

<<Clinique de Neurologie et de Neuropsychologie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris.

The sudden resurgence of precise information some time after the failure of its recall (memory block) suggests the intervention of unconscious processes. In normal subjects the experimental demonstration of such processes meets with methodological snags. They are avoided in patients with a pure amnesic syndrome because retrograde amnesia produces many instances of missing memories, while anterograde amnesia prevents the patient from consciously thinking about it. Three patients with a pure amnesic syndrome were submitted to 4 interviews over 12 days on 3 topics concerning places and itineraries that were very familiar before the disease, and a shocking event of their life. Retrieved memories were compared to those of normal matched subjects. The results showed a dramatic increase for memories of places and itineraries over sessions, and the absence of improvement of autobiographical memories. These findings underline the role of the activation of unconscious processes in recall and the different status of semantic and episodic memory.

Unconscious learning during anaesthesia.
Anaesthesia. 1993 Mar;48(3):275

Jelicic M, De Roode A, Bovill JG, Bonke B.

Department of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

Forty-three surgical patients were, during general anaesthesia, presented (via headphones) with either statements about common facts of some years ago (group A), or new verbal associations, i.e. the names of fictitious, nonfamous people (group B). None had any recall of intra-operative events. In a postoperative test of indirect memory, patients in group A answered more questions about the 'common facts' correctly than those in group B (p < 0.005), which reflects the activation of pre-existing knowledge. Furthermore, patients in group B designated more 'nonfamous names' as famous (thus falsely attributing fame) than patients in group A (p < 0.001), which demonstrates that information-processing during anaesthesia can also take place as unconscious learning.

The effects of conscious and subconscious processing of hostility- or friendliness-related words on the personality impression of others].

: Shinrigaku Kenkyu 1989 Apr;60(1):38-44 [Article in Japanese]

Ikegami T, Kawaguchi J.

Aichi University of Education.

Four experiments were conducted to investigate how the prior processing of trait relevant information influenced upon the impression formation. Twenty university students participated in each experiment. First subjects performed a cognitive task in which they processed hostility (Exp. I, II) or friendliness (Exp. III, IV) related words, consciously (Exp. I, III) or subconsciously (Exp. II, IV). In another ostensibly unrelated task, subjects rated a stimulus person on several trait scales based on an ambiguous behavioral description, regarding to hostility (Exp. I, II) or friendliness (Exp. III, IV). It was shown that the more hostility words subjects processed either consciously or subconsciously, the more extreme and negative ratings they yielded. As for friendliness words, however, such effects were found only when they were subconsciously processed, not when they were consciously processed. It was argued that conscious processing was affected by positiveness or negativeness of trait words, but subconscious processing was not.

Unconscious processing of dichoptically masked words.
Mem Cognit. 1990 Jul;18(4):428-9

Greenwald AG, Klinger MR, Liu TJ.

In three experiments, the subjects' task was to decide whether each of a series of words connoted something good (e.g., fame, comedy, rescue) or bad (stress, detest, malaria). One-half second before the presentation of each such target word, an evaluatively polarized priming word was presented briefly to the nondominant eye and was masked dichoptically by either the rapidly following (Experiment 1) or simultaneous (Experiments 2 and 3) presentation of a random letter-fragment pattern to the dominant eye. (The effectiveness of the masking procedure was demonstrated by the subjects' inability to discriminate the left vs. right position of a test series of words.) In all experiments, significant masked priming effects were obtained; evaluative decisions to congruent masked prime-target combinations (such as a positive masked prime followed by a positive target) were significantly faster than those to incongruent (e.g., negative prime/positive target) or noncongruent (e.g., neutral prime/positive target) combinations. Also, in two of the three experiments, when subjects were at chance accuracy in discriminating word position, their position judgments were nevertheless significantly influenced by the irrelevant semantic content (LEFT vs. RIGHT) of the masked position-varying words. The series of experiments demonstrated that two very different tasks--speeded judgment of evaluative meaning and nonspeeded judgment of word position--yielded statistically significant and replicable influences of the semantic content of apparently undetectable words. Coupled with previous research by others using the lexical decision task, these findings converge in establishing the reliability of the empirical phenomenon of semantic processing of words that are rendered undetectable by dichoptic pattern masking.

Evidence of unconscious semantic processing from a forced error situation.
Br J Psychol 1984 Aug;75 ( Pt 3):305-14

Groeger JA.

A study was carried out to determine whether subjects extracted information from words presented below their recognition and awareness thresholds. A series of target words was used to generate the word matrix, which was a set of 24 words related to the target in specified ways. Following subthreshold exposure of a target word, subjects chose the word they thought had been shown from the word matrix for that particular target. It was held that the alternative chosen was a function of the type of processing the target was receiving. Results showed that structural analysis of the target predominated below recognition threshold, whereas semantic analysis predominated below awareness threshold.>>

Hope this helped.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

i have same concern with you.. but I've read somewhere that at first it won't be much different without photofocus step... but later it will start to work its magic..

now all i want to know is if the information enter brain under alpha state or not .... the course never talk about this

Administrator
Administrator

First: PhotoFocus. It occurred to me when developing the PhotoReading process that the literature on Preconscious Processing (ref. N.F. Dixon) was compelling. The question remained, how do we cause something that is consciously available to enter the brain without conscious interference?

I happened to be toying with Betty Edwards' work "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" when I figured that her "R-Mode" way of seeing for art purposes may well be applied when looking at a book and that might do the trick. It worked perfectly for me...allowing me to enter the R-mode with written materials. My wife made the parallel to the divergent gaze with the "cocktail weenie" effect, so we had a quick way of helping anyone achieve the benefit of entering R-mode at will.

At the time, there was a craze for random-dot stereograms which also made a perfect parallel case for how the brain processes what the conscious mind cannot see when in convergent or hard focus.

The next connection was to the work of the Embudo NLP Center and their Nightwalking course...leading to further long-standing evidence of "second-sight" and processing nonconsciously by shifting one's focal point of attention.

If you trace the same references, the evidence should mount in favor of PhotoFocus for you as well. I tried to describe it in the PhotoReading book. You might re-read that section.

But you might ask yourself if your question is about nonconscious processing of information or about PhotoFocus. Because if the nonconscious acquisition of information is your issue, check out The User Illusion by Tor Norretranders, specifically the chapter called The Bomb of Psychology.

The second point to consider is that the value of entering PhotoFocus is immediately recongizable on an EEG. We use the IBVA (Interactive Brainwave Visual Analyzer) to study the effects of PhotoFocus and PhotoReading. We (LSC PhotoReading instructors) often bring it a long as a demo during our teaching of the course.

Entering PhotoFocus has an immediate effect of creating a brainwave signature characterized by higher amplitude waves in both Low Beta and High Theta simultaneously. Curiously, ALPHA is NOT very active. In fact, it seems remarkably supressed. That makes sense in that our goal is not to connect the conscious and nonconscious during PhotoReading, but to route information directly into the nonconscious. Alpha is known to mediate between the two. We see Alpha show up in activation, and in more elevated amplitudes than with regular reading.

But the MOST exciting thing is to see how quickly the brain signature appears when simply entering PhotoFocus. It is that state of the eyes that seems to create an instantaneous neurological cascade in favor of this new type of information processing.

In summary, not only is PhotoFocus important, it seems to be THE stimulus that triggers everything useful about the PhotoReading whole mind system...a true step into a new paradigm of information processing. Keep testing it for yourself until you are satisfied.

if alpha is the wave that connects the two "minds", can we just use that somehow right from teh getgo? i mean, i know we're supposed to get into alpha state to photofocus..but didnt you just say that photofocus is more theta (and low beta)? so...i'm guessing we're not really getting into alpha state to get into alpha state, but more to relax, etc...so is there a way that we could use the alpha for more than just relaxation purposes and use to directly d/l the info to the brain AND link the info with the conscious at the same time? am i even making any sense?

:\

Scheele ,

In your photoreading book page 107, " .. This charasteristic "brain signature" appears almost instantaneously upon entering photofocus, suggesting that the ideal brain state for photoreading may be linked more to the state of the eyes than to the physical relaxation of the body..."

Does this mean that we don't have to get into the alpha state because we're instantaneously in it when we enter photofocus eyes (seeing the blip page) ?

Have you ever use IBVA to study the effects of photofocus without entering the state? will the other-than-concious mind be able to read even in the beta state?

Administrator
Administrator

Ahdy--
Alpha is fine for relaxing and activating. More alpha helps to lower the predominance of high beta, so it has a net effect of de-potentiating the conscious mind. That's good for using more of the whole mind.

Consciousness follows in sequence after the nonconscious has determined what is important for the conscious mind to know. So you PhotoRead and then become conscious...not simultaneously, but sequentially. That's why you can flip along and suddenly feel a need to stop and back up a page to discover the answer to a question you have been asking. To be conscious of everything during PhotoReading doesn't make sense. The nonconscious processing of information to the eye is 10,000,000 bits/sec. The conscious awareness of what the eye sees is 40 bits/sec.

Don't waste your time. Let you nonconscious guide you. Get conscious afterwards. You can speed up the time between PhotoReading and consciousness, but they are still sequential unless you learn to tap into infinite intelligence, but that's a different paradigm than PhotoReading.

Threeapun--
Correct, you don't have to go into Alpha first. I train people to do so to learn how to de-potentiate the conscious mind.

My first experience with the IBVA was to merely enter PhotoFocus...no 3-2-1. Just a breath in, gentle exhale, and PhotoFocus. The EEG immediately registered the change in state to the characteristic signature created by other PhotoReaders I hook up to the machine. If they enter PhotoFocus and maintain state, they are in the zone. Interestingly, if they break state, they know it and it also shows on the machine.

thanks. tho something you said intrigued...you mentioned tapping into "infinite intellligence"...what is infinite intelligence? how can you tap into it? have you tried/been successful?

...curious, i am. : )

OP Offline

Scheele,

being in the zone might create that characteristic brain pattern and all that, but that is no assurance that photofocus gets data into your subconscious mind. I know for a fact that pre-conscious processing exist. As someone who has been using hemi-sync for quite some time and has a strong belief that OOBEs exist (I can clearly perceive in your book that you may also have these sort of beliefs, or knowns as Robert Monroe would say)I know that subconscious mind exist and that it's far more powerful than our limited conscious left brain. I am also aware that if I am under anesthesia everything I am hearing goes right to my subconscious mind. I'm also aware of the fact that our subconscious mind could be fed from many sources.
So far, I agree with you. However, I am quite skeptic about photofocus getting data into your subconscious. I think that just seeing a "blip" page and seeing with soft gaze is no assurance of data being transfered to your subconscious. How can you know that for a fact? I am quite sure that most of the evidence regarding photoreading success comes from the knowledge acquired during previewing, activation and rapid reading and that photofocus could have nothing to do with all that and be completely useless. How can you prove that photofocus step does really give you anything? If I just use the fotofocus step without previewing with 100 math books and use my university math classes as the only way of activation, will I have achieved anything?
Please, Paul Scheele, help me. I am sure that many many people are asking to themselves similar questions.

Scheele ,

As far as i know , the subconcious gets everything. does this mean that it reads everything we see?
if the answer is yes then how photoreading step is different from any other activities if our subconcious always read everything we see?

if the answer is no , what's the switch which order our subconcious mind to read?

In the personal learning course, you said everytime we do photoreading step , we're making new neural associations.so if we photoread a lot of books per day, we will experience some spontaneous activation (Bissonette've mentioned about this countless times) i wonder how can that happen? how can photoreading makes new neural association??

Please help me. I have to know how it works in order to belive it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved