Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25372 12/18/01 02:37 AM
curryj Offline OP
OP Offline

After reading several entries for the last 2 hours, I've ordered PR. I hope after completing the crs, I can read through the same material 3 Xs faster.

For you experienced users (besides humphrey- since I've read his remarks (unless of course he has some more insight)), what knowledge can you pass to me that would help me be successful with this program? I've had problems following through on things and really need to succeed on this one!

Thx!

#25373 12/18/01 04:51 AM

Here's an advice: dont question the Photoreading Whole Mind System!

Its kinda obvious but its important for you to know while learning photoreading. I have a friend who keeps questioning the reliability of this system and from having too much questions, he gave up on it. I mean it's okay to ask about certain techniques in the program, but try not to ask why you have to do it or what's the use in doing so. Just follow the system and you'll get it.

Ask HOW dont ask WHY.

#25374 12/18/01 11:23 AM
curryj Offline OP
OP Offline

Thx! I can use all the help I can get!

#25375 12/18/01 02:32 PM

Use your 'Exitement' as your driving force to successfully learn and apply PR!

Excitement is a tremendous emotion ... it can be a great ally.

#25376 12/18/01 04:29 PM

If you remember that there are different types of reading and that not all types are suitable for all types of books- you'll avoid a huge pit of frustration.

For instance, the newspaper can be delt with by Superreading and dipping in about 10 minutes UNLESS you find something really interesting. However, you may have to slow read a philosophy book and repeat several things several times to even begin to get what's being said.

Also, you can Photoread and not activate for a specific purpose. The chapter on Direct Learning will explain it.

We get into trouble when we want the impossible right away.

"Concern yourself with small tasks, then proceed to greater" some wise guy said that.

#25377 12/18/01 04:38 PM
curryj Offline OP
OP Offline

This is awesome! Thx everyone. I really appreciate your insight. Hopefully, your experience and assistance will be the boost (& stick-to-it-tiveness) I need to be successful in PR. I really can't wait to start!

#25378 12/18/01 10:56 PM

Hi CurryJ!
You've said it twice now - why do you "need" to be successful this time? If you are trying to prove something to yourself (or to anyone else) then you have set up an obstacle that will keep you from quick success, and you will ultimately prove yourself (or them) right in that you couldn't get this to work right for you this time either.
If, however, you read the materials, practice it the way they say to in the book and tapes, ask questions here (I'm a newbie myself) and just relax and play with the whole "system" - then you will be just fine. In fact, you'll do absolutely fantasticaly!!

The key, or one of them anyway!!, is to do it the way Paul says to without thinking that you know a better way, a quicker way, a more useful way to you way. It's like baking a complicated cake from scratch when you don't know how it's supposed to turn out - do it the way the recipe says the first time. After you get the hang of it you can begin to modify the system to your personal needs.

For me, I am just beginning to do the physical mind maps - as doing them in my head (for me the better-way-for-me way) was not getting results like I know can be had. So ... I am having to take a dose of my own medicine!!

This system is not magic - you still have to "read" the book or material and work with it. It's not going to give you instant recall (or at least not overnight!) and it's not going to make the job of learning something new totally work-free. (Some people equate learning with pain and want PR to mean an "instant and painless way to have information stuffed into their heads." Then they are disappointed when it doesn't happen and blast the system. Which is too bad - and mostly the fault of our wonderful public school systems. But I digress ~ ) With PR you still have to get in there and work the material to own it, but this way makes it stick better and also lets you avoid most of the useless information that doesn't pertain to the reason you are reading the material in the first place.

Have fun with the course; read it, listen to the tapes, PR some books, practice, read the course again, and then JUST DO IT most every day! You will see results that are far more impressive than just reading word for word and writing an outline and trying like heck to remember what it was you read, and why, and where something was in the book so you can go back and read it again for more information or because you just liked how it was written.
Hope this has made sense. It's been a long day!

Ann

#25379 12/19/01 01:32 AM

For me one of the biggest hurdles was to change my paradigm for reading. I am about to read a book E=mc2 by David Bodanis. I borrowed it from a friend and I am really looking forward to talking about it with them. Last night the topic of energy came up, I already feel like I have an understanding of the topic, before looking at it. Why you are probably asking, well I have photoread many similar books.

You are also taught (not directly) to think about books and make your own theories.

So i will spend 3hrs on this book, which will take me normally 9ish. The old interfering noise in the back of the head might be telling me to read the old fashioned way. This used to be a problem but i now know from experience that it works. This here is important, dwell in any success you have. Remember less is more. It's the small things that count. These are not silly sayings, but with a little understanding behind them they are powerful thoughts.

I hope this has helped. I am willing to personally tutor you and although no expert, willing i am.

#25380 12/19/01 02:14 AM

"Minimum Effort", "Maximum Results"!
"By going slow, I go fast"!

#25381 12/19/01 02:14 AM
curryj Offline OP
OP Offline

This is incredible! The support from this community and for this program is unlike anything I've seen. I leave for vacation on Saturday, where PR should be waiting for me upon my arrival. I can't wait to get started!

Sincerely, Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved