Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25565 01/05/02 06:00 AM
Andy030 Offline OP
OP Offline

This is so stupid that I can't believe I'm wasting my time with it but it's bugging me more than anything else right now so here it is.

A zillion years ago I saw the movie "National Lampoons European Vacation" and I distinctly remember that part where Clark throws the hat off that tower in Paris and the dog jumps after it and lands in the water. I REMEMBER that dog being white and I remember seeing it land in the water from a side view. BUT I saw the movie on tv a few nights ago and it's a brown dog and the angle the camera is at when it hits the water is from behind. WHY did I remember that wrong?

Another thing.... the old movie "Gladiator" where they fight underground boxing matches there's this part where the older guy (can't remember his name, he was Tommy Boys father) punches the young dude and the young guy intercepts his fist with a head butt and says "Top of the head, hardest part of the body." Now, years ago when I saw it I remember the look on his face when he said that, it was just one of those looks you don't forget, partly because it's funny or cool or whatever. Anyway, once again I'm watching it on tv (I need a life) and at that part instead of showing the young guys face when he's saying that, it's showing Tommy Boys dad holding his hurt hand when he's saying it. I don't understand how I'm rememebering all these things that didn't even happen the right way.

It's as if I'm making everything up. Either that or there are 2 versions of all these movies. I know that there are different versions of the same movies with different cut and added scenes but I just don't get this. Not that the world's going to blow up if I don't start remembering the right doggie color but this is just one of those things that will wake me up in the middle of the night.

The MO course says that everytime you remember something you reconstruct the memory but I don't see how I would get the wrong dog color and view of the shot wrong starting from the first reconstruction and lasting years beyond that. Guy Finley says the same thing only he adds in all the psychological factors but none of it explains #1 why my dog is white and #2 why I have nothing better to do than to talk about this. Must just be one of those lazy Friday's.

#25566 01/05/02 06:51 AM

it is not the spoon that bends, it is yourself...

#25567 01/04/02 08:20 PM
Andy030 Offline OP
OP Offline

#25568 01/06/02 06:37 AM

Hey Andy,

Actually as soon as you said side view and white dog I was like, "Wow...my head must be a little screwy because I remember a white dog and a slightly overhead view." =) But I also saw it like a week ago on comedy central, so it's not like it was some amazing memory recall.

Gladiator had Brian Dennehey (sp?) but I can't remember correctly because I was thinking of the part where the young guy hits Tommy Boy Sr. on the top of the head and it's kinda screwing my perspective.

I'm thinking that maybe it's like a blind spot...where your eye can't see something perfecty it makes it up based on some judgements...maybe that's the way our memory works, which explains why we tend to play up really good memories and play down really bad ones...I remember thinking that the old He-Man cartoons I saw as a kid were incredible, and then when I saw a taped copy of an episode recenty, I honestly did not remember the animation being that shlocky or the plots being so bad. True, as a kid, the plot would probably be less campy, but the animation definately seemed completely different, as if they were two different versions: one in my head, and the real one.

As a sidenote, Thundercats stills rocks the house.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com ("...like shootin' pup-pies with a BB gun..." Steve Martin, Lil' Shop of Horrors)

#25569 01/06/02 03:31 PM
Andy030 Offline OP
OP Offline

In Gladiator Brian Denehe (sp?) does the same thing to the young guy first, that's probably why you remember it.

The only episode of ThunderCats that really sucks is the one where Excaliber stabs the eye of the Thundercat sword. I'm sorry, but that just wouldn't happen. The best one is the "Trials" one.

On www.newgrounds.com there's "BlunderCats" that's really funny.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved