Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25600 01/06/02 05:09 PM
OP Offline

Im pretty much new in this forum, so I am not exactly sure if this topic has been touched on before. I have gotten the photoreading self study course and have applied it perfectly to non-fiction books. I did a 3,000 word paper for my IB History class in about 4 hours after photoreading and activating 10 books with over 500 pages. However, I am having some trouble with Fictional novels. For non-fiction, I have a basic idea of what the book is about by previewing, and by having a report the mindprobing questions are relatively easy. But, I am reading a fiction book to find out what is in it, to gain a sort of enjoyment out of it. I have tried to develop some mindprobing questions, but they never seem to help. Just wondering how the people in this forum approach fictional books and how they (if they do) use different techniques for fiction and nonfiction books. Thanks in advance.

#25601 01/06/02 11:49 PM

I am having the same trouble as you with the fiction. I have tried PR and then rapid reading, but I don't seem to be getting any more out of the books (fiction) than if I didn't PR them. The comprehension is about the same also. I have seen in some of the posts that if you PR the novel, it will stimulate your other than concience mind and you will in turn be reading faster without knowing it. I am still playing with the novel aspect of it.

Like yourself, I am having great benifit from the course with nonfiction.

#25602 01/07/02 05:55 PM

Ditto to what both of you said. I just PR novels and then read them normally. My theory is that whenever we want or have to build the "mental movie" as we read, we can't read fast or our movie will be run fast in our heads. How fun would it be to watch a movie on FF?

My biggest problem with PR in the beginning was I was using a book that was 90% story and 10% meat and I just couldn't do anything with it. NOW I could do it, but not back then.

Nonfiction usually doesn't have a story line, just a bunch of facts.

Dana once said for novels he PR's then RapidReads. I PR then slow read but speed up over non important parts. You might ask what's the use of PR if you have to slow read anyway, the PR is like a subconscious preview. The only way you'll see what happens is to read 10 novels and only PR 5 of them before you read it. The ones you PR, you'll have an understanding as you read and I think you get more out of hidden meanings in the story.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved